Thread: Another case question (for a "a" body mando)

Sorry if I am going over old ground but this is yet another seeking-the-right-case for a particular mandolin thread which I know has been covered both before and elsewhere...but I've searched the archives and existing messages and haven't found the info I'm looking for so.....here goes.

The mandolin I need a case for - a newish rich and warm sounding Jade "A" - from Bob's small violin shop in China.

It came with a decent-but-not-great larger rectangular foam/padded case which is protective and functional.

What I would like is - a smaller form-fitting hard case - similar to the one that came with the old Gibson A I used to own a few lifetimes ago....not a fancy case but a functional one...and one which is SMALLER than my current basic foam rectangle

The REAL reason is - those older form-fitting cases are (in my experience) significantly SMALLER (dimension-wise) than just about everything else - which makes them the ideal take-onto-an-airplane-and-stash-in-the-overhead-compartment case. #Which is what I need....since I'm going to be doing some traveling soon....and I need a smaller/more airplane-sized case.

I've looked at one or two local music stores and found one new case which is almost exactly what I'm looking for and a good fit too - made by Weber, it is the case they package with their 'A' body mandolins - and it's a beautiful, small, quality case. #The only catch is - it's PRICEY... (close to $250 retail) - and that's a stretch for my budget.

So - my question is - is there anything around which has the quality of a Weber 'A' case....but for less money?

(.....PAUSE.....waiting for the laughter to die away....)

No, seriously....is there?

(....another PAUSE....for more laughter....)

I suppose I could always look for a used Weber A case - but they're so nice, why would anyone who had one....want to sell it. #Damn.

Any suggestions....or ideas.....would be appreciated.

Miguel
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon
    http://migueltejadaflores.wordpress.com/

TKL shaped A case or any of those Canadian hardshell A style cases with arched tops. I have my Gibson snake A2 in a TKL and it likes it just fine.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Jim Garber turned me onto these cases a few years ago as well. They're actually pretty decent. Beyond that if you need a brand I'll agree with Jim that you can go with a TKL.

"It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

The heaviest case I've ever had was a Weber Rectangular. It was built like a tank and weighed it too. (I've not held the Calton). If you don't feel the need for interior storage, I like the Eastman Fiberglass F style Case. Good suspension and they come in cool colors. Light weight, very small profile. I curl my strap in the scroll section. I wish they still made their A style case... C'est la Case.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Saga/golden gate offers a thinly padded hardshell case.
    Though,
    it's shaped for an F too.
    no personal experience
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Just be sure and avoid any case with a flat top - they have no strength against being squished. A case with a real arch to the lid is much preferable. The one Mike references above has a flat lid, and TKL makes (or at least markets) them, but TKL also makes the arched ones. They are well worth the wee bit of extra money. Elderly appropriately refers to TKLs and other as "CANADIAN MANDOLIN CASE" Classic workhorse cases manufactured in Canada that have been around for decades and marketed under a variety of names over the years (Everest, Grand Prix, Superior, TKL,.....). Plywood shell, 3 or 5 plies, arched top or flat, sometimes arched top and back. The basic one is this one and there are others.

Saga's "Golden Gate Deluxe" appears to be nearly identical, and the same price: $80. Not made in Canada though.

Bill Collings uses a fancy "TKL" one - five plies, arched top and back, fancy handle, made in Brooklyn for TKL, and Collings owners are forever dumping them on eBay in favor of Caltons, so you may find the best wooden "Canadian" case there for less than a new plain one.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

Thanks for the specifics, Paul! I didn't realize that there were structural issues between literal flat-top cases and arch-top ones....that is good to know. This is valuable ammunition for the search.
    -Miguel
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon

I picked up a $40 buck F style case from MF when I ordered my MM-30 and it works pretty well. The extra room where the scroll would go on the body gives me room for my strap and it fits the A style just fine. Also, at a later date when I get an F style mando I'll already have a case.

garded

Here's another vote for the F case for an A. Got one with my Furch and it fits great, and that extra room is what I use for my arm band and bandanna for wiping down the neck . Usually in a form fitting case there's not much room, only for like a tuner.

Quote Originally Posted by (JEStanek @ May 18 2008, 16:16)
    ...If you don't feel the need for interior storage, I like the Eastman Fiberglass F style Case. Good suspension and they come in cool colors. Light weight, very small profile. I curl my strap in the scroll section...
    I keep my A in my white Eastman fiberglass F case. It can be a tight fit for an F, but for the A it works beautifully. And like Jamie says, you can loop your strap where the scroll would have gone. As for storage, I keep a point & shoot camera bag on my shoulder strap to hold little things that would otherwise go in a case compartment.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

I just saw this one in the classifieds. Anyone ever hear of Schuster cases?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lg_open_case_1211287135.jpg 
Views:	225 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	32014  
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

Where in the classifieds? Link? Never heard of this case.
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

I can't find it either.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Sorry, it's being sold with the Old Wave A Oval Hole 1996 add #28570, or you can go to the linked website Here

And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

Blog Entries

That case intrigued me too... I found nothing on Shuster mandolin case with a google search. Hope they didn't go belly up after 96 when that Old Wave went in it...

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Blog Entries

another vote for the inexpensive one from musician's friend. I havent had any issues with mine. not the lightest in the world but not a burden either.
    Original acoustic music - Solo Octave Mandolin - Original Folk Music

I've got one of the shaped grey Weber A cases that I will part with for a very reasonable price-nothing even near half that price you quoted. PM me or call me at the shop and we can chat.

j.
    www.condino.com

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product....=541967
    Here's the one I picked up. Seems to work as well as any and the price is right.

That Schuster case looks a whole lot like a Calton in the other picture on the website.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

There was a Czech Made thermoplastic case with rubber rather than aluminum edges mentioned FS by Kurt in AK a week ago, so wonder if its one of those ?, comes into the US mostly with a Czech made mandolin in it.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Wound up buying a lightly used Weber A-style case from James Condino here on the Cafe who didn't need it any more....and it fits my mandolin (or rather, my mandolin fits it) perfectly. And....James parted with it for a price that was more than reasonable....so....thank you James - and thanks to everyone else for thought-provoking and informative comments.

Miguel (whose pretty Jade A-model will travel more happily and in much more security now)
    Miguel Tejada-Flores
    Somewhere in Oregon

I have a Schuster - the "F" version of the one in the photo. It came from TAMCO (Trevor may remember them but they're not on his website) in around 2003. Nothing special but perfectly serviceable. Its nothing like a Calton - at least not the "real" UK made ones!
    Ray

Capek and Lebeda mandolins come with Schuster cases. I haven't seriously looked into getting them, I've been (among others) working with Hiscox on a new mandolin case... I think it will be a while yet.
    http://www.hiscoxcases.com/
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.