Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do after a practice session...

It's been a while since I had a truly horrible practice session. I'm relatively new to the mando (6 months), but played classical and folk guitar for 30 years. I've been fairly happy with my progress, though I *know* my mando needs a better set up. There's not much locally (Salt Lake valley, UT) I trust. So I struggle a bit with what is soooo easy with the fret hand on the guitar.

Last night was bad. I should have just stuck to scales. Now I'm irritated and frustrated like I haven't been in years. I usually do a couple of sets of scales (FFCP), a piece I'm trying to learn, some chord progressions, and then one or more pieces just for fun. I practice every day, but my fingertips ached and my tone was absolutely horrible.

I have a solid musical background ('twas my major in college), though I played bassoon professionally rather than a string instrument. I love a challenge, but...

What do you folks do when you have a rotten session? What do you do mentally? Physically?

Thanks for any advice...

BTW - I can't edit the title, but it was "cr*ppy", not something worse. Sorry if I've offended anyone.

I pick it up and practice some more.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Thanks, Mike. That was my plan...just telling myself the next time is a clean slate.

If you're that frustrated, stop practicing for a while and start playing. Pick a tune you like and whup it like a mule. Also, what about Intermountain Guitar and Banjo? Can't they do a setup?

Haven't checked Intermountain Guitar and Banjo...yet. <g> Thanks. Yeah, maybe I'm in a technique rut.

Yep, no one is perfect. Don't get frustrated and keep at it. When I'm not satisfied with my playing I practice more.
    Save up some money and take a trip to get your mandolin properly setup, it'll be worth it in the long run.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Blog Entries

My advice... try and try again.

Seriously, the setup is of paramount importance. Even if you ship it somewhere, the benefits will outweigh the drawbacks. It may move a little during shipping, but it will probbaly still be 95% perfect.

Judging by a map, you are within' a reasonable distance to a variety of great reources:
    1. Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments is about 360 miles north, in the southwest corner of Montana

2. Dennis Vance is in Arizona

3. The Great Divide is in Colorado

4. Numerous luthiers abound in a 400 mile radius

My suggestion is that you ship it somewhere that's within' that radius in order to get a great professional setup. I'll also add another opinion. I don't know what kind of mandolin you play, but in my experience a good mandolin makes a bug difference.

For example, My first four mandolisn were a non name from eBay, a $150 Stella, a $300 Alvarez, and a $500 Morgan Monroe. The Alvarez was the best of the bunch. When I finally bit the bullet and got a Breedloev Spirit - a lower end Breedlove model - it was incredible. The intonation, feel of the neck, responsiveness, and overall tone was markedly improved. I wanted to practice all the time because of how great it felt. When I got my first Weber, it was more of the same, except improved tone, to my ears, which is obviously subjective.

I started out on guitar too, without nearly the experience and preparation that you describe for yourself. However, when I switched from that acoustic electric Takamine with the cutaway to my Martin HD-28... good God. It was as if I never played before.

You know the drill. That's my two cents.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I'm 6 months in too, but without the guitar background. And I'm learning to read standard notation, and learning to improvise, AND I'm 55 yrs old. Making progress, though with almost daily practice. Just shrug it off, and pick it up again tomorrow, or tomorrow's tomorrow. Maybe it was something you ate, or there's a "bug" working on your system. I've had a few stinker practice sessions, and while it's happening, your heart just sinks. If you've been making some progress, bad days can be a message to mow the lawn instead!

Anita
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw

Can't measure progress from day to day, and a bad day is often prelude to a good day in the not too distant future.

Measure your progress from half-year to half-year, and if you've practiced daily (or almost daily), I can pretty much guarantee that you'll see substantial improvements.

Make sure you're measuring from an average or good day, not your bad day! The bad day's not really representative, now, is it?

BTW, it's actually an extra curse to have an advanced background in music, but to be a rank beginner on a particular instrument. Makes you feel like such a klutz! I should know... look at my signature.
    Doug Hoople
    Adult-onset Instrumentalist (or was that addled-onset?)

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

You know that old movie, "African Queen"? There is that scene when they are thrashing their way through dense weeds, the boat behind them, hardly making progress, at last rest for the night and the camera goes up showing there is now only a few feet left to open water.
    Practising is like that - it's not a steady progress, instead it's a rollercoaster of hope and despair. I guess that's because of the nonlinear adaptation of sigmoid functions in the neurons.

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

No need to ship it for a setup. Take it to Brian at Acoustic Music on 4th South near 9th East. Don't take it to Intermountain; they don't do that sort of thing anymore. When you want to upgrade to a higher-end vintage mando, that's the time to go to Intermountain.

"Few noises are so disagreeable as the sound of the picking of a mandolin."

