Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: modern folk music

cursed dial-up !!! Hoyt , downloaded Fairytale town ,only 14 minutes ! Nice stuff . I will get around to the other 2 later on .

Ira , hmmm , got on to that site and clicked everything but got nowhere? Must be doing something wrong ? I just get the box that says enter domain name . I would really like to check out some of those tunes if you could give me some pointers?

I play around at home with an old fostex 4 track for fun and got a cover of Higher+higher with a mando on it if you are up for it. this is just me doing my thing at home , not in your league but I get a kick out it.. http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Virtual....d=17788

christian , I'm off to your site next .
    cheers

madog,

When I used to play poker, we called people like you a "sandbagger" -- that is, someone who acts like they don't have anything, but are holding a handfull of Aces.

I absolutely love your version of Higher and Higher, an old Jackie Wilson song performed on mandolin. #How cool is that.
    Nice picking and singing there. #That little Fostex does you well. #That's a nice clean recording.

I apoligize for the big files on our site. #There are some songs in MP format (much easier to download) at: http://www.songramp.com/homepag....9598506

Back to you -- that is a very folky rendition of Higher and Higher. #I really like it. I was in my teens in the 1960s and the Byrds and similar groups were my preference. #Your song fits nicely in that style I like.

Surely you have some more stuff to share.

I hope Ira has started something here. #While I love bluegrass, the mandolin and its derivatives are capable of a lot more styles.

Thanks, Hoyt

PS: I couldn't figure out how to regsiter a vote for your song on your site, but I'll go back later when I have a little more time. It's highly endorsed for folk music lovers.

Hoyt , you are way too kind man! I did sort of steal the version off of Eric Bibb, although that song has always been one of my faves, including Bette Midlers version that has one of the kicking-est arrangements ever ( by Barry Mannilow of all people).That fostex was the best money I ever spent on Ebay I think, sure beats TV.Since I got a mando I keep looking for easy 3-4 chord songs that I can speed up and do in that sort of vein. I did a version of Tears of a clown also but I need to work on that as it's pretty rough. And the files on your site are not too big it's just that I'm on real sloooooow dial up ! Maybe if I get up the nerve I'll put an original on but I don't think they have mando as they were done a few years back. Thanks again man .

http://nossongs.agreatserver.com/
    hey maddog, try this link-- i put up the site and copied, so it should work.
    you have a beautiful voice. i love the little haunting repeats muffled in the chorus background. really pretty.
    i see that you are from quebec. i'll be up at mt. tremblant for a week starting tom. so beautiful, i just can't wait.

peace,

ira

ps- hoyt, yeah, i hope something has started too. would love to hear more folks and their folky/rocky acoustic tunes.

6ft 2 is at 14% , only 17 minutes to go thanks for the link . and thanks for the feedback. Bring your wallet for Tremblant it's pretty trendy spot and prices are touristy , supposed to be nice next week , very cool at night though , summer why have you deserted me? I'm up in the hills also , about 2 hours west of there, smaller hills but same chain.12 minutes to go , should get over to Christian's site by supper time I suppose.
    cheers boy's

Ira , that was totally not what I was expecting .I can't wipe the grin off my face , drops of life has the same kind of vibe , great stuff guys!! Nice site you got there too. If I ever get down your way I will make it my mission to stop in at your friday gig for a "libation " By the way , your trip up north , that wouldn't be for a gig would it ?

Hoyt , thanks for the posting on the songramp site . I just listened to "your are my sunshine" , AWESOME ! You guys got it going on for sure . Why oh why can't radio play stuff like that? Are there that few people out there that like to hear original different music? and your studio pic on your website ? That has got to be the coolest looking place to play music , if that is your studio , very colorfull. After listening to more of your stuff , your comments mean a hell of a lot more to me . thanks man
    and oh yeah Ira , great thread !

