Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hutto copy

Default Re: Hutto copy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dempsey01..jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	206.4 KB 
ID:	59300I just found this pic of John presenting Dempsey with his SECOND Hutto,yes,,he did have two Huttos.
    Passernig #64
    Gibson Blackjack
    Fender Wildwood '54 Reissue Strat
    Ernie Ball Silhouette

Great photo, thanks for sharing.

Does anyone know what happened to the 2nd hutto dempsey had? I know his wife had his main one for sale, I wonder if he sold earlier or if it's still around. I talked to larry sparks's mandolin player a bean blossom last year, he said when he went to john to order his hutto he handed him larrys old d28 and said make something that will match this. If you ever hear larry live you'll notice how that mandolin compliments that guitar perfectly in its tone. I believe he said he had to have someone else finish that mandolin and maybe even do the inlay work, because john would send his mandolins out in the white and let folks play them for awhile to make sure they were happy, I guess john passed before he ever sent the mandolin back

I think that 2nd Hutto got damaged pretty bad. Seems like General Mills said someone was restoring it.
    Maybe Scott Napier will confirm who might be doing the work.
    Russ Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by jim_n_virginia View Post
    I have two friends with Hutto mandolins and both to me have that old Gibson bluegrass sound. Deep chop and low tone not bright at all like Gilchrist or Collins. I've been MASing for an old Hutto for a long time! LOL!

Never heard of a Copperhead but it IS surprising (or maybe not) that whenever someone has a new mandolin it is always the best they have ever heard and the builder is the next up and coming star! LOL!
    Time will tell is all I say...
    Jim,

How wise and true. My experience has been that I am the most fortunate picker in the world. Every instrument I own is exceptional and the better I get as a player the luckier I get in finding good instruments.

Hello Russ, Long story short- Hutto built the mandolin for Dempsey, Dempsey wanted some changes made so Hutto removed the top, A few years pass, Thats around the time Dempsey started endorsing Dearstones. John wasn't to happy about that so he called Dempsey up, told him his mandolin was ready, Dempsey goes to get it, Hutto gives it to him in a pillow case in parts. "true story" Dempsey never played that mandolin that Im aware of. Oddly enuff Ray Dearstone recently put a top on it. It's got "The Dempsey" on the headstock and a wider, flat fingerboard like his old one. The back and sides was finished by Hutto, it has his label dated 1990. It's a really good mandolin, I just played it on a show. It's a little brighter than most Hutto's but it's really well balanced. Dempsey son has the mandolin.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jordan View Post
    I think that 2nd Hutto got damaged pretty bad. Seems like General Mills said someone was restoring it.
    Maybe Scott Napier will confirm who might be doing the work.
    Scott Napier
    Tone First
    scottnapier.f5@gmail.com
    www.lostandfoundbluegrass.com

Here is a Weber compared to a Hutto: http://youtu.be/Vi2A-QvIRqE

John was a character. I thought his "The Lilly" was the best sounding mandolin that I ever heard. The owner refused my offer so I ordered a new one from John just as he was discovered in 1994. It took over two years to complete my new 3 pointer, meanwhile I was offered "the Lilly" and immediately bought it. It was pretty worn so I sent it to John to restore and put "the Hutto" on the headstock.
    I later met Everett Lilly who was surprised to see the 3 pointer that he ordered in the 1970s. He finally got a chance to play it on stage. I probably should not have had John restore it. It is nice to have two Huttos that will blow the doors of any other.