Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2247686970717273 LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 1810

Thread: What's your new fiddle tune?

Default Re: What's your new fiddle tune?

Attempting to learn New Camptown Races.

[QUOTE=JL277z;1651120]My try at transcribing that tune, based on listening to it at half-speed. No guarantees of accuracy! The notes with big question-marks over them, are notes that I wasn't quite sure what they were - some of the question-mark notes might be wrong.

But I *am* certain that the *timing* is correct, and yeah it's a "crooked" tune alright, for instance the tune's first part has 9 bars instead of the usual 8.

Mandolin tab & standard notation for what I'm hearing in the Bruce Molsky version of Flowers of Edinburgh:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I like your transcription especially the lower string part of it. Here is the way I have been playing it through this transcription which for the most part is very similar to yours but not all. Thanks!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flowers of Edinburgh - Bruce Molsky.pdf  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woodwizard For This Useful Post:

Here's 4 tunes that I'm working on

Devil in the Haystack
    A Bunch of Chickens
    Bear Pen Hollow
    and Chinquapin Hunting

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

5. The following members say thank you to woodwizard for this post:

JL277z 

Quote Originally Posted by woodwizard View Post
    ... Here is the way I have been playing it through this transcription which for the most part is very similar to yours but not all. Thanks!
    Sounds good!

Cajun Fiddle

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

On a tear right now, learning many new tunes all at once:

Old Mr. Moore
    Halifax
    Spring Creek
    Chilly Winds
    John Brown's Dream
    Obama's March to the White House
    Moonlight
    Folding Down the Sheets
    Explore some of my published music here

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by lflngpicker View Post
    "Off to California" is a fun one I am enjoying.
    Same here !
    My two favorite pastimes are drinking wine and playing the mandolin but most of my friends would rather hear me drink wine! Adapted from quote by Mark Twain------supposedly !

If any mandolin player reading this thread is going to spend next week at the Centralia Campout, If you see the large round pumpkin colored tent beside the blue-green Prius stop to say hello.

My new tunes this week are:

Old time billy in the low ground
    Jaybird

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Ain't no Sunshine - david grisman version
    La Flaca - Jarabe de Palo
    Listen My Son - The Unseen Guest

I'm working on Sail Away Ladies, Kenny Baker version with Sharon Gilchrist at the Peghead nation course. Cool tune
    2012 Collings MT, Honey Amber Gloss with Tone Gard

Kentucky KM-276 (well, I used to have just one )

Proplec Picks

www.the-kindreds.com

Going to the Free State. The same thing that makes it crooked, also makes it breathtaking.

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    Going to the Free State. The same thing that makes it crooked, also makes it breathtaking.
    This tune?

Sounds like one I have been playing for decades but I learned it as "Avalon Quickstep". See Fiddler's Companion:

AVALON QUICKSTEP. AKA and see "New Charleston No. 1." Old-Time, Breakdown. USA, Mississippi. D Major. Standard or ADae tunings. AABB (irregular). The melody was first recorded in 1929 by W.T. (Willie) Namour and S.W. Smith, Mississippi musicians, and named for the town of Avalon, Mississippi (the name Avalon is the mythological isle to which King Arthur was borne after his death). The Avalon area was home to a number of influential musicians, including blues guitarist John Hurt and the string band the Mississippi Possum Hunters, who all knew each other (Narmour and Smith helped Hurt to get signed with the OKeh Records). Apparently, the town was so obscure by the latter part of the 20th century that it could only be located with the help of old maps. The alternate title was an attempt by them to cash in on the Charleston dance craze of the 1920's. The 'B' part has ten measures instead of the usual eight. Sources for notated versions: Arm and Hammer String Band (Vermont) [Brody], W.T. Narmour (Miss.) [Phillips]. Brody (Fiddler’s Fakebook), 1983; pg. 30. Phillips (Traditional American Fiddle Tunes), vol. 2, 1995; pg. 16. County 528, Namour and Smith- "Traditional Fiddle Music of Mississippi, vol. 1." Kicking Mule 216, Arm and Hammer String Band‑ "New England Conta Dance Music" (1977).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes - Old Sheet Music for mandolin

Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- Gibson TB-Junior -- National RM-1

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Sounds like one I have been playing for decades but I learned it as "Avalon Quickstep".
    Agree.
    Indulge responsibly!

The entire staff
    funny....

My fiddle player also knows this tune as Avalon Quickstep. To confuse the issue more, there's a completely different tune named Gone to the Freestate.

There are so many tunes hogging the same name, for instance the 4 unique tunes I play named Lady of the Lake. I've also come across tunes that have more than one name, like the jig Dusty Bob also called Jack is Alive.

Can someone explain to me how Going to the Freestate attracted two names? On the one hand, I suspect the Free State name could be the original, since it has a Civil War context. On the other hand, the mere fact that the tune is in the key of C has significance, since almost all the C tunes I play, and especially string band tunes from Mississippi, display direct influence from either ragtime or trad jazz.

Does anyone know what a "quickstep" dance actually looks like?

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Avalon Quickstep, at least the version I know is in the key of D.

