Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Free sam bush / chris hillman concert

As part of the City of Olathe, KS' FREE Summer Concert series, they will be hosting a FREE Sam Bush / Chris Hillman concert on July 11 at 7:00 at Frontier Park.

For more information please see the following link.

Woohoo!
    John

Fullerton Gloucester
    Mid-Missouri M-11W
    [expensive mando placeholder]

That's gonna be a GREAT! show. Wish I could enjoy it too. But ... it's a little far and bad timing for me. Enjoy
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

That would be worth travelling too if only for Hillman. Throw in Sam and it's a definite.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Should be a great show. I saw Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen with the Grateful Dudes a couple weeks ago at a local pizza joint!...For free!...Wow! BTW, they also had LeRoy Mack (Kentucky Colonels) with them on Dobro!...Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by (mandozilla @ July 04 2008, 13:23)
    Should be a great show. I saw Chris Hillman and Herb Pedersen with the Grateful Dudes a couple weeks ago at a local pizza joint!...For free!...Wow! BTW, they also had LeRoy Mack (Kentucky Colonels) with them on Dobro!...Good stuff. #
    Might be a good show. I wouldn't walk across the street to see Hillman but to each his own. Bush might compensate for Hillman's mandolin shortcomings. IMO. #

'02 Collings MF5

Might be a good show. I wouldn't walk across the street to see Hillman but to each his own. Bush might conpensate for Hillman's mandolin shortcomings. IMO.

Yo lovethemf5's
    Granted, Hillman's not the greatest mandolin picker ever was(but Sam must think highly enough of him to gig with him...Did Sam ask you to perform with him?), but he is a really good musician (he played guitar and sang that night as well), and showman and they put on a great show...for free!...just by chance, no advertising...it was great!

Hey powercat,

How long does the drive take between Manhattan and Olathe? (based on your screen name I thought you might just know)

I'm thinking 2 hours which puts me there at 7:30, earliest. I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it. It says Hillman will be on first - would that put Sam Bush on at 8:00? I assume this is an outdoor, arts in the park type thing. Do you bring your own chairs or are they provided?

I will appreciate any enlightenment anyone can give.

Julie
    If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

I think you would have to look a long time to find an artist with Chris Hillman's resume; 40 some years, how many different bands and artists; how many different styles; in my book, an amazing influence on so many.
    Thanks for your support?

I'd walk across the street to see Hillman and would recommend his shows to anyone. The guy is a great performer and nothing beats a show with Herb Pedersen. If all I was worried about was hearing great mandolin players I'd probably have so few shows to go see it wouldn't make any difference. Honestly, as blasphemous as this seems Hillman would be the reason I'd go see that show. Sam's interesting but he doesn't knock my socks off. You get the whole package with a guy like Chris Hillman.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by (MikeEdgerton @ July 05 2008, 17:10)
    I'd walk across the street to see Hillman and would recommend his shows to anyone. The guy is a great performer and nothing beats a show with Herb Pedersen. If all I was worried about was hearing great mandolin players I'd probably have so few shows to go see it wouldn't make any difference. Honestly, as blasphemous as this seems Hillman would be the reason I'd go see that show. Sam's interesting but he doesn't knock my socks off. You get the whole package with a guy like Chris Hillman.
    I'll second that.
    Thanks for your support?

Quote Originally Posted by (mandozilla @ July 04 2008, 13:50)
    Granted, Hillman's not the greatest mandolin picker ever was(but Sam must think highly enough of him to gig with him...Did Sam ask you to perform with him?
    He certainly did not... Hillman has been around a long time and has promoted himself tirelessly through the years but this phenomena of being his fan has me really puzzled. Apparently some emotional connection is being made that is separate from his music. #

'02 Collings MF5

Quote Originally Posted by (lovethemf5s @ July 05 2008, 21:26)
    Hillman has been around a long time and has promoted himself tirelessly through the years but this phenomena of being his fan has me really puzzled. Apparently some emotional connection is being made that is separate from his music.
    I suspect that the emotional connection being made is--in fact--through his music, not in spite of it. Obviously you don't get that same connection, but it should come as no surprise that other folks do.

I'm sure we can all come up with a list of popular artists whose appeal we just don't get. No need to disparage those artists because we don't appreciate them the way others do.

Hillman has always struck me--through his music and interviews I've read with him--as a straightforward, hardworking musician who delivers the goods. Friends of mine who know him through his continuing connection to the San Diego folk-music and bluegrass scenes all speak highly of him as a person, too.

Just one guy's opinion.
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Quote Originally Posted by (lovethemf5s @ July 06 2008, 00:26)
    Hillman has been around a long time and has promoted himself tirelessly through the years but this phenomena of being his fan has me really puzzled. Apparently some emotional connection is being made that is separate from his music. #
    Well, to put things into persective...

