Thread: My First Love

...I continuely kick myself in the hindend when I think of why I let this puppy go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mygilchrist.JPG 
Views:	327 
Size:	58.3 KB 
ID:	988  

I know the feeling Scotti.. My Gil 1985 left me ..oh why did I let her go

Some good could possibly come of this and a valuable lesson learned for some of us other folks here...a good mandolin is a good mandolin and the search for the holy grail should be done with your pick not your pocketbook.
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Is that the one Dudenbostel bought originally fron Gruhn?...It had triple binding on the top and sides
    Darryl G. Wolfe, The F5 Journal
    www.f5journal.com

..no..I dont think so Darryl..a buddy of mine sold this to me back in 1985...he got it from a Guitar show here in Ohio

My buddy brought his A3 to SPBGMA this weekend and I got to play it a lot. The resonance of that mandolin is amazing. Even though it's an X braced, f hole mandolin, you'd swear it was an oval hole when you play the wound strings over the sweet spot. You can fell the back vibrate like crazy---it's just awesome.
    Passernig #42

I had one built for me in 1995. It had block inlays on the fingerboard and it was incredible. I had to sell it to pay medical bills a few years ago and have missed it ever since. Steve builds a great mandolin. I wish I could get it back. However, it has nearly tripled in price since I sold it in 98. Oh well, life happens.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

Well, with my first mando-love I proved to be a vindictive ex. Don't just dump him, run over him with your truck. We're getting back togather tho.
    It's "Appalachia," (Apple-at-chuh), like I'm gunna throw an apple atcha' if you correct me again.

I found my Gilchrist yesterday and was able to talk to the current owner today. I did all I could to buy or trade him out of it, but he is not willing to sell for any amount at the current time. He is a known professional musician and says it is the best sounding and playing mandolin he has ever played. My hopes of a reunion are temporarily dashed. Oh well, such is life. It's not like I don't have enough great mandolins to carry me through.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest