Thread: String choice

Has anyone compared the GHS strings with D'Addario J74 Any difference in sound. ?

I personally don't like GHS strings. But strings are a personal preference, you just have to try them too see.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

what is each wound with?, [G&D] comparing Nickel and Bronze is literally
    an Apples and Oranges thing.
    now, if you are Comparing 2 Brand names ,like with like helps.
    Both using a Phosphor Bronze winding and the same diameters,
    for core wire and winding wires, then a comparison of near equals will be more practical.

the ones I really hate are the broken ones.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I think some people are reluctant to say that they can hear no difference between one thing and another, for fear that others may think they have a bad ear or a bad mandolin. I have used both GHS and D'Addario, with the same metals and gauges and I did not really have a preference - I think both are high quality. Pearse, GHS, and D'Addario, in the same metals and gauges are all very good strings, to my ear.
    John Liestman -
    Eye new ewe wood lye kit!

Blog Entries

I agree that GHS and D'Addario strings are both good. Webers come strung up with GHS Bronze, and they are dark and complex. D'Addarios (EXP74s) are bright and feel a little looser for quite a while, but they tightne up and sound dark after some significant playing.

I personally go with EXP74s, mostly because they feel so much looser for a while. I find them very easy to play. When my mandolin had GHS Bronze strings, I could tell the top was being worked pretty intensely, for whatever reason, because the sound was really thick and deep, which I actually like. However, the fingerboard felt like cement. I couldn't do things very easily. The EXP74s were instantly way easier to play, and they offered a very crisp, albeit smoother, lighter sound. The volume is still there, but it's just a more crystalline type of sound. I love it.

You can only decide for yourself. Your mandolin may respond completely differently than mine. Oddly, I put on regular J74s and it felt tighetr than the GHS Bronze. When I went back to EXP74s, it loosened up again. It was amazing, really. The only difference in J74s and EXP74s is the EXP coating.

Here's a true story...:

I used EXP74s on a previous mandolin, and I decided to switch to Gibson Monels to see how they sound. The top of my mandolin had a clear through crack in it the next morning.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

I have always used D'Addario J-74's, but I have had GHS strings on my two mandolins for about a week. I have GHS Silk n' Bronze on my F-9, and A270's on my A-5G. I am pleasantly surprised at the difference of the GHS vs. D'Addario J-74's. I like the darker tone of the GHS strings. I always found that J-74's have a brighter tone. I especially like the heavier A-string of the GHS sets.

It seems that the GHS strings stay in tune much longer. I can play at night, and the mandolins will both still be in tune when I reach for them the next day. With D'Addario J-74's, I have always noticed the need to tune quite often, especially with new strings.

I believe I have found a new favorite brand of string. The GHS brand is serving me well. Of course your observations may be different. Best to sample both brands of strings on your mandolin to see which sounds best to you.

♪☮♫ Roll away the dew ♪☮♫ Dan Krhla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (The Briggadier @ May 26 2008, 21:13)
    I agree that GHS and D'Addario strings are both good. Webers come strung up with GHS Bronze, and they are dark and complex. D'Addarios (EXP74s) are bright and feel a little looser for quite a while, but they tightne up and sound dark after some significant playing.
    Do you know if this is true of the Sweet Peas as well? I just got one this weekend (review in a couple days I hope) and was interested in how 'medieval' the strings sounded. I was planning on emailing them today to find out. I am pretty much a Labella light or JazzMando player, so these are chewing my fingers something wicked, but I love the sound...
    do good things

Your mandolin top split from the force of Gibson Monels !?
    That's scary.
    Are there lb tension specs available for the Monels?
    Wye Knot

Quote Originally Posted by (devilstone_the_bard @ May 28 2008, 11:09)
    Quote Originally Posted by (The Briggadier @ May 26 2008, 21:13)
    Do you know if this is true of the Sweet Peas as well? #I just got one this weekend (review in a couple days I hope) and was interested in how 'medieval' the strings sounded. #I was planning on emailing them today to find out. #I am pretty much a Labella light or JazzMando player, so these are chewing my fingers something wicked, but I love the sound...
    For some reason I recall the Sweet Pea having light strings on them. I bought J62 or something for mine when I had it.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I recently replaced the Sam Bush's on my Weber for J74's they lasted only long enough for me to get my hands on more Sam Bush's
    Shad
    Help is on the way a government team of experts Is a'rushin' to your aid... -- Stephen Stills

Weber Diamondback F Custom
    Martin 000-18GE

String update....
    I had been using J-74's all the time, but the mando I play the most sounded "brassy" or "edgy"....don't know how to best describe it, but not what I wanted. It was suggested I try a steel string rather than bronze, so I tried GHS silk and steel. They sounded pretty good, but felt very strange under my fingers....sort of rough and sticky.
    I played a young man's mandolin equiped with Elixrs (sp?) last week and they sounded great on his Gibson Monroe, so I ordered some . While I was ordering, I also ordered some Sam Bush strings. I am happy to report that I think my string search is over. They sound great and feel good. If they hold up pretty good, I'm sold. #

Thumbs up

I like the J74's myself

[QUOTE]
    I used EXP74s on a previous mandolin, and I decided to switch to Gibson Monels to see how they sound. The top of my mandolin had a clear through crack in it the next morning.
    I don't think that there is a direct causal relationship here, my preference on my Collings MF5 are the Monels with the .14 A strings swapped out for .15's, and have noticed no problems.
    I just put on some D'Addario JS 74's to try stainless steel but they have only been on for two days so the jury is still out. Has anyone else tried them?

Quote Originally Posted by (Slim-Pickins @ May 26 2008, 12:16)
    Has anyone compared the GHS strings with D'Addario J74 Any difference in sound. ?
    I won a years supply of GHS strings, slim. Messege me and I'll send you a pack.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

I may give the JS-74's a test drive. I think the ss works much better with my mando than the bronze alloys....

I used J74s for a long time before trying the GHS 270. I like the GHS set better for a a couple reasons. The beefier A string, they sound darker leading to a better chop, and seem to last a little longer. I still try J74s from time to time but prefer the GHS 270s.
    Ocean Blvd - Funky Jazz (https://oceanblvd.band)
    Cosmic Ramblers - Bluegrass, Americana (facebook.com/cosmicramblers)
    HotQua String Band - Gypsy Swing, Latin Bluegrass

Main Mandos: Nashville Flatiron A5 Artist, Belmuse 4 string electric