All I can say is WOW ! so much music and so good ! I just wish that some other kitchen/campfire guys would post. I did a playlist on my pc of your guys stuff and I think I now need new speakers as I can't get it loud enough to jam with. I'm including a link for one of my few original tunes , done about 4 years ago with radio shack mic and my buddy trying to play bass on a 6 string , and his dog sings too. Maybe this will convince other home brew folks to step up. No mandolin on this , sorry ! And Hoyt , no sandbaggin' on this one, just the facts mamm
    http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Virtual....d=20609

Madog

I know this was some early stuff (maybe that's the charm), but it’s a nice sounding folk rock type song with very cool lyrics. Super harp. I wish some of the lyrics would come true – 4 shots in every drink, the hair, etc.

There are lots of acts that release old/early recordings, after they became famous, that don’t sound this good.

Personally, I like the loose sounding songs where people don’t obsess over trying to get everything perfect. Music ought to have a vibe, a rhythm, and feel that you just can’t get when it’s over done, over practiced . . . . . .

I like this song. Phone ringing, dog howling, players having fun and trying new things – and no telling what else I missed. For me, I’m going to start making CDs of this type stuff – it’s so much better than the commercial recording available.

I think this whole home studio and internet music will give us stuff worth listening to like this song.

Thanks and you are still sandbagging, Hoyt

I have to agree with you about the live stuff , I like it by anybody , with all the mistakes and flubs .That's why I have always kept that version as it was also the first multitrack thing.My chum wanted to try to play bass on his 6 string , so what the hell . Like you said about Ira's stuff , it's cool to hear the yacking and stuff before and after.
    I got a hold of an old hi-fi vcr with the manual volume controls. so I run my fostex into that and i get 4 hours of recording with ok quality. So when friends come over I hook up a couple of mics and let it roll. Sometimes the levels are set wrong but stuff sounds so more alive.
    I have to work out your YAMS , I'm freaking on that. I can't do the mando as I just strum but give me a week or so and I hope to come up with a bastardized version of it .That song really touches me (reminds me of something I lost ) and the drawl on "here" #and at the end when you break out the lyrics for "you are my sunshine" Way cool ! I must have played it 20 times , no lie .
    BTW is your CD for sale ? I couldn't find a link on your web site to buy. #
    and here is a link to one of those late night sessions , well early morning really #and this one has mandolin, way to loud , but it's there and this is mandolin cafe after all . Cheers
    http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Virtual....d=20625

Madog,

It's interesting that you mention using the hi-fi vcr. There was a time when a lot of people recorded using vcr because the quality was so much better than cassette. Maybe that explains why your songs sound so nice from a recording perspective.

I think I first used one about 1987. The digital multitrack is nice, but it's hard to beat a rolling two track tape for the live feel and that allows us to play without having to worry too much about twiddling knobs, etc.

I appreciate your asking whether our cd is for sale. We really hadn't thought of that figuring we'd have to twist arms just to sell 50 or so. We've toyed with the idea of making 100 copies or so just to give to friends. If we do that, I'll let you know and send you one. Maybe you can point me to some good fishing spots in Canada if I ever get there, my wife sure wants to go.

We really appreciate your comments on Here Come My Sunshine. My buddy Jeff Johnson wrote and sings that song -- I contribute as best I can mandolin, ocatve mando and bass. He had gotten married recently and also found he had a daughter on the way.

I kid him that he used to write really neat songs with cool lyrics like "contagious to the touch" or songs bout "broken down dreams and charater flaws." The first time I heard Here Comes My Sunshine and another similar song, I told him I wasn't going to put up with those sapply, mauldin songs -- maybe I should reconsider.

I'm heading out on the road for a week or so tomorrow -- nothing exiciting like playing music -- and might not have access to the internet for a while, but I will return (not sure whether that's good or bad).

I've enjoyed your songs and look forward to hearing more from you and others out there. This is a whole lot of fun and the music is a whole lot more interesting that most of the commercial stuff. Maybe someday we can make a compilation of the best songs appearing here and make a CD.

Hoyt

Well tell Jeff I'm liking his song! As for the fishing , well , its a big place as you know and lots of water and the further you get from the big centers the better the fishing ! I'm lucky to live in an area that has great lake trout fishing . If you do ever plan a trip I would be happy to throw out a few spots for you to consider. But you know how fishing goes , "You should have been here last week , they were jumping in the boat"
    happy trails

Your idea of a compilation Cd is great, lots of talent with you guys(Ira, Christian)Hope there will some more come out of the woodwork.

hey md, we just got back from canada and my daughter caught a pretty big trout in a lake. her first real fishing experience and it was great.
    hey anyone else ready to come "out of the woodwork" and share your tunes?

