Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Kaufman mandolin kamp

Quote Originally Posted by (pickloser @ May 09 2008, 10:23)
    Should I bring my guitar? #Would it be needed for jamming, or is it easy to find a willing guitarist?
    You will laugh about this comment once at Kamp. #Willing guitarists!!! # We'll be swimming in mando and guitar pickers... mostly guitar. #Anyone competent with a bass, banjo, or fiddle will be the most popular musician on campus. #You WILL have to work harder to find good singin' bluegrass jams. #I have a good handle on a banjer player. #If'n you want fiddle tunes and are jam shy, go to the organized slow or intermediate jams in the a.m. #Led by Kamp liasons, they are very supportive. #Otherwise, hang outside of Carnegie after the shows, or get your own group together in whatever jamming dorm is nearby. #

Wear your Butch bands, Mandolincafe attire, or stickers. #We'll find a time and place to meet. #But I ain't organizing it!

But, I didn't answer your question. Heck yeah, bring your guitar.

Rick in Memphis

Blog Entries

I'll be ready to laugh about anything at a camp for playing music. I'd much rather play mando there if guitar players are at a premium, but the last camp I went to was Golden Valley Girl Scout Camp where they taught us to "be prepared."

Are extra instruments safe back in the room? Any stealing issues in the past? I haven't known my mando a long time, but my guitar and I are dear friends.

Thanks for the info,
    Laura

Your rooms are dorm rooms and only you and your roommate have keys. So, yeah, they're safe. Heck, go to lunch and you will see a pile of instruments (I mean 100-200 instruments) in the front lobby. These are likely $800 to $4000 instruments. I have yet to hear of a theft. There have been instances of mistakenly picking up similar cases. I suggest you put some cool stickers or maybe a big pink yarn bow on your case to keep that from happening. Then again, if you have a relatively inexpensive instrument, leave it plain and see if you can find that someone has taken your Travelite with a Washburn and left you a Travelite with an Ellis in it.

All kidding aside. People there generally have name tags on at all times (buy a lanyard for a buck at registration!!!!) There are so many instruments. Your stuff is safe. I know guys who bring up to 5 guitars... all very high end stuff. It's a music camp. Just make sure you have good backpack or lightweight cases. Lugging Calton guitar cases around all day simply isn't fun.
    Rick in Memphis

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

There's a picture of the lobby of Pearson Hall on the Kamp site in the archive section. You'll see what Rick is talking about with instruments stacked up while people eat.
    We few, we happy few.

Don't forget about the "Band Scramble" at the end of the week. Lots of fun to join or watch. And watch out for Deetle Dots on your name tag. Get more then one and hang your head in shame.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Blog Entries

Dare I ask what a Deetle Dot is and how to avoid them, or is this one of the ways new Kampers are identified and/or humiliated?

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

No, Deedle Dots are awarded for noodling on the mando while the instructor is trying to talk. While they threaten to hand these out, I never saw one given to anyone. It's just na effort to get people to pay attention.
    We few, we happy few.

Blog Entries

I'd love to go but it all sounds a little intimidating to someone who is an "emerging" mandolin picker. I'm not a rank beginner but not in the intermediate league either. What the best fit for me?
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

Blog Entries

I don't know the answer to your question, Mandogal, but have you looked at the on-line brochure section on playing level placement?

http://www.acoustic-kamp.com/html/br...cement%20Level

Last year was my first time going to Kamp. My biggest regret was not knowing enough tunes by heart so I could jam more. The smartest think I did was stick myself in the intermediate group. Level choice is a pretty personal thing. There were a few people in my class that seemed frustrated or irritated when certain instructors would start up on the theory. You can't please everyone. I'd say mentally I was very comfortable in the classes, nothing was over my head. Most of the players in my class were probably better than me, but then again I went there to learn and not to size up my chops.

I'm not the most extroverted player and I wasn't sure what to expect either. It was fine. It's a very welcoming environment and they keep you so busy that you don't have time to worry about anything else. I'd recommend finding one or two of the organized group jams and make them part of your daily schedule (I wish I did this more). I also found the instructor master classes very helpful. In these one-on-ones, you sit in front of the instructor (you can pick any or all of them) and play them a tune. Then they make suggestions about technique and playing style. It was both helpful and reassuring.

