Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin you wouldn't sell

my A2-Z.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lh_A2Z_011.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	32446  
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've had instruments I've been very fond of, but EVERYTHING's for sale.
    (...for the right price.)
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

I'm with Ted-- I've had some awesome mandolins, but there's nothing I wouldn't sell on the right day. I thought I'd never sell my KM-DAWG, but I just did. Right now I feel like I'd never sell my Capek, but no doubt you'll see it in the classifieds one day. I like variety and my tastes change day to day... there's always something new to try.

The only one I'll never sell? My Epiphone Mandobird, because it was a gift from my girlfriend. You don't sell those.

There's a saying amongst collectors/riders/guardians of old Italian motorcycles: #One does not sell Ducatis; one buys them.

Of the five guitars I own, I'd never sell the 1942 Gibson nor the 1973 Alvarez-Yairi. #I'd keep the 9R Les Paul over the CS 356. #And maybe the Eastman might go if I were pinched for cash, but never the Phoenix.
    Gene R. Rankin (a CheeseHead)
    Phoenix custom Deluxe

I buy 'em. I don't sell 'em. That's how I got more than a dozen. Only mandolins I've ever traded were a Gibson A-1 and a Gibson F-2, and that was when Stutzman's here in Rochester was requiring the trade of a Gibson mandolin before they would sell one. The A-1 went for the F-2, and the F-2 went for my F-5.

Oh, I did trade one Weymann mandolute that I wasn't ever playing, on my Eastman mandola. Otherwise, the ranks of cases in my basement lair just continue to grow...
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Another Flatiron story here. #My '85 F5 will not be going anywhere if I can help it. #It is a wonderful and unique sounding instrument, with a sweet and delicate tone, but lots of low end punch and some serious volume when you jump on it. #But the main reason it will stay is sentimental. #I won't go into the details, but there's a lady involved (you probably guesssed that already ).

Chip

I'm with Ted, too. I started a family pretty late in life and am discovering new challenges that require financing all the time, so even though I'm in the fortunate position of loving all the instruments I have, every one of them would go on the block if necessary. There are some instruments that really are magic, and I have regretted selling a few over the years--that flawless 1936 000-18 that I let go for $600 (in 1980) comes to mind. But if I did have to sell another favorite, I know that there are so many great instruments out there that I have no doubt that I could find a decent replacement that would meet my needs.

PK

Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Well, while I don't think you can ever say that there is something you won't sell ever (who knows when you or someone you love might need the money, and also someone might make you an offer you can't refuse). But realistically I don't think I'll ever part with my 1940 Martin 0-18T tenor guitar willingly.

I haven't found that mandolin quite yet. I've thought I had a number of times, but I'm still searching. I really think the one I'm having built at the moment might be it though.

James

I've got a Silver Angel I bought off Frank Wakefield...which is housed in his old Loar case that used to be Grisman's. I won't sell the that mandolin or case. Oh, and it a killer mando on top of all that!

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

My A-1. It looks like junk, it smells bad, but it sounds beautiful. Because of the physical condition, it wouldn't get as much money as the sound is worth.
    Ha, ha! keep time: how sour sweet music is,
    When time is broke and no proportion kept!
    --William Shakespeare

I guess one should never say never, but at this point it's very hard for me to imagine ever selling my Ellis.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

My Davis F5 - First and only custom mandolin ever built for me. Will eventually hand it down to one of my kids.

My copy of a Gibson F5 - First F model mandolin I ever purchased in the 80's (dated 1977) and has been through Hell and Back with me... sentimental value. #Still playing it today.
    'Tis better to know that you have a True Enemy than to know to have a False Friend "...(quoted by unknown).

wannabe mandolin wizzard bluesmandolinman's Avatar

the only instrument I wouldn´t even sell when I quit making music is a noname bowlback which is a gift of my grandma....many good memories.

All other instruments may be sacrificed for buying the next one...the catch and release game many of us play.

Name:	bowl.JPG 
Views:	121 
Size:	21.1 KB 
ID:	32447  
    Carl Martin - Everyday I have the Blues

My gear : 1927 A0/Ajr , JM-11 , Fender 346 white XH

I'm also with Ted on: "Everything is for sale" But my Goldrush is so purdy and sounds so good to me that I'm very happy with what I have at the moment and maybe forever.

squirrelabama, Man! that A2Z looks so nice.
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Blog Entries

Like everone else, family come first and if necessary....

but my Weber Fern has really become part of me. It was actually for sale on the classifieds for 24 hours at one time at which point I pulled it. Seeing it there made me painfully aware of just how special it is to me. My Brentup Stealth will have to wait until such time as I can comfortably purchase it without sacrificing the Fern! An 8-string electric seems to be in my future however....
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!

