Thread: Tailpieces & bridges

Cheer's to all of you happy e-mando builders and players!I've been making acoustics and electric guitars for quite some time now.Every time i go to eye candy electrics i start to drool.The bug to build one has bitten me pretty hard!I've been able to find a lot of pickups,custom wound and others;but were can you find tailpieces and bridges without having to use Bass one's.I don't really like the bass string spacing,
    Thanks all........Jim

Jim,
    I'm making my own based on a Tele bridge. I bought individual saddles to fit to my own base.

thistle...what is your string spacing using the tele bridge?or does the way you described make it adjustable?thanks for your reply. Jim

I made the base which allows me to determine the string spacing. Basically, I will just drill the holes based on the center of the string spacing for my acoustic.

thanks thistle....I have an old st moritz [generic tele copy]i believe it will work too.You know sometimes a man can't look for seeing!since i posted yesterday i started going thru some of my older stuff and i've come across a lot of possibilities. thanks again. Jim

Hey, let me know what you come up with. I'd be interested in hearing what others are working on.

Hey thistle....I will keep you posted on what i come up with.I would also like to see what everyone else has come up with.I've started several times to trim down a p-bass,but they are pretty heavy to begin with.The tailpiece on the old generic tele i was talking about earlier seems to be just about right.It's light weight but yet strong.For lack of a better word,i'll say it kinda looks like a scalloped tailpiece.I don't have a digital cam or i would send you a pic of it. thanks Jim

Hi

I cut down a hardtail Strat bridge for the LPVJ, and I'm using the same for some new ones I'm working on at the moment. You can get bridges that string through the body, and others that string through the back of the bridge.

Individual Strat style saddles would work too, but the body of the bridge needs to be chrome played or the height adjustment set screws will just chew into the rest of the material as you adjust the intonation. I tried with some aluminium angle and it was a fairly average experience.

I'm thinking of brass angle material, finishing it to a nice polish, then getting it plated. To make it worth the cost of plating I'm going to make 10 or 20, then add the saddles as I need them.
    Rob - Jupiter Creek Music - Australia