Thread: Oh my...

Well, I did it, I finnally got around to it and plugged in for real. And, wow is it nice.

I got a mandobird 8 string off a freind a while ago, but it was strung lefty and I was too lazy to switch it over thinking I wouldn't like it. But I decided it was time to try it out and wow, I'm hooked. I can play so much lighter and the sustain is opening up so many new possiblites. Not to mentiontion that I dont have to worry about feedback, ever. I play in a loud band and the ablitiy to turn myself up for solos is a godsend. I've played with a pickup for a while but I never seemed to be able to get enough gain before feedback to play lightly, I've had to use a lot of power and now I can start using some finesse.

I feel bad because in someways I would rather stick with acousitic, but electric seems to be the ticket right now. I'm already starting to contemplate trading up, since the neck on the mandobird is too thick and uncomfortable. the mann eletrics look mighty tempting.

I guess there isn't much point to this post other than to go, wow electric mandos are nice!

Oh wait, now that I think of it, anyone got any suggestions on running the mandobird into a fishman loudbox100? Its my only amp, and it sound pretty good right now, but should I try out some sort of pedal to help out the tone before the amp?
    Gotta start sometime, might as well be now...

I'm no doctor, but I sense a case of eMAS coming on.
    "Because of you I close my eyes each time I yodel"

I sometimes plug into an old "Blue Tube" effects box. It's supposed to make solid state amps sound more tube-amp-like and that seems to improve the tone. Plus the on off switch gives you a little more UMPH when it's your break. Not sure if they're made anymore. (But, man, wait until you run your mando through a wah-wah! That's an experience and a half.)
    Jethro lives! (Tiny, too!)

Is there a "talent" knob? Christian McKee's Avatar

As far as amps go, it really depends what you want. If you are open to the idea of a more "electric" sound that might crackle around the edges a bit, you might consider a Fender Blues Jr. or something similar (around $300 used.) My guess is that the Loudbox is going to keep adding a woody character to the electric sound, and if that's the direction you want to lean in, so much the easier. Got an electric guitarist in that band of yours? Plug into his rig sometime, and fiddle around a bit with effects and such, you'll start to get a sense of the possibilities. And if you decide to trade up, you might want to play your Mandobird as a four string for a while, and decide on single or double courses...

Buy two amps and call me in the morning,

Christian
    Christian McKee

Member, The Big North Duo
    Musical Director, The Oregon Mandolin Orchestra

Quote Originally Posted by (Tom Morse @ Aug. 15 2008, 16:56)
    (But, man, wait until you run your mando through a wah-wah! That's an experience and a half.)
    Oh my, that sounds like fun...
    Gotta start sometime, might as well be now...

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

get a marshall mg for it. My $100 mando loves it!
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock

I run my Schwab and Mann through my guitar amps...(Vox Valtronix and Fender Dynatouch), but that may be too over the top for some...
    PeacE
    Brian

If you are looking a cleaner tone, check out the Peavey ValveKing Royal 8. It's a 5 watt tube amp that runs about $199. Unlike other tube amps in this price range, the Royal 8 has a master volume and tone control. So you can dial in the tone you want and then turn it up. Most of the other 5 watt amps just have a volume/gain knob.

I just ordered a new speaker for it from Weber speakers. I'm looking forward seeing how it sounds.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

Oh my indeed!
    I just got back from band practice. I took an acoustic guitar, my Vessel F5, and my Mandobird. Ran the 'bird through a Boss overdrive pedal and a DOD stereo chorus/flanger into an Ampeg J12T. Band consisted of acoustic guitar, bass, kit drummer, tabla player, conga player, and me. The chick singer and the horn section (trombone and alto sax) couldn't make it tonight.
    Didn't touch the guitar all night.
    Split time between Mandobird and Vessel. Kept for ways to work the 'bird into the songs.
    What fun!

Daniel