Quote Originally Posted by (ira @ Aug. 23 2004, 14:49)
    hey md, we just got back from canada and my daughter caught a pretty big trout in a lake. her first real fishing experience and it was great.
    hey anyone else ready to come "out of the woodwork" and share your tunes?
    Fantastic man !!! the weather was pretty good last week .I used to camp up at the provencial park at Tremblant a fair bit when I lived in Montreal , saw my first bald eagle up there.I hope you had a great trip .I'm embarssed to tell you how much I've been listening to the #tunes I manged to get off this thread .I await the CD you mentioned you were starting work on (hint hint) , I just hope that 6ft + BTDOF are on it !And that new one your partner "broke out" sounds like a winner , I can't wait to hear that.
    cheers
    John #

just finishing the final touches on a song called "stripmalls"
    chorus- "so, as i travel down route anywhere, through any town i roam
    i don't never feel to lonely, cause the stripmalls remind me of home
    they got walmart,k-mart, you know any ole mart will do
    so why should i buy from your mom and pop store
    when i can buy from gap or limited too."

whaddayathink??? my ode to the horror of every road in america looking exactly the same.

I'm sure it will be good one in your "style"

Boy's , this ain't an original ,(bobby dylan ) but I got an electric geetar 2 weeks ago and I'm bustin' .There is a mando on it , kind of buried ,and I dug out my pawn shop drummer for this one. Sorry , but I'm freaking like a teenager on the electricity.
    this is about 4 minutes and the mando is not up front so just a warning for those that are on dial up!
    and if you like this song by Bob , I'm sorry

I guess the link would be a good idea *red faced*
    http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000021070.mp3

is that you 99? nice version. really interesting take on one of my favorite songs.

thanks for sharing.

Yeah Bobby , what can you say? Can you hear the mano ? I can on the big rig , but hard to pick it out on the pc. Hope I didn't murder one of your favorite BD songs.

Great version of a fine song. Are you playing everything? -- pretty good. I can hear the mando, especially about half way through -- pretty good too. Vocals are great and you've got the guitar cooking.

Ira, I'm looking forward to your new song -- some more great lyrics.

John, I haven't forgotten the CD copy. I've been really tied up with things. Just got home and had a treat with the new song. Thanks.

Glad to see some more activity here.

Hoyt

Thanks boys .Yeah that's me doing my thing. I got a new tune from july that I need you (Hoyt)on mando and Ira on harp . It's called "One of those nights" . The chorus goes like this
    "Don't spoil the surprise , Don't tell me yet
    whas it one of those nights I'd like to forget"

all fictional after a night at the blues fest. I have to clean up my site to make room but will post it later . Any way we can send files and get others to play on them? That would be cool #
    And don't sweat the disc man , whenever , just make sure I get your return address , I'll send you some maple syrup or a postcard #

well here is the original ."One of those nights" The drums are me on my little 4 pad Yamaha thing that you have to hit and I ain't no drummer.There is some truth to the story.

http://www.digitalsoundplanet.com/Me..._000021114.mp3

Madog

Really, really cool. #Great vibe and the drum pads sound pretty good here.

Man, please do some more originals.

It’s amazing how good it sounds on the equipment you are using for recording. #I know it’s not easy, but we’ve got to do something to get the volume up on these songs. #That’s probably one of the tougher things to do when recording, but you’ve got some good stuff here -- must be that Canadian air or something.

Hoyt

Well thanks again man , Yeah I have my line in set real low on the PC as I found it distorted otherwise . I should try it a bit louder and see what happens? and for the air , well might be the Bud Light ? Had to do a little road trip the other day , 2 hours , kept skipping back on the CD to "my way home" many times , now that's an awesome tune(how many tracks is that , 50 ! talk about deep ) One day I hope to be able to come up with something like that . This thread and the music #has really motivated me to try and do better. Once again thanks to all for sharing.
    John