Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: modern folk music

John,

Wasn't being critical of the song because it is great -- just need a bit more volume because I maxed out my player. Otherwise, it sounds tremendous.

I'm not organized enough to tell you exactly how many tracks we used on "My Way Home", but I'm guessing about 7 or 8 -- Vocal/harmonica, guitar mic, guitar pickup, bass, octave mandolin (possibly two), and maybe another mic. The reverb and compressor make it sound much bigger than it really is.

I'll be waiting for some more songs. I was also wondering about the beer of choice in Canada.

Hoyt

Hey , thanks for the feedback , if you got to max out your player I'm sure anyone else would also so it should be louder. As for the beer of choice , well .... as I have advanced in age I switched to light beer , yeah it sucks getting older , but falling down is worse
    But seriously folks , the micro breweries are the rage and imports but I think the numero uno here is Blue .
    My guitar buddy was over last night and we did a version of "One" (johnny cash's version ) and "4th of july " (dave alvin ) I'm not a U2 fan but I have become a fan of that song since last night. Was a good night , another buddy came over , never played anything in his life , we put masking tape on the keyboard with the chord's marked and we jammed and he had a blast , it was very cool to see someone who had never played get in on the act and I think he may try and steal his daughters keyboard now !I'll see if I can salvage anything from the tapes of last night , even though my VCR ATE MY TAPE ! bumma !

I'm getting to the bottom of the barell with the originals but here is another from about '99 , no mando back then ,it's a crying country song. There must be other folk doing stuff at home, step up !
    http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000021180.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by (madog99 @ Sep. 06 2004, 20:12)
    I'm getting to the bottom of the barell with the originals but here is another from about '99 , no mando back then ,it's a crying country song. There must be other folk doing stuff at home, step up !
    http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000021180.mp3
    Of course it would help if I uploaded the right file
    sorry about that , try this
    http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000021262.mp3

Howdy,

I felt that I should chime in as I play in a modern folk context with my band, Blackwater Side. We are doing mostly cover material (including "One"), but tonight our singer is out so the strings (and percussionist) are getting together to explore our role. The bass player (who also plays a mean slide) and I are going to attempt to write some originals. We are Britano-Celtic heavy, drawing off centuries of traditional material and modern reworkings (from Traffic to Fairport to Jansch to...). We also exert some jazz influence, probably due to the fact that myself and our "drummer" love the stuff.

Hopefully we will start recording soon and eventually get a website. So far we have only "crashed" a few open mikes and played for friends. My wife and I are throwing an Oktoberfest party (with homebrewed goodies) that we will make our probable first "long" appearance at. If you're in Vermont let me know and I'll send you an invite!

Ironically, we all read music fairly well, save our bassist, for a folk band (sorry if I'm stereotyping - but our drummer even reads music). Our two guitarists dislike tab. This is the first group I've ever played with where this is the case!

Hopefully, I have something to contribute soon!

Dave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1930 (?) Regal Tenor

Toil without song is like a weary journey without an end.
    H. P. Lovecraft

looking forward to it dave! where in vt. are you? i get up to the huntington and burlington areas a few times/year

Madog99,

Just got around to listening to the song you posted a few weeks back. #It's another good one. #What's the title? #Good lyrics and vocals. #Really like the instrumental sections with the killer harp. #The levels are pretty good on this one -- maybe a tad hot in a few places. #But very enjoyable.

Hope to get back into recording some songs in the next few weeks. #The last three have been a major bummer.

I'll be looking for more original songs.

Hoyt

Quote Originally Posted by (Hoyt @ Sep. 18 2004, 20:01)
    Madog99,

Just got around to listening to the song you posted a few weeks back. #It's another good one. #What's the title? #Good lyrics and vocals. #Really like the instrumental sections with the killer harp. #The levels are pretty good on this one -- maybe a tad hot in a few places. #But very enjoyable.

Hope to get back into recording some songs in the next few weeks. #The last three have been a major bummer.

I'll be looking for more original songs.

