Yesterday I received in the mail a double CD set of recordings that accompany the well-known Portland Collection of dance music (contra dance, Irish, Scottish, Quebecois, New England, and Southern US). #This is the latest from the folks who published the two volumes of dance tunes, the Portland Collection Vols. 1 & 2. #(I wasn't sure whether to post this in this area of the message board or the Old Time section but most of the tunes fall into this category). #

The double CD is called A Portland Play Along Selection, and it's intended to assist musicians in learning the tunes in the two tune books. #In all there are "97 contra dance tunes for listening and learning." Each tune is played at moderate tempo and there's a channel for back-up and another for melody. #

Betsy Branch plays fiddle, Susan Songer is on piano, and Clyde Curley plays many tunes on mandolin or tenor banjo. #Curley is a wonderful dance musician and plays a really sweet 1918 Gibson F-4. #To help musicians learn the tunes, each track presents just one melody instrument and one back-up instrument. #As mentioned, the mandolin is featured on many of the tracks. # #

You can find out more at www.theportlandcollection.com

No financial interest on my part, just very pleased with this great recording and learning tool.

Jim