Thread: Feedback on doug edwards' mcclung armrest

I am writing this post to provide some feedback on a purchase or two I made after reading recommendations from other posts.

A few weeks ago I ordered an armrest from Doug Edwards (the "McClung" model). A week later, I had the armrest. I sent a photo of my mandolin by email with my order, and Doug did a great job matching the finish to my mandolin (a Flatiron F5 Festival, made in Nashville after Gibson's acquisition).

My observation is that this is a huge aid for positioning of the forearm and and wrist, at least for those players who seek a bit of arch in the rest (i.e., who do not play with the bone on the heel of the palm resting on the strings, leaving a flat wrist or even a reverse angle with the fist pointing above rather than below the wrist).

It requires far less tension or concentration for me to get an angle in my wrist. I reattached my pickguard after the armrest came and, combined with the armrest (which my fingers will touch lightly for reference when I play with a freestanding wrist), it has made it much easier for me to tremolo with an arched wrist.

From my perspective, the armrest does not effect or impair the resonance of the mandolin, and if anything improves it. That is because the part of the armrest that attaches to the mandolin (much like the way a chin rest attaches to a violin) does not extend beyond the edge of the top and bottom of the mandolin where they attach to the side of the mandolin. Without the chin rest, my arm covers more of the service of the mandolin's top and had more of a muting effect on the instrument (not a huge difference, but noticeable nonetheless).

The real advantage, however, is the way it makes it easier to play with minimal tension with an arched wrist. As one other observation on equipment, I just received the Wegen TF140 pick last week (triangle, bevelled, with holes in the pick to aid in gripping it). Combined with the more arched wrist, I am getting a level of tone out of the instrument that I have not gotten in the past.

No financial interest in the armrest, Wegen picks, etc. But I wanted to thank all of you for your various pick and hardware recommendations that helped me make some decisions. And thanks to Doug for making a great armrest for a very reasonable price!

--John

Thanks! Great report. I'll prolly get one for my Poe.
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."

I have 2 of them...I don't think I could play mando without them anymore...I'm hooked!

They help out a ton...Have two and will probably get at least another one...

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I've got 2 of Doug's Original Style armrest and love them. I agree about helping with the arm angle, but I just like not having pain in my forearm from the sharp edge of the mando. I don't know how much better the McClung Style can be.

Either way, Doug does a great job, both in workmanship and customer service!!

Phil
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I've tried to tell from the pictures on the site.

Do they require holes to be drilled? Or is it a clamp? If it's a clamp will it leave a mark on the mandolin? I'd like to order one but I'm in serious babying mode for my Collings.
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

linguist - No, there is no drilling or anything like that. The arm rest hardware is similar to (or maybe the same as) a violin/fiddle chin rest. It has cork that cushions your mandolin from the hardware. Some folks say it mars the finish but in my experience, it hasn't. Try it, you'll like it.

I liked my first armrest so much that I bought one for each of my mandolins! I like them both for the arm angle and getting my arm off the edge of the mandolin. They couldn't be easier to install, and I haven't had any marring of the finishes on any of my mandolins. And Doug is a pleasure to deal with.

Joe

The postman delivered my McClung on Saturday and I quickly installed it on the Fern. My first impression was "WOW!" it makes the playing position feel so natural. After a couple days of playing with the McClung on I'm sold - one will be on each mandolin I own from now on.

Thanks Doug!
    '08 Weber Fern 'Old Wood' Red Spruce

Blog Entries

My new McClung style armrest came from Doug yesterday, just in time for a band performance. I have been using a typical flat style armrest for a while but felt that it wasn't quite right. So I installed Doug's armrest and after a few short minutes of getting used to it, am now very impressed and happy. The forearm angle this armrest creates is perfect for me. The end result of using it is that I am more comfortable and experience much less forearm tension. It all adds up to playing better. These McClung style armrests are terrific!
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

I put one on my 1917 F4 with the cork padding the clamps. I can't remember who made it. It left a mark on the back but not the front mandolin surface. The old finish on the back was already crazed so was maybe more susceptible to marking. The marking is a dullish darkened look where the clamp touched, and can be seen from 6 feet away if you know where to look. I took it off, but may use it again as the mark now is already there on the back and it should protect the front from my arm, and I did like the feel of playing with it on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (lmartnla @ June 07 2008, 10:18)
    I put one on my 1917 F4 with the cork padding the clamps.#It left a mark on the back but not the front mandolin surface. #
    I do advise removing the armrest when you aren't actually playing. I keep mine in my case pocket.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

mandolin player wannabe leathermarshmallow's Avatar

I tried taking mine off and playing...I am so used to it being there, that it felt awkward without it!
    Greg in AZ
    Gee...I wish I didn't have such fat fingers!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (mandogal @ June 07 2008, 16:39)
    I do advise removing the armrest when you aren't actually playing. I keep mine in my case pocket.
    Are you just pushing it on with a friction fit? Surely you're not actually using the little tool to tighten the bracket every time you play?
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

I love my McClung armrest and leave it on all the time. I would be lost without it.
    Fender Tele
    Epiphone Nighthawk
    Ibanez AF75
    Yamaha CPX-500
    Alvarez AD80SSB
    Alvarez RD2012S
    Blueridge BR-240
    Flinthill FHM-75

I love mine, also. My shoulder feels much more relaxed.

Dena