I haven't bought it yet....

As long as I am with the wife I will never sell the Mid-Mo she bought me for Christmas when I first started showing interest in the mando. (it was a custom built lefty too!)
    Jason

Lefty JBovier F5 Tradition, Lefty Mid-Mo M1

My '21 F4; first good mandolin, been with me for 30+ years. Not the best condition, not the loudest, but we get along just fine.

Probably keep my Pecoraro/Embergher bowlback as well, because they're impossible to replace.

My Stan Miller #31 will not go anywhere. #My buddy had a killer mandolin he made himself. #He patterned it after the modifications that one of his roommates did on a mandolin design. #I lived in California and played with my friend who is a luthier, a bow maker and a professional musician by trade. #When I saw my mandolin, I knew it was strikingly similar to my buddy's. Sure enough, it was built on the same pattern. #It was made by his former roommate; Stan Miller. #The feel of the neck, the finish, the killer volume and mid-range are to die for. #I had to have it. #It was expensive, but I got the first one he made in over 30 Years. #I ended up getting this mandolin for several thousand dollars less than the market value was for it. #Since he had been out of the business, he was not really abreast of the current pricing structures. I think he was testing the waters with his resurgence. #It was my retirement gift for over 21 years in the military. #This thing is an absolute banjo killer. #All I have to do now is learn to play up to the instrument's potential. #I am trying really hard. #Well, I am off to the wood shed to get it done!

Rusty

Name:	Stan_Miller__31_Front_Compressed.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	32448  
    Russ

I had Ray Dearstone build me a mandolin in 1997. I worked on a fishing boat in Alaska for a long time in order to purchase it. I thought I would never sell it. In the last month, I sold it and bought a Randy Wood. Now the Randy Wood is the latest mandolin that I will never sell. I will let you know how that works out. That being said, I am absolutely crazy about this box. It is everything I have ever wanted and I find myself playing when I really should be doing other things (like putting food on the table). I told my wife just this evening, "watch, you will see my playing improve exponentialy (sp) because of this Randy Wood. It really talks to me. I am by no means a "gear head" but I love this box and could not be more happy. But it is FOR SALE.

Byrd
    Coleman Falls, Va.

2004 Randy Wood F5
    1970 Martin D-18
    199? Washburn A (my loaner mandolin)

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I spent 2 years "encouraging" Wayne Henderson to build me an instrument. Once we got started on the curly maple board that we together pulled out of a shed on his mom's old homeplace, I spend many hours with him, often after my working all day, till we got tired at 1 or 2 a.m.

Numerous visits over many months resulted in a great mandolin that I love the sound of and love to play.

More importantly, I got to know Wayne as a friend and as one of the most genuine, honest, and generous people that I know. Many great memories are attached to my mando and I can't imagine ever selling it unless I & my family were going hungry.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I have an MK Dragonfly I wouldn't sell. Amongst other reasons, it's a lefty and adorned with the autographs of many great artists whose workshops I've attended. I've had a lot of fun watching the blank expressions when I try to explain to non-mandoholics just who everyone is; that alone is priceless!

My "03 Gibson DMM. It is one of the very few signed by Charlie which is nice but the reason it will never leave until I leave the planet is because it is absolutely perfect in my eyes. Everything I want in an instrument. It would be hard to count the good and great mandolins that I went through before I got this one but it really is the keeper.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

OK FATT_DAD no laughing, my current 84 a5-1!! I sold my first one and went through embarrassing maneuvers to get it's batch twin. It's an incomparable beast and though it doesn't have the warm "thock" of a Gil,Dude or any other scrollies in that price range, it has some of the loudest shoes on the floor!
    '84 Flatiron A5-1 '85 Kentucky KM1500 '86 Flatiron a5-jr '27 Gibson A-jr '88 Flatiron Cadet..MAS anyone?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

I wouldn't sell my wife, why should I sell an instrument I share fond memories with? Even those I don't play anymore at least smile down on me from the wall.

Even that cursed violin I learned to play (and to hate) in my youth is hanging there, crippled (bridge gone), and I enjoy the sight every day

Bertram
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world