Avalon Quickstep mp3 by Narmour & Smith

As far as tune names I would imagine that fiddlers like those today confuse or forget the names of the tunes so tell each other the wrong names and those get carried on over time. "I learned this tune called 'Going to the Freestate' from Mandolinning Jim Nollmand who learned it from... blah, blah"

Quickstep article here.
    Last edited by Jim Garber; Sep-07-2018 at 3:52pm.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook

Playing lately:
    1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead -- Brentrup A4C -- 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin -- Huss & Dalton DS -- 1937 Gibson L-Century -- 1939 Gibson L-00 -- ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo -- ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo -- Gibson TB-Junior -- National RM-1

I really look like that soliver's Avatar

After meeting David Mold to give his Silverangel a try, I watched a couple of his YouTube videos I fell in love with the tune Liza Jane. Many thanks to Barron Collins-Hill and Mandolessons for his lesson on this tune.

David's version:
    https://youtu.be/oNovt-Re6hM

Good stuff for sure!
    aka: Spencer
    Eastman MD-305
    Silverangel Econo A #429

Hand Crafted Mandolin Armrests
    Check them out here

"You can never cross the ocean unless you have the courage
    to lose sight of the shore, ...and also a boat with no holes in it.”
    -anonymous

Thanks Jim Garber for the extra info. Here’s my own take. The original tune was entitled Going to the Freestate, in the key of C, likely composed either by a slave or someone in sympathy with slaves, and given a title that evokes a free state where a slave would be a free man. But the tune was gorgeous, with a nice snap for dancing, and so it lasted, and was picked up by a white string band in the Deep South sometime in the 1920s to play dances where the quickstep was becoming popular. Obviously they wouldn’t play a tune entitled Going to the Freestate, so they simplified it, changed the name to Avalon Quickstep, and changed the key to D.

—Jim

BRW 3-point #65 (2009)
    Altman 2-point (2007)

Cold Frosty Morning
    My two favorite pastimes are drinking wine and playing the mandolin but most of my friends would rather hear me drink wine! Adapted from quote by Mark Twain------supposedly !

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Nollman View Post
    My fiddle player also knows this tune as Avalon Quickstep. To confuse the issue more, there's a completely different tune named Gone to the Freestate.
    Oh, we can confuse it more than that. There is a tune called "Going to the Free State" by John Ashby and the Free State Ramblers:
    https://fieldrecorder.bandcamp.com/t...the-free-state

In that recording he says he wrote it. The Free State in this context is part of central Virginia. The story I heard is that when John Marshall bought the land, the tenants figured they had never agreed to pay him rent, and so declared themselves a "Free State." You get there by taking exit 27 off of Interstate 66, and head south on the Free State Road.

John Hartford's "Homer the Roamer"

Working on Tomahawk I think by Tommy Jackson. Mostly playing on fiddle since it is a great dance tune and I have a square dance gig coming up.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook

Playing lately:

Off to California and San Antonio Rose !

"Western Country", a fiddle tune I will be re-learning after having not played it for a bunch of decades. I wrote my own arrangement in MuseScore (video below), to give me something to follow along with while trying to relearn to play it. Not yet tested on actual instruments - I wrote the guitar part for a standard-tuned 6-string guitar, but I don't currently own such a guitar (both my guitars are permanently tuned in 5ths like a mandolin but an octave lower, imagine that! lol). My arrangement also has an oldtime banjo part, but I don't have a functional banjo right now either (I bought a cheap new low-quality banjo earlier this year, it needs the frets leveled before I can seriously play the silly thing, haven't got around to it yet). Although the banjo part I wrote here is the way I remember playing it when much younger.

The chords are intentionally wild, I like them that way, IMO it more closely matches the hard-to-define oldtime banjo harmonies I was accustomed to hearing with this sort of tune.

MIDI playback of my MuseScore arrangement:

(or direct link to video)

It's intentionally slower and bouncier ("swing" rhythm) compared to how I started out playing fiddle tunes. I used to have a bad habit of sometimes tearing through tunes at warp 10 with probably insufficient attention to detail, but my new 'thing' is to slow down a little and work on details. When I get around to actually playing this tune on real instruments, I will likely play it at about the same speed as in the video, instead of a faster speed that's probably more common.

I'm mulling over the idea of getting a "low D whistle" to play the basic melody on... I'm already ok with the required "piper's grip" on such instruments, so it might be something that would work for this tune. I've wanted a new low-pitched wind instrument for a few years now, and this might be as good an excuse as any to acquire one.

This tune also goes by other names. As far as I can tell, "Western Country", and "Susanna Gal", and "Fly Around My Pretty Little Miss" are all the same melody. The latter was a MandolinCafe Song-a-Week tune in August 2018.

P.S.: This writing down of multi-part arrangements prior to playing them, is something new that I've been exploring the last year or so. I never used to do that, I used to just keep playing until I had the sound I wanted. The only time I used to write things down was if someone asked me for notation or tab on how to play something, or if I wanted a reference for my own uses so I wouldn't forget how tunes started out. I like to experiment with new things, and this written-arrangement stuff is still somewhat of a novelty for me, and kind of fun to tinker with as well.

Those chords sound very much what a contradance pianist might do on this tune. The arrangement sounds pretty good and I like the swing feel. Of course, the midi makes me feel like I am on a carousel.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook

Playing lately:

27. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

JL277z 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Those chords sound very much what a contradance pianist might do on this tune. The arrangement sounds pretty good and I like the swing feel. Of course, the midi makes me feel like I am on a carousel.
    Thanks Jim!

Yeah the MIDI sound quality is not exactly optimal. I'm still in the process of getting used to it.

A while back, I did install an optional free soundfont which adds a bunch more 'instrument' choices, in addition to the default MuseScore soundfont, but it's kinda like cable TV - it gives a person a lot more options but it also takes a lot longer to scroll through all of 'em, only to determine that all the choices still kinda suck in different ways.