Hoyt
    Thanks again Hoyt , that is called " You were no longer mine " ,done about 3 years ago and yeah the mic'd guitar booms badly . I think that was a 4 track recording , vocal , 2 guitars , and harp . I have been playing with the input volumes on my sound card and am getting a lot louder without distortion so thanks for the tip .My guitar buddy and I have have been invited to do a set at a bar next month so we worked up a short list last night and we will be doing 2 tunes with the mando , No woman no cry and One . I might take a deck and see if I can record the slaughter . I am also throwing in 2 originals so I hope they don't have fruit and vegatables to throw.

and had a buddy drop by today who I havn't seen in a long time and I spun him your tunes (and Ira's ) , you guy's got another fan now.

cd hopefully coming out next week. 11 orig and 2 covers of old tunes. hard to make it clean and keep our sound (especially at the cheap cost of doing it yourself and doing a short run production). exciting though.

Wow , that was quick. I thought you were in the planning stage. Keep me posted on how to get one. 11 originals you say , I look forward to that.
    cheers
    John

held back cd for some final changes in sound and artwork, but heading to the copy joint today for a short run (only 100 to start). really happy. it offers that perfect mix of studio but raw enough to be our sound with flubs and all. it may not be perfect, but its us. will let folks know when available.

for those in the boston area, we are planning a release event at our open mic home- casey's crossing in holliston, mass. prob. on friday, 10/16.

thanks for all of your support during this process and your kind words about our music.

so, finally got our cd and had our release party - over 120 people in the little tiny bar that we usually see 50-60, pretty cool.
    cd came out great- it is definitely us, love us or hate us. anyone who wants to purchase one, please contact me-12 bucks/cd+s&h (not sure how much this is), with 1dollar donated to the arts programs in our local school system.
    thanks again to all of you folks for the support through the process. your kind words about our music really helped to push me through (did thank all you mandocafers in the liner notes).
    peace,
    ira

Way to go guys ! I sent you an email !How much to get one signed

haven't gotten the email, but the signature is free, unless you want to send extra money for the kids in our public school music program- if so, then donate away! thanks for the interest.

peace,
    ira

hey folksong writing folks, if you want to get a lo=fi taste of the songs on the cd (not cd quality but you can get a listen if you wish, check out www.ezfolk.com click on artists and then not otherwise specified. get to the music section and give a listen. let me know what you think.

peace,
    ira

Quote Originally Posted by (ira @ Dec. 06 2004, 19:37)
    hey folksong writing folks, if you want to get a lo=fi taste of the songs on the cd (not cd quality but you can get a listen if you wish, check out www.ezfolk.com click on artists and then not otherwise specified. get to the music section and give a listen. let me know what you think.

peace,
    ira
    Ohhh ! I'm tempted , but will wait for the mail to do it's thing(that would require me actually going to the bank to get US money ) !I will refrain from even looking at that site ,....well I might have a peek

don't be scared. have a peak, give a listen to the lofi, then send for the real thing when cash allows. i appreciate the interest maddog.

Hey y'all,
    I wanted to let you know about a webcast that my band and I will be doing this Sunday 12/12. Tune your webdial to www.wuog.org from 11-1 EST. We're doing the Folk Scene Show. Dunno just when we'll start. There'll likely be some mediocre mandolin work on my part, clawhammer banjer, and mostly all original songs from my cd Down by the Drowning Creek. Some new songs, too!

If you're in the Athens, Georgia area, we're playing Flicker Bar and Theater this Wednesday at 8. No mando for this show, tho'.
    Check out www.christianlopez.com for more info.

For a review of the cd... http://rambles.net/lopez_downby04.html

Regards,
    Christian

congrats- very exciting stuff. i'll be there!!!

I pitched the .ram samples at my site and put up two more mp3's, "The Miller's Daughter" and "Little Red Cap." "Miller's" has some mando (Heritage H-5). "Red Cap" is solo.

I expect to put up a couple new songs by end of February, with the full band...

Regards,
    Christian
    www.christianlopez.com

hey folksters- if you haven't done so already, check out www.ezfolk.com -- free audio hosting without limit, any folk type music will do (trad, contemp., bg, blues, you name it!)easy set up, nice folks, nice forum.

post up your stuff for all to hear!!!!
    peace,
    ira
    www.ezfolk.com/audio/nos