Thread: Need string help

I just finished building a 5 string Mandola - calling it that because of the 16.927" scale. She is pretty and has great tone (demarzio hum and lace sensor single coil). I am using a blend pot 500K tone and volume pots with a .47mf cap. Works perfect. She has Schaller mini's and a hardtail bridge. She is neck through mahogony with flame maple top, and is a solid body. Here's my trouble. I have broken 5 E strings trying to get her to tune. I have tried .008 - .009 - .10 - and .13 electric guitar strings and all will tune to D but keep going and she starts to stretch and then break. I finally tuned top to D and started at the bottom with A but the C in the middle means I have to learn all new fingerings for each key. Would really like to have the C at the bottom. I even changed the E tuner thinking there was a burr of something. I need your ideas. Thanks - Joe
    Fender 52e
    Fender electric mandolin
    Eastman 514
    Gibson Songwriter cut-away
    Taylor 614ce
    Fender American Strat
    Gibson Les Paul

That's a very long scale indeed to get an E to work. I've got a 5-course (acoustic) mandola with 16" scale and just about get a .009 string to tune up to E -- however, it's so shrill that I now tune it down to D anyway. CGDAD is a really useful tuning in any case and I recommend you try that. Lots of Irish players tune their mandolin GDAD, and with your additional low C, you'll have some good options for chords and double stops and a nice range for lead.

If you want to go CGDAE, you may be better advised to look at the 5-string fan-fretted conversion shown here, which will make your instrument much better balanced. As you have an electric rather than an acoustic, you can probably get away with a less extreme fan spread.

Martin

Is 16.9" long enough to tune the bottom course down to F without getting all floppy and wandering out of tune? If so, you could keep it tuned in fifths (FCGDA) if that is your preference.
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

As a data point, Jon Mann's 5-string electrics are 15.5", which he's settled on as the compromise for a reasonably good C and an E that doesn't break.

17" is probably out of reach for getting your E to work.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

The Mann 5-String mandolins are 14.5", not 15.5". The extra half inch oes help pick up some the slack. I would think that a 5-string mandola would be tuned FCGDA. With the extra string going down instead of up. Basically a mandola with a little extra thump. Got any pics yet?

For those of you looking for 5-string mandolin strings, I'm having good luck with the strings from emando.com. I've tried about 5 different sets of strings since I got the Mann. These seem to be the best so far. I'm using the light set.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Just call it a "long scale" mandolin (or baritone as some do), tune it low G to high B, use a .009 for the B string and something fat for the G (I use a .50 on my Rono) and you're in business. If you capo at the 5th fret, you'll be in "standard" 5 string electric mando tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by (mando.player @ Aug. 04 2008, 10:55)
    The Mann 5-String mandolins are 14.5", not 15.5". #The extra half inch oes help pick up some the slack.
    Oops! Wow. My mistake...

I just looked on Jon's website, and you're absolutely right!

Thanks, Charlie, for the correction. Just in time, too, since I was committing to a new fretboard for my electric and had the measurements set to go for 15.5".

That's a new twist on measure twice, cut once, isn't it? A reminder to look it up twice before measuring twice!

That'll teach me to wing it from memory here at the Cafe!
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

Thanks for the help gentlemen. I have tried all the suggestions, and am trying the low G to high B. Seems to fit my style, but the five string is different. The G is floppy with the .046 so will put a .50 on soon. I will get some pics on here this weekend so you can see my new toy. Joe
    Fender 52e
    Fender electric mandolin
    Eastman 514
    Gibson Songwriter cut-away
    Taylor 614ce
    Fender American Strat
    Gibson Les Paul