Thread: Paris, nice, early june

My wife and I will be spending a few days in Paris in early June, then a couple of weeks in Nice. I'd be very glad to hear of any regular jams in either city that might tolerate a mandolin player. Hot club, musettes, choros, etc., or heck, even that hillbilly music. Or if anyone in either place would like to get together for some picking, let me know by PM (en français, si vous voulez). Thanks.

BC

Quote Originally Posted by (Bruce Clausen @ May 09 2008, 00:27)
    ... or heck, even that hillbilly music.

BC
    http://www.france-bluegrass.org/
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

Cafe member French guy might know of some. Les se les bon temps roules, Mon ami!
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Thanks for the help so far. I'll be looking forward to hearing that excellent French hillbilly Philippe (Lefty&French) and jamming together-- but over a glass of good burgundy rather than a jug of white lightning. Also hoping to meet Jean (French Guy) and see some of his instruments. Any other tips?

BC

Hello Bruce! Jean will be there, and some burgundy too...
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

If you're taking in museums, I think the Cité de la Musique is a worthwhile stop. They have Django's guitar and more Strads, Guarneri's and Amati's than should be under one roof. R&F Charle music shop is also a fun place to hunt down. They're in a gallery on a street that's so short that it's not on most of the tourist maps, so you might want to call or email for directions.

Tim
    "I'm not buying a banjo, I'm performing a public service by taking it off the market"

Sorry I am new to this genera, but a "French Bluegrass" website? #Wow, that is really cool! #Every where I look around here I find out something new. #Rattlesnake rattles in the mando? #Gotta love country folk, no matter where they are!

Bruce good luck with your burgundy and your jam. #You will have "report" once you get back. #I myself would like to hear how this all turns out.

Peace Always,
    Todd

I second Tim's advice : François and Rosine Charle are wonderful people :
    http://www.rfcharle.com/
    "Bonjour chez vous!"
    Phil.
    Wondergrass
    MoonShine

Thanks for the tips, gentlemen. I will look for the Charle shop-- can I say "Lefty sent me"? As for the museum, it sounds great, but I'm not sure I really want to see Django's guitar. I saw Segovia's great Hauser at the Met in NY, and it was kind of sad to see it just sitting there silent in a display case full of musical odds and ends.

I see there are also a bunch of music shops near Pigalle metro, which is roughly where we'll be. And yes, Todd, I'll file a full report, hopefully with a few photos.

BC

Hey Bruce , sorry to arrive sooooo late in this topic , your luggage are probably in the plane and/or you are maybe arrived in France right now . I must say that are so very welcome in la Grange Rouge and I'm exited to meet you .

Just got home from this wonderful time in France. Didn't manage to make contact with other players in Paris, but somehow we found things to do in that city. But we had a great weekend-- in terrible weather-- in the Burgundy region at the Grange Rouge bluegrass confab June 7 and 8. We were made welcome and very well treated by Café members Philippe and Jean. I had a chance to jam with some excellent musicians-- at one point I recall "The Cuckoo's Nest" played by six mandolins plus bass. Got to play standards with a fine guitarist "ilipus" and the lovely chanteuse Mathilde, who lent me her very nice mandolin built by Jean. Also met and heard some French bluegrass kingpins with handles like Mandotof, Reso-man and Flatpickdude (sorry their real names aren't coming to me). In an evening concert, we heard a number of really fine bluegrass bands from Paris and elsewhere, including Philippe's Bluegrass Matinee. The luthiers on hand included Hervé Coufleau, who makes fine F-5s. The food was as excellent as the company.

In Nice we hung out with old friends (I was a conservatory student there eons ago). Got to hear the fine guitar duo of Ako Ito and Henri Dorigny supplemented by two of their students in a concert that included Vivaldi and Albeniz but also some musette and bluegrass arrangements. Henri transcribes material from records by Doc Watson, the Kentucky Colonels, etc. and performs them with various combinations of instruments. Another highlight for me was listening in on a rehearsal of the very fine young classical mandolinist Sabine Marzé, whose international career was launched last year with her victory in a big competition held in Osaka. A real artist player, playing on a very serious level with a great accompanist, guitarist Ako Ito.

Need I mention the beautiful cities, the gorgeous countryside, the food, the wine?

BC

Bruce , do you know how we where happy to meet you at La Grange Rouge , I must create a link from FBMA website to this topic , so all the persons you met there could see by themself the nice words you wrote . Thank you and keep in touch with the french compagny .
    PS: weather is really fine here right now , not like you experiment at beginning of june .
    Jean

It was good to see you both here in France. I'm sorry the weather was not so good on Saturday but we had a fun weekend.
    Next time you come back log directly onto our forum and all the gang will be there to respond.

By the way if anyone else is coming over this summer, we organise a big BG festival August 1-3 here in the French Alps - just across the border from Geneva. 3 Fox Drive will play and about 30 bands from all over Europe. Entrance is free.

La Roche sur Foron

France Bluegrass Musique Association
    http://www.france-bluegrass.org