Thread: International luthier's supply

kestrel

I've attempted several searches, but have come up empty-handed, so I'll just ask.

Have any of you had any experience with ordering from ILS, Inc.? I placed my first(a good sized order) from them a couple of weeks ago, and received the majority, yesterday. There was no packing slip, nor any explanation regarding the reason was not completely filled. Since the entire amount had been deducted from my bank account, I assumed that everything had been shipped, so I attempted to reach them by phone, calling probably thirty times, yesterday, and at least twenty, so far today. Yesterday, I got constant busy signals. This morning, my first attempt got a ring tone, but no answer through a couple dozen rings. Every succeeding attempt yielded busy signals. I, also, emailed them yesterday, but have had no response.

Has anyone else had similar experience with this company? I can't believe that anyone could be so busy as to be on the phone one-hundred-percent of the time for two straight days.

Thanks,

Gene

I had the very same experience when trying to call them...either busy or rings with no answer. I sent e-mails with the same no response. I ended up faxing them my order...hoping for the best. I received everything that I ordered very quickly. It was just a little scary trying to order from someplace that won't communicate with you.

I had a very similar experience with them. After having placed an order, I waited over a month with no shipment or any word from them. I also made multiple calls over several days and finally did speak to someone there. They were very rude and acted as if I was disturbing them by my asking questions about the order. I immediately canceled and decided that good service is worth paying for!

I haven't dealt with them and probably won't because your dilemma has come up several times. Here's a thread, here's another from last year.

Good luck, bennyb

kestrel

Man, I wish my searches had turned up something before I ordered from them. I have more trouble with the Cafe search function, than I can understand. I tried International Luthier Supply; International and Luthier's and Supply; ILS; ILS Inc; and every combination I could think of, and got nothing. This happens to me frequently enough that I seldom attempt a search.

Anyway, according to my cell phone listing, I have tried calling them 47 times, today. One multiple ring with no answer, and 46 busy signals.

I'm hoping I get my four ebony peghead veneers and tortoise pick guard material. I guess I'm lucky that I got everything else.

Don't think I'll go there again. Weird!

Gene

Need I say...."You've been warned"
    I had read the same postings on this site as you have, so with some trepidation I sent them an e-mail requesting a quote with shipping, for some items I was interested in.
    They couldn't even favor me with a reply.

Sanchan

Had you searched with the search terms international the word AND and then the word luthiers (international AND luthiers)in All open forums, titles only, this month and older you would have seen these threads. The key is use two related words with the AND between them. Start out with the topics only to limit the number of searches and always choose This month and older.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Can you say,"FQMS" or "Stew-Mac"?
    TJohnson

People try to order from ILS because their prices are usually much lower than those other places. They keep their overhead low by forgoing things like call waiting, an answering machine, a computer, service, etc. Not worth the trouble.

I'll just add: this is a company that could succeed. The catalog is good(broad variety, easy to negotiate,well organized,works on dialup), the prices are good(assuming they can make some money at it, maybe that's the issue), it seems that the customer relations is where it fall down hard. I hope some locomando can get in there and bring it up to speed.

bennyb

I deal with them all the time, however I work 15 minutes from their shop/warehouse so I go over to them personally.

I will say it is a mom/pop operation that is ran by the two sons. They are very nice but lack "new technology", they have an older computer and they rarely check emails, as mentioned previously they do not have call waiting or anything.

They are cheaper but it comes at a price of being very slow for mail order.

I hate that they lack the ump for new technology because as I have said they are very nice people.

kestrel

"International and Luthier's and Supply

Mike - Above is one of the things I tried, and I did use "All open forums, titles only, this month and older". Can you only use two words with the "and" in between? I would really like to learn how to use this search feature. I usually get hundreds of unrelated items.

Thanks,

Gene

Just use two, more and it gets confused.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

For my search referenced above I ran International AND supply. I meant to run AND luthiers(I just spaced it out). I got 2 pages worth of threads, many obviously relevant in the titles. Search here is not like google, it does not look for what it thinks you mean, but it does work. My experience is two words connected by AND(I use the caps) works best. Putting things in quotes " " has never worked for me. Keep trying and best of luck.

bennyb

It's a simple search engine compared to what is available now but it can be useful. You just have to know the limitations.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

mandolin player wannabe leathermarshmallow's Avatar

I made an order from them about 3 weeks to a month ago...I still haven't heard a thing!

Greg
    Greg in AZ
    Gee...I wish I didn't have such fat fingers!

kestrel

Well, three days of nothing but busy signals. How do these people stay in business. They don't do on-line orders, don't bother with email, don't pay any attention to faxes, and don't answer their phone. They only take orders over the phone. Somebody must have had a weak moment the day I called in my order.

If gasoline wasn't four-dollars a gallon, I'd consider taking a vacation, and paying them a visit. This is absurd!

Gene

If they are holding your money I suggest that you send them a certified mail, return receipt demand letter, saying that you want to cancel any outstanding back-orders and refund of any prepayments made. Also state that if they do not respond within two weeks you will send a copy of the documentation on this order to the Oklahoma Attorney General. If you mailed them an order then also specify that the documentation will be sent to the USPS Postal Inspectors.

International Luthiers Supply, Inc.
    P O Box 580397
    Tulsa, OK 74158

It is no excuse for bad service, be assured from their statement below that they are aware of their own limitations but they must be legally held responsible:

"When emailing us please keep in mind that we have limited resources to respond and thus a timely response may not be possible. If you are emailing to cancel an order or to conduct some other timely business please call us so that we are able to help you as quickly as possible."

kestrel

Just a quick update. Nearly two-weeks have passed. I've attempted calling every day. Prior to 0900, it rings, but no answer. After that, busy signals all day. I've not received the rest of my order, nor have I heard zip from them. Monday morning I'm sending a certified letter.

Anyone want a recommendation for International Luthier's Supply? Here's one: Stay as far away from them as you can!

Gene

After spending thousands of dollars with them in the 70's and 80's I had to give up on them entirely after one bizarre transaction when they wouldn't replace a set of "potato chip" mandolin sides. I gave them the benefit of the doubt a number of times before that incident.

I just went to there website and found this notice.

Announcement: We are moving out of our current location. We will most likely be closed until Monday, June 16th. If you have a current order in with us we will begin processing those orders next week as we unpack at the new shop and will be getting them shipped ASAP.

I am not making an excuse for there habit of ignoring customers, in fact I experienced the same thing last year.
    I won't order from them again, I could accept almost any problem someone may have. But to ignore someone completly
    is the deal breaker for me.

I did get my last order after waiting 3 months. Over 20 yrs
    of great service, but now, Once bitten twice shy.
    It is a shame, I hope they get it figured out.

Tom