Thread: looking for info

I know this is a Del Oro Mandolin, but thats all i know .. Does anyone know anything about this mandolin. # #It lookes old mabye early 1900's or late 1800's? The wood piece that sits under the hole that holds the stings is off but i have it inside the mandolin hole so it dont get lost. Can anyone tell me anything about this mandolin?? And how much it might be worth.

amy

OK everyone keeps looking at my post but no one replys.. I take it that no one knows nothing about this name brand of mandolin???
    amy

mabey its spanish?

Blog Entries

looks like a Kay to me
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Registered Person

I agree, probably a Kay from the 30's-40's. Kay made all kinds of brands for all kinds of different houses. They pop up on ebay quite frequently. Nice little guys, though. Anywhere from 50-100, but that's just my guess.

I was thinking it was spanish to. I was surfing the web and everything i found on Del Oro it was in spanish. Does the scratches depriciate the mandolin?
    amy

Sorry, but this one's almost definitely a Kay (search the web/ebay for Kay, or look at the book "Guitar Stories, Vol 2" By Michael Wright). This shape is mostly associated with this Chicago-based company. They made TONS of instruments under all sorts of brand names.

If it isn't a Kay, it's probably an even cheaper knockoff, or maybe even a later Japanese import. But the stenciling looks very '30s. Neal's guess is probably about right value-wise. The scratches will make it worth less than a pristine version, but again we're not talking about a lot here to begin with.

If you want a definitive reply, try emailing George Gruhn at Gruhn Guitars in Nashville - though I'm pretty sure he'll agree with what's been stated here. For a fee, he'll even give you a written appraisal if you want. But don't get your hopes up.

Ok i surfed the web and looked at the Kay mandolins they do look simular . I also noticed the Kay mandolin dont have holes why? As you can see i know nothing about mandolins other then it looks like a guitar to me haha .. and thank you for taking the time to tell me a little something about this mandolin and if anyone else wants to add their two sence , drop a line. TY
    amy