CH was a founding member of the Byrds... went on to form the Flying Burrito Brothers with Gram Parsons, ... then played in Masassas (a superb band) with Stephen Stills. Made a couple of solo albums, some of them bluegrass... then teamed up with John Jorgensen and Herb Petersen and had a couple of hits songs with the Desert Rose Band. Cut a few nice albums with Petersen, Tony and Larry.

And he´s been playing bluegrass since well before the Byrds were happening...

A guy can luck into a band like the Byrds in 1965 - being at ther right time at the right place and whatnot. But there is absolutely NO WAY to have a career for 40 + years in different bands unless one is really talented.

His music may or may not float your boat, but you have to give the guy some credit. Check out Manassas or the Desert Rose Band and tell me he can´t sing or write great songs!
    Who am I and if yes, how many?

Well, we all have opinions.....Chris Hillmans web site has this billed as Desert Rose Band Reunion tour. John Jorgenson, possibly? Wouldn't miss it!
    To err is human

I'm a country mouse Bobbie Dier's Avatar

I'm with Klaus Wutscher!!!
    He was playing bluegrass when a lot of us were in diapers. Don't forget about the Hillmen. The Gosdin brothers were in that group. He is way ahead of his time in my book. Nashville wasn't ready for him in the 70s.

I'd go see him if he was ever in my area. For free? That's gravy!

I wandered again to my home in the mountains....

And don't forget that early SoCal BG band The Hillmen.
    His performance at Supergrass in Bakersfield last year, as a duo
    with Herb was outstanding. His mando playing was more than competent,
    they did a few tunes he wrote with the Byrds & another with Stills, as
    well as a few of Buck Owens tunes.....he had just passed away. I was sitting
    with John Monteleone & we were pleasantly surprised, some of those tunes
    really represent an era.....where Nashville & Rock merged.

At Woodstown, NJ a few years ago he and Herb came on stage with a bass player and they did a rendition of Eight Miles High with the mandolin taking the 12 string parts. It brought the house down and the audience to their feet.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

My all time favorite Hillman song is "Hippie Boy", from the 1960s.

'02 Collings MF5

I'll be there with my 2- and 5-year old, wife and in-laws. I would go even if it weren't free. I will never forget my first exposure to the mandolin: a free concert-in-the-park in Kansas City back in the summer of 1980. Some guy named David Grisman, who happened to have Tony Rice, Mike Marshall, Darol Anger and Rob Wasserman in his line up.

Sam Bush and Chris Hillman together !! Are you kidding me ? Plus you never know what side men will be brought along - but you know they will be stellar, as well. I am looking forward to finding out !!

Bye the way, looking for other jammers in the crowd. I will be the bald guy, with 2 wild young kids, wearing a maroon Mass Street Music t-shirt.

Bret
    ArchaeoMandologist in training

The dude has a Loar too; Stephen Stills bought it for him.
    But Amsterdam was always good for grieving
    And London never fails to leave me blue
    And Paris never was my kinda town
    So I walked around with the Ft. Worth Blues

My earlier post got me thinking/wondering who actually would have been playing with Grisman in the summer of 1980. Tony Rice, Mike Marshall, Darol Anger and Rob Wasserman line up might be incorrect - Mark O'Connor and Todd Phillips instead ? I wish I'd have had a camera !

Any help ?
    ArchaeoMandologist in training

Quote Originally Posted by (Fretbear @ July 11 2008, 07:46)
    The dude has a Loar too; Stephen Stills bought it for him.
    A mention is made of that instrument in a few interviews, I don't know if he still has it. One of his mandolins was sold in the classifieds a few years ago by the builder.

--M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I'm a country mouse Bobbie Dier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (bahed @ July 11 2008, 06:22)
    Plus you never know what side men will be brought along - but you know they will be stellar, as well. I am looking forward to finding out !!
    Might even be Byron Berline.That would be nice. Doesn't he live out there somewhere?
    I wandered again to my home in the mountains....

bahed....Grisman's album titled Quintet 80....has Anger, Marshall, O'Conner & Wasserman....don't know about your KC show though.

Quote Originally Posted by (Mandojulie @ July 05 2008, 14:53)
    Hey powercat,

How long does the drive take between Manhattan and Olathe? #(based on your screen name I thought you might just know)

I'm thinking 2 hours which puts me there at 7:30, earliest. #I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it. #It says Hillman will be on first - would that put Sam Bush on at 8:00? #I assume this is an outdoor, arts in the park type thing. #Do you bring your own chairs or are they provided?

I will appreciate any enlightenment anyone can give.

Julie
    Bring your own chairs / blankets.

As far as the time to get here...hmmm an hour or so from Olathe to Topeka...another hour or so from there to Manhattan... give yourself two to two-and-a-half hours to get to the park.

Mapquest directions from Manhattan to the park says about two hours.
    John

Fullerton Gloucester
    Mid-Missouri M-11W
    [expensive mando placeholder]