Thread: Recording software

Has anyone used the cakewalk Sonar series recording software. #I am looking for a windows based recording package. #A couple of questions for those that have.
    1. How is the acoustic audio input to the hard drive?
    2. How would you rate the sound quality?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

The acoustic sound quality will depend upon what interface you use. Any 24/96 interface shoud give "professional quality" sound, assuming you use it optimally.

The sound quality (IMO) is on par with the other major platforms.

You should be able to get a free trial download HERE

I recently switched to Adobe Audition 3. It was recommended to me by someone who teaches Pro Tools at a major university. It comes with everything, no need to buy extra plug-ins. I found it very easy to use. If you can take advantage of the educational discount the price is very attractive.

Thanks for the replies. Since I am new to software recording, can you explain how the plug ins work. I play acoustic mandolin, bass, guitar and fiddle. I also play electric instruments. A detailed explaination of the recording process would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do you mean software pluggins or how do you physically connect the mic's signal to the PC?

How you physically connect the mics.

Plug-ins are extra software features that you buy separately, either from the manufacturer or from third party companies. There are companies out there that only sell plug-ins for reverb effects, etc. Some companies sell less expensive stripped down versions of their software that may be adequate for basic users. Also consider that when you purchase a good input box, it will come with one of those basic programs that might be all you need.

Hi,

I've used Sonar and I can't really recommend it. It is a computer resource hog, and has a HUGE learning curve. If you are just getting started in PC Windows based recording, I would recommend Cockos Reaper. It was recommended to me by someone here (Petimar maybe?). It is FREE to try out and something like $50 for a non commercial license. Google it and download it.

In my setup I plug my microphones into an Edirol FA-101, which turns the analog mic signals into digital, which gets in to my computer via firewire. Other manufacturers make preamp boxes that output through USB. I chose this method because it takes some of the processing load off of the PC by doing the Digital/analog converting in a hardware chip in the Edirol box. If you buy a decent sound card, it will do the digital/analog conversion, but it will increase the latency because the PC is working harder.

Summary:

Microphone-> mic preamp->Edirol Fa-101->firewire cable->PC running Reaper

This gets me 8 simultaneous inputs during live recording. This also gets me editing, overdubbing, plug-in effects, timecode stuff (if you need it). I also have an audiophile 24/96 sound card in the PC, so I can listen through speakers when I mix down. I could go directly from the mics to the audiophile card and let it do the analog/digital conversion, but the Edirol works really well.

If you are just getting started, I would build the cheapest solution you can, and then buy the best microphones you can afford. You can always upgrade PC components later, and in small increments.

mikeomando
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

Oh yeah, Sonar is pretty expensive, too.
    Forget with the cowbell, already...

OK, the mics signal has to converted to a digital signal using a converter.

Unless you have a collection of (or even one) good mics and would like to spend as little money and learning curve time as possible I'd suggest starting off with one of the Zoom recorders. Their mics are supprisingly good and they have a built in analog to digital converter. I use the H4 in two ways, one for home and the other for field recordings.

1.) At home I use the builtin mics and converter to record directly into my PC with the software provided with the unit. All multi-track functions are handled within the PC.
    2.) In the field I use it to record in stereo, then dump the two tracks into the PC for eq and effects, if needed.

If you already own a PC that's good enough to record into, you can buy the H2 for about $200 and the H4 for about $300. (I think those prices are close)Use either of these to record individual tracks into the computer, then do the mixing, eq, effects and whatever and output it to MP3 files. Quick and easy. Not too much between you and the music.

Good luck.

I appreciate everyone's help. Still doing research but will be up and running soon.

Thanks again,

Mike

Don't rule out pro tools. There are different levels. The low end pro tools plugs right into the pro level software. It's the good stuff... At least price it out.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Monroerules -

One option that might work with minimal investment is KRISTAL.

It is a free multitrack software package with a few effects and can actually be used with your existing soundcard and an 1/8" plug/cord running from your mixer, pickup etc. An external #USB, firewire or PCI interface will also work and will probably provide much better sound quality than most standard sound cards. But, for the cost of a 1/8" adapter you can probably be recording in a few minutes.

The Kristal forum has a bunch of very dedicated users who are very helpful and welcoming.

One more positive plug for Reaper. I've abandoned Pro Tools, Sonar and Cubase for it.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music