Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kaufman mandolin kamp

June 16-21. Teachers include Carlo Aonzo, Butch Baldassari, Roland White, Don Stiernberg. Should be something for everybody.

I went to the first Flatpicking camp about 10 years ago and will be attending as a Mandolinist this year.
    When 'good enough' is more than adequate.

Thumbs up

I'll be there! My first time and I"m practicing ferviously somehow I don't think it'll be enough. But a week of pickin' will enjoyable nonetheless.

I'm signed up too. Second time at Kamp - I did the Week 1 flatpicking rotation last year, but I'm switching to mando this time since there's a niche there in my jam group I can fill. I'll be in the intermediate group.

I'd love it if Butch were there -- that was part of the draw to switching to mando this year. I'd assume he's going to be too busy getting well to make it in June, though.

I'm practicing feverishly myself. If last year is any guide, I KNOW it won't be enough.

Blog Entries

I'm going too, and I'm really looking forward to it. I am also fervidly and furiously practicing. For you experienced folks, are there any items not on camp's checklist that you wished you had brought or were glad you did? Any other advice for a first timer?

Nothing really in the way of material things. A lot of folks suggest bringing along a little coffee pot, but I didn't miss having one and I'm a coffee junkie.

I did wish last year that I'd spent more time practicing simple versions of breaks as fast as I could pick them, instead of complicated breaks that I couldn't couldn't play fast. That's the main difference in how I'm approaching things this year.

I'll be there. Get plenty of rest before you arrive. Don't sit on your hands when you find a jam... join in. You'll need extra long twin sheets for the beds. You can find them in most college towns and most WalMarts. Not in Maryville though. They'll be sold out after Week one. Adult beverages are not officially allowed on campus, but you can discreetly drink in the rooms. You won't find drunks there though, just some moderate consumption on a relaxation/vacation mode. Hit all the concerts. Work on something and plan on playing at open mic. Great experience. Go to Isaac's at night. If you value sleep, get a non-jamming dorm. If you like to pick, get a jamming dorm and bring some earplugs when you must crash. Did I mention to come rested. You will leave exhausted. Don't plan on doing anything strenous on Monday of the following week... or Tuesday... maybe not Wednesday. Introduce yourself to people in class and at lunch. This is for fun. Don't get all serious. Play in time and in tune. Back off when others are taking their break... in other words, be a good jam partner and you will get far.

I'm back to intermediate this year (please don't ask the 'which pick' or 'which strings' should I use question. I took advanced classes and there were some serious jazzers and swingers (not that kind!) in class who wanted to know more about odd chords and such than my simple bluegrass brain wanted to hear. I go for the people and the jams anyway... but I find that with most classes I don't recall specifically what they taught, but I end up using it later on almost unconsiously. It's so much info in a week, you basically learn by osmosis. Did I mention to have fun.

See you all there. Not long.
    Rick in Memphis

I'll be there for mandolin camp this year. I've been to banjo camp in the past. Great camp. I'm looking forward to it this year. A mandolin is so much easier to carry around and play.:D
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

Quote Originally Posted by
    A mandolin is so much easier to carry around and play.:D
    I am seriously considering leaving my guitar behind. Since I will probably spend 99% of my practice time on mandolin between now and then, I'm not sure a guitar will do me a lot of good this time around.

Thanks GE for the info. Never heard of extra long sheets. I planned on taking my sleeping bag. I hear you -have fun, come rested, and be friendly. I think I've can do that Is there a mando cafe gathering? If not, we should set one up...BTW, what is Issaac's

Foggy, if you don't have extra long sheets bring a set that is larger than a regular twin. #You can do the sleeping bag thing, but this is Tennessee... in JUNE! #You might wish you had lighter bed linens than a sleeping bag. #The air condition is apt to blow directly on you at night but still be too warm for a blanket. #Bring sheets for a double bed or queen or something and just tuck them creatively. #We had long sheets because most college dormitories have extra long twin mattresses.. the sheets are not really good anywhere else.

Isaac's is the late night student 'cafe' where you can go after the evening performances. #They serve a great burger. #You can get ice cream and other goodies. #They have an open mic and Kampers get up and perform individually or in groups. #You can also sign up for open mic during the week to perform before each evening concert. #That's a bit more intimidating if you aren't used to gigging... four or five hundred people in theater style seating watching you. #Isaac's is more intimate. #Maybe 20 to 80 people sitting at tables munching on burgers or slurping drinks and ice cream. # Cafe gathering sounds good. #Maybe on Monday after the greeting / group photo session. #Sunday evening after the meeting might work. #Or Monday after lunch. #Lunch hours are less definite since people come and go, but we could set a time after lunch that would leave enough time to talk a bit.

Rick in Memphis

Rick,
    #Thanks again, playing in front of that many people seems daunting but what #the heck, I'll give it a go! Roger that on the sleeping bag, sheets it is...Your suggestions for a Mando meet sound go, let's see what others have to say that are reading this thread/going to the Kamp have to say. I thought another photo with us all holding our mando's might be cool as well.
    Rob in Portsmouth VA

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Yep. I'll be there too.
    I went last year and did the beginner classes. Ready for intermediate this year.
    I had more fun in 1 week than I could have imagined last year.

Somebody keep posting a time for cafe members to meet. Should be a blast!

Phil
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Smile

Hey, here is more information about Kamp! I am counting the days til I go. I have come away from there in a fog (must have been a banjo thing). I'm looking forward to learning far more than I know now on the mandolin. I know it will be fun. http://www.acoustic-kamp.com/html/brochure.htm Having been there in the past, you will want the sheets, trust me. But, do bring your sleeping bag, at the very least in can be a blanket depending on what dorm you stay in. Shorts and flip flops are a must too. And plenty of spending $$$$$$.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

Well, I might as well post that I have already signed for the mando week as well. This will be my first time. I'll be in the intermediate group hopefully. I just got back from Merlefest. What a blast. I'm an old timer started with the mando about 3 1/2 years ago. Still having some problems with double stops, licks, etc. Hopefully, this will help me with these. See ya'll then.

Bob
    South Georgia

I'll be there. I'm bringing a doghouse bass if anyone wants to jam. Just look for the idiot wandering around with a mandolin and big bass.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Dave, Glad to hear you've decided to go. I'll see you there.
    We few, we happy few.

10-4 there John. See ya in June.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

That's 10 of us so far.
    We could have one heck of a Mandomania!

What's that? 43 days and counting?
    Phil

I might have to leave after a few tunes and go play on the Watson stage.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

Best wishes to all -- I have to miss it this year

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

Smile

Just a thought for all who are going to Kamp this year. Maybe we could really show our support for Butch and make sure we have our "Band together for Butch" braclets on our mando's or person when we go. And maybe get a picture of us all with Butch and send to Sinclair? If you don't have a braclet please get one and help support a great cause. Thanks. Susan
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

Great idea, Susan.
    I'll have mine.
    Phil

I'm going. This will be my second kamp. Looking forward to getting there and hope to meet some "cafe" folks there.
    Alan Taunton

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Anyone wearing a Butch band will probably be a cafe member, so don't be afraid to come up and introduce yourself.
    We few, we happy few.

Blog Entries

Should I bring my guitar? Would it be needed for jamming, or is it easy to find a willing guitarist? (I'm concerned that the flatpickers will want to huddle together in order to get more lead break opportunities.) I really like to play with a bass, glad to hear Gutbucket's bringing one. Would an electric bass and smallish amp be welcome and useful, or is it the wrong vibe entirely?

Put my vacation leave request in this morning. I'm really stoked about this.