Thread: Allow myself to introduce...myself

New member/new mandolin player (not sure if i can honestly call myself a player yet, but i'm trying). I have a fairly substantial amount of experience with piano and guitar, but have always loved the mandolin and have meant to get one and learn for a couple years, finally took the plunge and ordered one.

I am currently deployed to Iraq, so there aren't exactly a lot of experienced teachers around here, but i have hal leonard's method and fretboard roadmaps to guide me.

I have been browsing (lurking) around this forum for a while, and really like it. There is a lot of good information, and all the people seem very sincere and willing to offer help/advice. Unlike some other forums where everyone just wants to make themselves feel good by belittling people every chance they get.

Anyway, didn't mean to be so long winded. I generally do more reading and browsing in forums than actually posting or asking crazy questions without searching, but I wanted to at least introduce myself.

gary
    Gary

Fender FM-63S
    Ovation 1778T Elite
    Seagull Coastline S6 GT

Welcome! Your guitar skills should help quite a bit, I also played guitar before. You may find yourself not wanting to play guitar again, the mandolin is so fun to play. The piano is the only instrument that I consider above the mandolin overall. This website is great for all players, especially beginners, and everyone is very helpful with any questions you may have. Enjoy learning and playing, and thanks for serving our country.
    Brandon
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

Unrepentant Dilettante Lee Callicutt's Avatar

Welcome, Gary. Hope you come home soon.

Blog Entries

Welcome Gary. #This is a wonderful forum--full of helpful information. #And even when the threads aren't being particularly informative, I'm sure you have noticed they are entertaining. #I would guess you have had to pay special attention to suggestions on keeping instruments properly humidified. #Good luck learning the mandolin. #I expect that much of what you have learned on your other instruments will speed your mandolin progress. #

Thank you very much for your service and best of luck to you.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the Café, Gary. If you have access to a printer you can use our Tablature page to get more tunes. If you have access to a dedicated PC you could use the TEFViewer on Mandozine.com to get songs and even hear midi versions (and vary the speed) of the songs too.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

welcome and thanks for your service. here's to your safety and lots of good picking.
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

M@ñdº|¡ñ - M@ñdºce||º Keith Erickson's Avatar

Gary,

God Bless you and thank you so much for your service to our country.

You'll get a lot of advice on the mandolin. If you don't mind, I would like to add my two cents.

One Christmas, my wife bought me John Major's Mandolin Chord Book. It's small enough to fit inside your case and it's loaded with some awesome information.

Welcome to the Wide World of Mandolins. You're in great company here.

Get home safe and we look forward to hearing from you.

Warmest regards,
    Keith Erickson
    Benevolent Organizer of The Mandocello Enthusiast

Gary-

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service to our country!

Hello,

As others have said, God bless you and a BIG THANKS for your service to our country in Iraq.

I support what you are doing and know you are making a difference for those who can't stand up for themselves.

As far as mandolin content, this is the BEST resource you will find. If you seek knowledge of the mandolin, this will be your most help.

God bless you again and thanks.

Nick

We're happy to have Gary here but let's try to keep ourselves within the realms of the posting guidelines. That means these posts need to be free from anything that might be considered a political statement. We're grateful for all of those that serve this country but opinions one way or the other on what is happening where he is should be omitted. Thanks.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (garyovich @ May 22 2008, 07:57)
    I generally do more reading and browsing in forums than actually posting or asking crazy questions without searching, but I wanted to at least introduce myself.
    Welcome. There is a lot here to accelerate your learning.

There is also the counter effect - There is a lot here to keep you from playing and practicing.

So remember - it should be more playing and practicing than reading and browsing!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Hello and welcome garyovich. Congratulations on choosing the BEST stringed instrument devised by human beings! I'm sure you'll really enjoy it. May God keep you and your buddies safe and thank you for serving your country.

I have to second others' opinions and say --

Be careful with the mandolin, it could limit your time with other instruments

And, with much emphasis, thank you for serving us all.
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Welcome aboard and watch your step we just mopped the deck.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Welcome to the site and the mandolin. I am new too and have found everyone here helpful and supportive. Best of luck with the rest of your deployment!

Look up (to see whats comin down)

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Gary, thanks so much for your service, seems I saw an article about a bluegrass band in Iraq made up of soldiers. Of course people cycle in and out of their quite often. Where are you from when not in Iraq? You will be surprised how fast you will pick up the mandolin having played other instruments before. I was talking to Danny Roberts (Grascals Mando player) at a festival last year and he said that he played guitar and fiddle first and the first day he ever picked up a mandolin, he entered a mando contest at a festival and won! Course he is one of those super talented guys that make the rest of us sick with envy! Good luck with the Mando and come home safe!

Darrin Tissandier
    Former Air Force Crew Chief F-15s during desert storm.
    Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

Welcome, and as we say in cornfield county, 'happy hunting'.
    mick meinsler

If you pay me enough I will go to Iraq for the summer and teach you.

That is a joke.

Welcome & keep your head down buddy !!.You've picked a beautiful instrument to learn. There are so many facets to Mandolin playing as you'll discover,it's an intriguing instrument.
    All the folks on here are GREAT !!.There's information about virtually everything to do with Mandolins & the playing thereof. If you have a question or need info.,just ask & there's nearly always someone to help out. Here's one Brit.that wishes you well,take care,
    Saska
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by (F5G WIZ @ May 23 2008, 07:02)
    Gary, thanks so much for your service, seems I saw an article about a bluegrass band in Iraq made up of soldiers. Of course people cycle in and out of their quite often. Where are you from when not in Iraq? You will be surprised how fast you will pick up the mandolin having played other instruments before. I was talking to Danny Roberts (Grascals Mando player) at a festival last year and he said that he played guitar and fiddle first and the first day he ever picked up a mandolin, he entered a mando contest at a festival and won! Course he is one of those super talented guys that make the rest of us sick with envy! Good luck with the Mando and come home safe!

Darrin Tissandier
    Former Air Force Crew Chief F-15s during desert storm.
    Darrin, I haven't heard of a soldier bluegrass band, but I wouldn't be terribly surprised. Will see what I can find. I'm originally from MO, but I currently call Clarksville, TN home. Hopefully, when I get back to the states I can find a good local teacher to get some instruction from and fix whatever bad habits I get into from teaching myself...Seems like living on the border between KY and TN and 45 minutes from nashville that shouldn't be a big problem.
    Gary

Fender FM-63S
    Ovation 1778T Elite
    Seagull Coastline S6 GT

enjoy yourself and keep safe!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Another "welcome" to a really fun site. You will enjoy your mando-training as you get better and better. Don't give up when things get hard (on the mando). Thank you for your service and come home safe.

Georgetown Indiana, Across the creek from Louisville KY.

Yeah there might be a couple guys around that can show you some things in TN. #I'll be down in that area 4th of july for the Smithville TN Fiddlers Jamboree. #I'll see if I can find the link to that news story about the Bluegrass band in Iraq. #Stay safe.

Found this link to a video, it's not the one I was thinking of but it's in Iraq. They need another mando picker! Too many Banjos and Geetars!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHZSTqL9lLQ

Darrin

Poe#5, Neely#72, Kentucky KM 150 (The Bagram Beater)
    http://WWW.myspace.com/easternskybluegrass
    http://www.myspace.com/darrintissandier

Blog Entries

Gary and Darrin,

I think the video you saw was in this thread. Direct link to the Military video you were talking about.
    Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +