Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vana mandolin f5 master model

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Hajid,
    I´ll be looking forward to Miroslav Vana´s website and for soundclips.

I´ve been at the Festival at Laroche sur Foron in France the other day (they had great mandolins there, Wayne Henderson, Krishot (Eduard Kristufek), Giacomel, Hervé Coufleau, Jan Pals, Duff, Novotny, Lebeda a couple from a french board member - forgot his name, sorry - and others) and got to talking to Czech people about builders there.

In our conversation I asked about Miroslav Vana but it did not ring a bell with the Czech folks yet. I am well aware that he sold some instruments over the Cafe website. I have been watching his sales on the classifieds. As far as I understand he works a daytime job and builds his mandolins "on the side". This apparently is the way quite a number of now wellknown builders got started behind the iron curtain because back then you had to build your own instruments in order to get a decent quality. So I did not expect to see a Vana mandolin at the festival or to hear rave reviews about him all over.

What I would like to mention though is, that I really like the appearance of the instruments shown on this thread(as opposed to many other instruments I have seen over the years). It would really be a shame if this great impression would not be heavily underlined by a builders website (SOON!) and soundbytes. I think that a builder that does not want to fly under the radar (like possibly Adrian Minarovic aka HoGo on this board if I´m not mistaken) and that possibly wants to get into building fulltime or at least to some extent needs to represent his work.

Tomas, Hajid or Nagomi, what´s the going price for one of the F models these days?

By the way, the Henderson mandolin at the festival was good though certainly not up to the hype that I hear about. The Hervé Coufleau mandolin on the other hand was a steal at about 3.500 EUR (aprox. 5.000 USD). It had tone bars a reddish sunburst, Elite tuners, it played like butter and at about one month old sounded really nice. If I was mandolin short - which I am not at the moment - I would have jumped at the mandolin. Though now I would only jump at a mandolin if it was so exeptionally great that it would be insane to pass it by (like a Gilchrist F 5 tone bar D-log at 9.000 USD or an instrument of similar qualities for an appropriate price). I´d have to play it first though. Until then I´ll stick to my Duff 5 (yeah, ggggrrrrreat sound) and my Strad-O-Lin (can´t never ever beat the value of this one, it sounds highly professional).
    Olaf

These Vana's are great looking Mandolins. Very impressive. I'm continually taken back by the number of builders out there today - here in the states and from other countries, that are producing this level of work. What a golden age of Mandolin building!

You mentioned Adrian Minarovic in your above post. He is also building part time but his profile is a bit higher here at the cafe as he posts in the builders section and many builders and non builders alike have purchased his Loar plans through Elderly Instruments. He lives in Slovakia and may be in a very small group of builders living in Slovakia. Great guy and I'm fortunate to have his #07.

It would be nice to see folks like Adrian building full time if they desire such a move. The builder's website with soundbites is an interesting idea as it could showcase the builders, their insight and examples of their work.

pickinNgrinnin,
    I agree. It is especially interesting to keep a close watch on the "small" or part-time builders. Often enough their work is astounding. I only know of Adrian Minarovic because of the café and the posts concerning his loar plans and his mandos. It would surely be nice to play one, as well as a mandolin by "billbows" (on the cafe), a Stan Miller... and the list goes on. It´s just great that there are so many of them out there and the choice is hardly limited.

Sadly enough the part-timers are flying so low under the radar that you just see a great mandolin and you wonder where it comes from. It reminds me of the stories of the 70ies when Doyle Lawson got his first Paganoni. As far as I know John Paganoni was a part time builder himself, being in the army (?). Here too you´d have to find the needle in the haystack.

And yes, I second the motion to have a builder´s section with aditional information/links to soundbytes, youtube, video chanels and such.

I really cherished Mr. Mix approach to testing different mandolins on mandozine. I still go there once in a while to listen to the test cuts. I also drove my wife nuts while listening to the mandotasting CD.
    Olaf

Default Re: Vana mandolin f5 master model

Vana F5 MM mandolin - sound samples !!

Hooray, there are some recordings of a brand new Vana mandolin owned by TVojtek and showed here in this discussion above.

