Thread: I have got to hand it to Gibson!

I have been using J75`s exclusively since owning my Sam Bush three months now. I just restrung with Bush monel strings and I have been further blown away by the tone. I was hesitent at first because of the smaller diameter of the E, A D strings. No doubt they have a smooth balanced sound on this mandolin. # # I will be stocking up with huge quantities of these!!!! #

Darrell
    Gibson MM #V-70335 5/2002

mandojeremy and I have been preaching the praises of the Bush/Monels for along time...Im glad more people are catching on..

Tennessee (Still Missing North Carolina Though!)

Agreed Scotti but it could be bad for us if they do catch on! Shortages of Bush/Monels and then what would we do?
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

One more happy Monel user here! I got a bunch on clearance at guitar center for $4 a set, they're great!
    I have one set of Sam Bush monels and the rest are just billed as 'Gibson monel strings'. Do they still make the Bush set with the extra strings? That's a cool feature.

The Bush set is the only set you can get now except for the rare leftover stock of monels.
    If F-model mandolins have F-holes then why don't A-model mandolins have A-holes???

What are the string sizes on the Bush monel's? Are they a Gibson string, and if not who makes them? How do they compare with the Bill Monroe set that comes standard with new Gibson's?

.011, .014, .025., and .041 I would seriously doubt that a "Gibson" string is a gibson string because there are only a few string manufacturers in the US and Gibson isn't one of them. Try GHS, D'Addario, or Martin. There are a lot of string label manufacturers though!

[ I would seriously doubt that a "Gibson" string is a gibson string because there are only a few string manufacturers in the US and Gibson isn't one of them. ]

I do not believe this is correct.

Gibson does have a string manufacturing facility in the US.

I KNOW they make guitar strings there, and I suspect that Gibson mando strings are made there as well.

I stand corrected, I didn't know they wound their own strings.

I believe also that John Pearse manufactures his own strings, as well.

-Raf

Gibson has owned their own string mandufacturing facility for many many years in Elgin Illinois. I believe John Pearce are made by GHS.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Question for jeremy and scotti, with preamble to set frame in which to answer...

I have picked a few different types of strings, and have settled on j-75's, not for any silly "macho" reason , but because the larger diameter A and E sets. It seems that the tension allows the pick to "pop" off of those strings better than lighter gauge-and-tension strings...so, the question:

Do you find the lighter A of the Bush set sort of floppy?

Oh yeah...TS pick, semi-triangle (halfway between 346 and dawg styles), and moderate attack...not really Bush-esque arm flailing, but definitely not "quiet arm".

Thanks in advance for any discussion you might provide.

Believe it or not, I don't have any trouble with the A string and never did. When I first started using the monels about 6, 7, or 8 years ago I would switch out the A strings and use a .016 because I was used to the J75's and I did that for about six months until I ran out of extra A strings. Then I just used what it came with and I got used to it. It is much easier to do pull offs on the A with a .014 actually. I don't think you would have any trouble with them but you might want to wait until the new D'addario FS74's come out and try them because they have a .016 I think and they are stainless steel wound just like the Monel/Bush strings.