Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New builder

Being the only guy around that sells emando bridges, it gives me the oppurtunity to talk to a lot of instrument builders, both new and seasoned. A couple months ago, John Smith bought some bridges from me and said that when he got around to putting some instruments together he'd like to call and discuss them with me. I hear that a lot, so I said sure and figured I may or may not hear from him. Well, it wasn't too long after that when I did hear from him, and we have talked several times over the last couple months. So, last week he says, I'd like to send you some photos of what I'm working on and I'd like your opinion. Well, I have to say that I am thoroughly impressed with what he is doing and wanted to post a couple of photos of his instruments. I'm not sure that he's registered on the cafe yet, but I thought I could lure him to post by making the introduction. He really seems to have a good grasp of instrument building with a fine eye for detail.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF0004.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	82.9 KB 
ID:	32703  

Another

Name:	DSCF0003.JPG 
Views:	189 
Size:	104.5 KB 
ID:	32704  

Headstock

Name:	DSCF0007.JPG 
Views:	207 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	32705  

It does look like a nice build! Very clean!
    Clif

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

If it sounds as good as it looks, it's a winner!
    Living’ in the Mitten

Recipient of medication Cliff D's Avatar

... and this is his first attempt? Wow!!!!
    Sorry madam, but we are fresh out of bull-dogs today!

I'll post some info on John's mandolins at emando.com very soon. I'm still recovering from Two Days in Seattle with Mike Marshall.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

I have a question. What's the purpose of that spacer holding the strings on the headstock for the two lower strings? That's a nice looking e-mando. I've only ever held a Kent 8 string electric. It was heavy!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Jamie,

That thing holds the strings down to increase the break angle at the nut. The idea being that since those tuners are further back the angle is less. My guess is that with only 4 strings this isn't much of an issue. On a tele or strat with 6 strings, the two highest pitched ones would basically have little to no angle without it.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

I believe the technical term is a string tree. You often see them on Fender Strats, & the number of trees can give an indication of the build date. Vintage Fenders with a single tree are generally more coveted than a double.

I have seen some up market trees where a fine bar has been used to minimize friction at this point (not I think strictly necessary unless a tremolo unit is fitted), so that tuning stability is not prejudiced.

One way of retaining the non angled head stock, but avoiding string trees is to have machine heads of decreasing height, & I believe Sperzal(?) manufacture same. The non angled head stock is another of Leo Fenders clever ideas to keep the build simple, & just use one piece of wood with a minimum of wastage & is a good example of his overall design philosophy.

Jamie,
    Both member responses to your question are quite accurate, and much appreciated. The part referred to is often called a String "T" or String Tree, and in fact, on the Mando's that I am building, they are a definite needed part, due to the drop from the fretboard to the headstock. There is also a Round type of this part, and also "T"s with roller guides that accomplish the same task. Hope this Info. helps.
    John (jls mandolins)

I would like to thank all the positive comments from emando members, on my new mando's. Very much appreciated!
    I recently put an add into the classified section, and hope I can start to get some response out of it.
    Thanks to you all,
    John

The promised page on John's instruments is now up here at Emando.com.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Noticed that he offers maple fretboards as an option.

I'm trying to imagine how a transparent butterscotch, Tele-style 5-string e-mando with a black pickguard and a maple fretboard would look.

Wonder if Springsteen would hire me as his double.
    Schwab 5-string No.29 (1982)
    Old Wave C# No.311 (2003)
    Mann SEM-5 No. 60 (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by (Kid Charlemagne @ June 21 2008, 18:41)
    Wonder if Springsteen would hire me as his double.
    His Mini-Me, perhaps?

The specs as posted on the E Mando site mention a "2 way adjustable truss rod" I assume this means one can do something more than "tighten or slacken" said rod? Please enlighten me!

Hi Cliff,
    The 2-way adjustable Truss Rod is a double rod with two blocks,and one adjustment.Turning the allen wrench adjustment clockwise,bows the neck convex (upward)like a traditional single truss rod. Turning the same adjustment counter clockwise, bows the neck concave (downward).There is a neutral position between.
    Hope this helps.
    John

I see. I personally favour a neck with a slightly concave curve as I can get more flesh around the strings in mid neck positions, permitting better control of vibrato & string bending. I like fat high frets on my guitars & the frets on both mandolins I currently posses are miniscule. Still, the Risa tenor should arrive this week (17" scale) & I'm hoping the fret wire will be a little more generous. Thanks for the info & I will watch the development of your instruments with great interest.

Nice work John. One minor suggestion: A little more radius on the edges of the body will be more comfortable and soften the aesthetics.
    Wye Knot

Wye Knot,Thanks for the body radius info. I have actually taken care of it, and have added a slight amount more radius to the bodies. I didn't have the correct router bit at the time. However, I have seen some instruments,with a little more radius for my personal likes. I now think that I have found a happy medium.
    I'm glad that you like the look, and appreciate your message.
    John

John, if you want to really make your mini-tele design unique, add the belly cut-out on the rear, and the forearm cutout on the front. Take a look at an old Fender "mandocaster" and you'll see what I mean.
    Wye Knot

Hello again Lee,
    Yeh, I know what you'er talking about. I have several ideas in mind, for future reference, and appreciate your input as well. It's definitely a good thought.
    Take Care, and thanks again.
    John

I really like the looks of John's mandos. In fact I liked them so much that I ordered a 5 string aqua colored one. He is new to building this particular type axe, but he tells me he has been a luthier for years. So it's not like he's starting from scratch. I only hope they sound as great as they look, but after talking to John, I'm convinced that he's stickler for details, and really into putting out a quality product. You can't beat his introductory prices, so if you've been thinking of adding an electric,give John a holler. I'll give a full report when I get mine in a month or so.
    Chief. Way up North. Gibson 1917 A model with pickup. JL Smith 5 string electric. 1929 National Triolian resonator mandolin with pickup. National RM 1 with pickup. Ovation Applause. Fender FM- 60 E 5 string electric (with juiced pickups). 1950's Gibson EM-200 electric mandolin. 1954 Gibson EM-150 electric mandolin. Custom made "Jett Pink" 5 string electric- Bo Diddley slab style. Jay Roberts Tiny Moore model 5 string electric.

Chief,
    Thanks for posting the message. I have in fact been in the Luthier field for a long time. I also play Mandolin, Fiddle, Guitar, and some 5-String Banjo, as well as doing repairs, setups, restorations, and building. However, I do not pretend to know everything, and am not afraid to ask questions, and still do. I am finally doing something that I've wanted to do for several years, and that is to have my own line of Instruments. I chose the Electric Mandoling, because I find them kind of a personal favorite. I find them enjoyable to play, and they are very versible to so many types of music. It seems like the possibilities are endless in the building process, as well as to the playing capabilities. I have had alot of positive response on my Instruments through the message board, as well as the Cafe' classifieds, where I currently have another listed. I appreciate all members responses, and I am also open to constructive comments.
    Thanks, John ( J.L. Smith Mandolins)

Luthierus Amateurius crazymandolinist's Avatar

No copyright issues for Fender and Gibson shapes?
    "The Beauty of Grace is that it makes life Unfair" - Relient K

"THEY'RE HERE!!! THEY'RE HERE!!! the Albino Brain Chiggers!" - Harry from 3rd Rock