Thread: Stripey, blotchy iv top

Wondering if a black stain would cover up the dark brown stripey top I now have. Or a black top?
    If I go with black paint, is a flat black lacquer paint better or flat black enamel? I was planning on spraying on a coat of shellac first and then finishing it with many layers of shellac after the paint.
    Any ideas about doing it this way?
    Thanks...
    I'm going to do my research first this time before I touch the top again....
    becky rose

Spray shellac is trash #don't do it

If you are going to spray black ( can't say I would since I have not seen the instrument)

When we deal with furniture and folk art.. ( my gig) # spray flat black # #as many coats as you think necessary

light and no runs and several coats

when done #then # spray a #clear gloss or semi gloss over that #or satin ( my choice)

Get a can of KRYLON # flat black and a can of their clear... # practice on #a board or plywood or masonite or cardboard

but #no to the shellac...don't do it

Howdy brose,
    While you're awaiting a knowledgable answer, let me say that on my second IV kit I sprayed a sunburst top that didn't work out(using aniline dye/alcohol) and sanded most of it off and redid in a darkish amber - not what I wanted, but it looks fine(see avatar). You may have gone deeper by hand application, but I think the IV kits have plenty of meat on them. I suggest sanding it back some, and see if you can mute the bad effect of the first attempt.

My best, bennyb

If you need a good variety of choices,you can use (eek!,gasp!)automotive touch up paint. It's widely available in spray cans and works fine. A color coat or two topped off with a few coats of clear will give you a nice finish. I've used it a few times and been happy with the results. Admittedly,I do not have the sooper-dooper ear to discern sonic disturbances produced by use of a cheap and common product.
    Jim

Have you tried staining the lighter sections to try and even out the finish?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks for the ideas. I may try staining the lighter sections, and if that doesn't work, I am going with a black top. When it is finished, I hope I will be proud enough to post a pic. Thanks again.

Oh, should I spray flat back lacquer or enamel?
    And why, Jeff H., do you think that shellac is trash? I was given that advice from a very dependable source.

brose

He is refering to the pre-mixed shellac in a spray can. If you mix your own to spray it will be fine.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by
    If you need a good variety of choices,you can use (eek!,gasp!)automotive touch up paint. It's widely available in spray cans and works fine. A color coat or two topped off with a few coats of clear will give you a nice finish.
    You'd be following in a fine tradition, although one from electric stringed instruments, not acoustic. All of those classic Fender "custom color" finishes like Lake Placid Blue, Fiesta Red, Olympic White, and Sea Foam Green were done using automotive lacquer paint, and dedicated vintage enthusiasts have even been able to go back and match each color to the year and model of Cadillac or Oldsmobile or Mercury or whatever on which it originally appeared.

With that being said, I'd endorse Mike's suggestion above of going back and trying to stain the lighter sections to even out the colors. I have a hunch that, in the end, hand-staining comes to down to doing pretty much that anyway.

I did one blacktop and I used a liquid pigment lamp black which makes a solid black instead of a see thru stain. I mixed it in lacquer and used it as a base coat. Then several clear coats of lacquer on top.
    Another approach might be to get some form of flat black base coat although I don't know about Krylon, but a french polish over a flat black might be a nice look.
    You might think about a small burst though. I don't know how thick your top is but you could probably afford to attack the center with a palm sander with 220 and get enough of a patch to make for a small centered sunburst with very dark outside color to mask you problem area's. That's basically what I did to the mandolin I play. The places that show where I got some dark stain in the spruce actually give it a nice patina and somewhat antiqued look.