Bertram, I like your phrase, "nonlinear adaptation of sigmoid functions in the neurons." That's just what it feels like! Can I adapt it as a quote to my signature? (Attributed to you, of course.)
    "Whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't, you're right!" Henry Ford

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." George Bernard Shaw

I have terrible practice habits, always have. I over-load myself, I'm working on 20 turns right now, I know it's wrong, but gosh is fun. My "to learn book" right now is a little crazy, Celtic, Old Time, Dawg, Classical, Bluegrass, why can't I make up my mind?
    I play them all at least twice a day and every once in a while one will pop out learned.
    Then I'll replace it with something wierder. There is no relief. I alway date them so I know how long I've been struggling. Adam Steffy's break for Shenandoah Breakdown is starting to yellow, just can't get it up to speed, maybe never will.
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon
    www.myspace.com/oldcircle
    Just my opinion, but it's right.

I have been playing for only about 7 months. There have been some days that I am all thumbs. When this happens to me I am unable to play my way out of it for that particular practice session. I have found that if I stop practicing and move on to something else for awhile, all is usually ok later even if later is only a couple hours later.

Bad days happen to everyone. I do my very best to give myself one day "off" from music weekly. Sometimes that day off imposes itself on me when I begin to practice, but can't make anything work. On those days I finish up quickly with something I've got a handle on, and enjoy playing, so I put away the instrument feeling good about my playing. Then I forget about it for the rest of the day.

Jeremy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Dragonflyeye @ July 02 2008, 14:10)
    Just shrug it off, and pick it up again tomorrow, or tomorrow's tomorrow.
    If I could play it perfectly, there would be no need for tomorrow.

Actually, whether its a good dayof practice or a bad day of practice, I think you will find you generally get the same amount done, just some days the benefits are hidden, and don't come out until later, when something is suddenly... easier.

I always try and end a practice with a tune or run I know real well, just to remind myself its not all in vain.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

You didn't say if you actually go out and play with humans. Practicing is fine but playing with others is mostly what it is about. Also, I am not sure what genre of music you play but, if you haven't done so already, find other like-minded and similar level players to play with.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Forgive yourself, give yourself a big hug and move on! Takes time to build callouses and finger strength. I agree with others, relax and keep it fun. Play for shorter sessions more times during the day. If you can have someone give a good setup on your mando that can make playing night vs day! Your practicing a lot of great stuff there and when it all comes together...bam!!! It will be sweet!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I have a couple of beers, plug in the Sam Bush CD, get PO'd 'cause I can't do that, and play some more. Either that or change the strings......

Professional Dilletante Rick Banuelos's Avatar

I call the producer of my beer show and lambaste him to get the full pilot episode done. Then, I walk out to the park and take batting practice.

I'll then come back home and play a different kind of music with a different instrument. I've only started playing bluegrass in the past year, and learning fiddle tunes can be very taxing at times. Try playing something you don't usually play.

I then defer to W.C. Fields: "If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. No use being a damn fool about it."

Then, I go cook.
    Rick Banuelos

Burien, WA

2002 Mario Proulx OM/D
    2009 Weber Custom A

You guys are AWESOME! Thanks for the pep talks, and reminders that I'm a human, and that it should be fun, and that it takes time. I will definitely get the setup done. Thanks for the pointer to Acoustic Music, Tom. Mine's in Ibanez. I bought it after trying a half dozen instruments in the same general price range purely on tone and the little bit I knew about mando playability. As for playing with other folks, I play a lot with my fiance: he's a guitarist. I took up the mando to add something spicy to the instrumental mix...so we play and sing several times a week. It's usually older tunes, some grass, with a few modern tunes mixed in. I've really enjoyed learning some Celtic pieces: I can use the classical training there more than with basic chord accompaniment. I'm picking up some improv, but it's pretty early in the game. And, Clyde, you're definitely not alone with a mix. Before I even bought my instrument I'd started putting together a binder of all the pieces I wanted to learn...and I add to it a lot. There's a little bit of everything in it. It helps to keep things fresh.

Thanks, again, to all of you! You're great!

One thing to keep in mind, even at it's worst, it ain't diggin ditches. I know, I've spent my time in the ditch. It can be frustrating, but it should always be fun.
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon
    www.myspace.com/oldcircle
    Just my opinion, but it's right.

mvivit

Maybe you should try to structure your practices on a schedule. I have taken up the practice schedule a board member gave on another thread. Devote (I hope I am correct but this how I do it) ten minutes to scales, exercises. Ten minutes to items you play well. Ten minutes on music you are trying to learn. Ten minutes on new material.

Hang in there. Just cause that horse threw you off does not mean you can't get back up on it. You did want to ride the horse right???

Weagle

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Dragonflyeye @ July 02 2008, 20:49)
    Bertram, I like your phrase, "nonlinear adaptation of sigmoid functions in the neurons." #That's just what it feels like! #Can I adapt it as a quote to my signature? #(Attributed to you, of course.)
    Sure, I'd feel very much honored.
    But you should be prepared to explain it a lot to people not familiar with artificial neural networks...

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world