Thread: Guitar forums

I've been looking for a classical guitarist in Northern NJ to play duets, trios, etc. #I posted on Delcamp.net but haven't gotten any replies yet. #Anyone out there know of any other forums that might be appropriate? #I play mandolin at an intermediate level and would hope to find same or higher skill in a classical guitarist. #I don't know why this is so hard.

Dan
    Dan

Dear Dan,

Try posting your request on Craigslist.org, (New Jersey), it is free and very popular.....
    James

I second Craig's list. I have several friends that have populated bands that way.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Ok. Craigslist.com it will be.
    Dan

Hi Dan,
    You could also try the Acoustic Guitar Forum, Classical Corner. http://www.acousticguitar.com/

Doreen

Peter Press in Westchester County, NY is an amazing classical guitarist (and mandolinist) and is an excellent teacher. I don't know if he'd cross the Hudson for lessons, but its worth asking. PM me if you are interested.

Now posted on Craigslist.com, acousticguitar.com, and delcamp.net. No love yet.
    Dan

Dan: I tried to find someone like that up here in Westchester -- in fact, I posted an ad on craigslist -- but only one guy answered my ad however he was really more interested in jazz and besides he had a new baby, so that never worked out.

I hope it works out better for you. Perhaps another possibility is to contact classical guitar teachers at local music schools and see if there are advanced students who might be interested.

Michael: I think Dan was looking for a guitarist to play with not to take lessons from, but I agree that Peter is a very good musician and teacher.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim - I did speak to a guitar teacher at the local community college who I took some cg lessons from years ago. #She set me up with a guy who is not that far away. #I emailed him some music and he got back to me that he just became very busy and had no time. #I have no idea if the music was too challenging, too boring, or if he just got too busy.
    Dan

I actually tried three people and did the same thing you did, sent them music etc. There was the one guy from the ad and two other guitar playing friends: one is a rocker who also plays acoustic and has studies some classical and the other is a folkie. Both are good musicians but I think busy with other music and with life and families -- much like myself.

I think the key is to keep trying and let the other person tell you if he/she is not really interested. I think you have to be a little pushy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1