Big Sciota (wav, 9,6 MB)
    Nine Pound Hammer (wav, 4,8 MB)

The recording was taped outside by Zoom H2 recorder. No EQ was used.
    The same same distance from the mandolin and the guitar was preserved (appox. 1 m).
    The Vana F5 mandolin is played by Honza Maca, the Martin D35 1978 guitar by Tomas Vojtek.

The new Vana mandolin website will be finished soon .. stay tuned : -)

Olaf,

the last I saw, he had a beautiful, Loar-style F5 for $2,000. His A5's, Loar-style too, were also around the same price. But that was about a year ago, so things could have changed between now and then.
    Wes
    "i gotta fever...and the only prescription is more cowbell!!"

'87 Flatiron A5-JR/'25 Gibson A-JR

Vana F5 MM mandolin - sound samples works again !!
    Sorry for unavailabilty in last few days..

Hooray, there are some recordings of a brand new Vana mandolin owned by TVojtek and showed here in this discussion above.

Big Sciota (wav, 9,6 MB)
    Nine Pound Hammer (wav, 4,8 MB)

The recording was taped outside by Zoom H2 recorder. No EQ was used.
    The same same distance from the mandolin and the guitar was preserved (appox. 1 m).
    The Vana F5 mandolin is played by Honza Maca, the Martin D35 1978 guitar by Tomas Vojtek.

The new Vana mandolin website will be finished soon .. stay tuned : -)
    Hajd is online now Report Post Reply With Quote

The sound samples works again!
    Please use the links posted below (post #56).

H.

The Forrest Gump of Mando Rob Powell's Avatar

It sounds fabulous!
    "If you can make it to 50 without growing up, you don't have to..."

Rob Powell AKA The BeerGeek

Hi, there is few photos my Vana mandolin F5-M, mandolin was made in July 2007.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/bulin.pavel/MyMandolin#
    Pavel

can we get a hint on their prices?

this guys work appears to be pretty perfect.
    Heiden F-5 #110
    GMC Terrain VIN 2GTEC13Z871107423
    2007 Tempurpedic mattress
    $1.35 in assorted change

When I first saw the name of this thread, I thought I'd pop in and make some comment like" So were is Pat Sayjak?" Having seen the pics, it looks to me that I would have been out of line if I had done it. They all look REAL nice!

mandomania7923: Write him an email for current pricelist. The contact mail is at http://www.vanamandolins.com/

Regards,

Jan

Hajid and Tomas,

is there any chance that you will be at the EWOB festival next week? I´d love to see and play a Vana mandolin and the Czech republic is not on my travel itinerary (though Caslav is coming up I don´t know if I can make it there).
    Olaf

Hi, if you want to see pictures of the current generation of Vana mandolins and mandolin family instruments check his facebook page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/vanamandolins
    (You can search it even if you're not on facebook)

Quote Originally Posted by Hajd View Post
    Hi, if you want to see pictures of the current generation of Vana mandolins and mandolin family instruments check his facebook page here:
    https://www.facebook.com/vanamandolins
    (You can search it even if you're not on facebook)
    No you can't.
    Bill Snyder

Bill, I can open the page and browse the photos and information included even when logged off the facebook. When logged off I cannot of course “like“ or comment the pictures.

WOW !! Just stopped by his FB page. He does some seriously clean work. Thanks for the heads up on yet another name I've never heard, turning out amazingly skilled work.

Jim

Some very nice Mandolins posted here.

Vana mandolins have a new website! Have a look, watch the photo gallery and videos. More content to be added soon ;-)
    http://www.vanamandolins.com/

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Nice site.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Yep, nice site indeed!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

this guy has been on my radar for years... apparently somewhat of a mandolin virtuoso as well as a master builder. VERY impressive in every way. now if only i could walk into a store and buy one!

Glassweb,
    All you have to do is fly to the Czech Republic and walk through his door. There you go problem solved.

I'm on the line to my pilot as we speak. Glad to have won that Mega Lotto a couple of weeks back! (sigh, if only...)