Thread: East meets west

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Here's a cool video of John Reischman and a couple of his Jaybirds playing Katy Hill with Mei Han's Red Chamber group.

Katy Hill

...but is it really bluegrass?

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

That is freakin' fabulous!

Haha. That might be the weirdest thing I've ever seen. I love it.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

I didn't know they made a Pete Seeger model sanxian.

Bob

Excellent.....
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

Guillian Liu did a workshop with Tim O'Brian and Casey Dreissen a few years ago at the Edmonton Folk Festival and did a great solo on Working on a Building. She also got them to play on a Chinese tune. It was a great show.

Crazy.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

That's one of the greatest clips i've seen in a long,long time - very amusing in the nicest sense. Considering the difference between Oriental music scales & Western music,the Chinese players were terrific. One of the reasons that Oriental music sounds so strange to us,is that they use 1/8 notes & 1/4 notes in their scale patterns. To them it must have been like us playing in 'whole' notes without any semi-tones. Maybe someone more clued-up on Oriental music can explain it better - but terrific !!!,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Wonderful stuff...

Reminds me of that wonderful scene from "Hero" where the fighters request music from this terrific old string player before fighting.

You can just feel the passion and expertise of the player come through an instrument you've never heard before...

Very cool

Keith

It's so interesting how there seems to be a surge in combining bluegrass-y and Chinese music recently (at least in Cafe postings). #See Abigal Washington and the Sparrow Quartet http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=d6PotFtbUaQ, and then a recent posting with another Chinese (maybe Japanese...excuse my cultural illiteracy) player of an instrument that I don't recall the name of (and can't find with my limited search skills) for further details.

Do you think that it is from the recent prominence of China on the world scene in many arenas (economics, cultural, Olympics...), or maybe it is from musicians' attempts to create music that is new and different than what has been heard before? #In other words, is combining East/West "folk" music a similar creation to what Mr. Monroe et al combined to create a new musical form with bluegrass or Elvis et al with rock and roll? #Do you think that this trend will last and in 10 years we'll have a new forum on the MC under the "Music by Genre" section? #I ask this in all sincerity and respect, without trying to make a statement on WSM's unquestioned stature, skill, or originality.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

I don't know if I would call it a surge or not. #If you're familiar with Vancouver B.C. (Canada) you'll know that there is a large Asian population within that city. #It seems natural to me that this sort of collaboration would come about and I believe John has worked with these players on several ocasions.

I think the Chinese instruments fit in nicely since they're pretty percussive and I like the tonal landscape that is created. I really dig the break on the 3-string banjo-like instrument (Sanxian?). #Check out how she finishes it off. #Now that's good bluegrass!

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

right up my alley fo sure!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Blog Entries

Proof that we can all get along! That was absolutely great!!! Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

Man that was some fun pickin' & thanks for posting

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

As oflynny said: CRAZY!
    Did not stop smiling the entire tune. Would be interesting to hear the song with only the Chinese instruments - would be different - but very cool.

<Do you think that it is from the recent prominence of China on the world scene in many arenas (economics, cultural, Olympics...), or maybe it is from musicians' attempts to create music that is new and different than what has been heard before? In other words, is combining East/West "folk" music a similar creation to what Mr. Monroe et al combined to create a new musical form with bluegrass or Elvis et al with rock and roll? Do you think that this trend will last and in 10 years we'll have a new forum on the MC under the "Music by Genre" section? I ask this in all sincerity and respect, without trying to make a statement on WSM's unquestioned stature, skill, or originality.>

I've been thinking about some of the responses, which puzzled me a bit at first. This kind of cross-cultural stuff happens all the time in major Canadian cities and is not looked on as being unusual at all by Canadian interested in the arts. I wonder if it has to do with the multi-cultural vision of immigration in Canada vs. the melting pot model the U.S. has tried to use. I mean this in terms of the arts scene in both countries and have no interest in provoking a discussion about immigration policies. That, as we all know, would be against the law around these here parts.