I'm trying to get on an every-other-year cycle for Kamp, so I hope to make it next year.
    Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Smile

This will make my third year to go. First as a mando picker, I've only been playing mandolin since September, and I'm going to try intermediate level. One thing I've found is most everyone (teachers and students) is very helpful and willing to share their knowledge. You don't feel intimidated either, especially in the slow jams. Casey heads up the slow jams and was pretty strict about speed. I'm learning my songs, but at my age it isn't easy. I'm looking forward to Kamp and meeting some other Cafe members.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

2007 was my first year at Kamp. I chose the "beginner" class level (not the rank beginner, lowest level) since I only knew a few tunes by heart and played everything pretty slow, although I could chop chords along with most everything. I started the mando 12 months before going to Kamp.

In retrospect, I probably would have learned more in the intermediate classes. I think I attended every slow jam that occurred all week, and they were helpful.
    I've spent a lot of time with the mando this year and expect the intermediate classes to be much more helpful.

Everything previously said about intimidation is true. Essentially, there is none. Everyone I met was supportive and I never saw ANYONE make a student feel inferior or unwelcome.

My advice is to sign up for intermediate classes if you can jam with others, and beginner classes if you can't. In any case, don't hold back. If someone says "would you like to ..." , say "yes, of course I'll give it a try".
    I'm shy by nature and if I can do it comfortably, anyone can.

Summary: It was one of the most fun weeks I've had in my whole life!

See you there.
    Phil

Oh, and don't worry about Deedle Dots.

Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Ditto Phil, I'm shy too, but love a challenge. I go to a jam once a week and love it. I've learned more from the jams than here at home. I go away from Kamp whipped, but with a lot to put into practice, wouldn't you agree?

I hope, Mandogal, you will consider the intermediate class. There will be plenty of help if you feel lost or over your head. And who knows, maybe you and I will room together, just never know. And I don't plan on getting any Deedle Dots either.
    Susan
    Weber SE
    Hoffee Mandolin case

Come on Mandogal. You know you want to!

Phil
    Phil

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (Philphool @ May 16 2008, 00:13)
    Come on Mandogal. #You know you want to! #

Phil
    Yeah, I do want to go. Not sure if I can make it happen yet.
    BRW SP-H3 2 point
    BRW LP-H3 2 point
    Weber Bighorn oval hole
    Weber Bighorn Mandola
    Weber Octar D-hole
    -------------------
    "The creative is the place no one else has ever been... What you will discover will be wonderful; it will be yourself." Alan Alda

Blog Entries

Mandoplayer noted that:
    [/QUOTE]I also found the instructor master classes very helpful. In these one-on-ones, you sit in front of the instructor (you can pick any or all of them) and play them a tune. Then they make suggestions about technique and playing style. It was both helpful and reassuring.

I would like to take advantage of instructor input, but it makes me nervous just thinking about it. What would be appropriate to play for the instructors? Difficult tunes one has learned; typical tunes; technical studies; chopping; double stops? I wouldn't imagine that you have much time with them. Any other info on what to expect with this?

Nervous or not, I think this whole thing is going to be a blast.

Odd thing is, I was most comfortable playing in front of the instructors. Play a tune you know well. The purpose isn't to impress them, it's to seek their advice to improve your playing. As for time, it's probably 5-7 minutes per student in the room. There are usually about 4-8 students in the master classes, each person gets some time. While each instructor is different, most of the advice revolved around technique, not performance. So, you're not going to get slammed for playing too slow It's a very open and welcoming process that I didn't find intimidating at all.

Charlie Jones

Clark 2-point #39
    Rigel A Natural

Blog Entries

It's getting close y'all! #

I've been working on the fiddle tunes, but are there songs that seem to be particular favorites at camp? #I was thinking it might be useful to learn lyrics and work out breaks to some more songs. #(Trying to maximize my jam-ability.) #Any favorites or suggestions? #

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by (pickloser @ May 23 2008, 09:02)
    It's getting close y'all!

I've been working on the fiddle tunes, but are there songs that seem to be particular favorites at camp? I was thinking it might be useful to learn lyrics and work out breaks to some more songs. (Trying to maximize my jam-ability.) Any favorites or suggestions?

Thanks
    ================================================== =
    In class, fiddle tunes and some bluegrass tunes seem to rule. Tennessee Waltz, Kentucky Waltz

I've heard all of the following in unstructured jams:

fiddle tunes.
    Circle of fifths stuff like Sweet Georgia Brown & Alabama Jubilee
    Any Bluegrass song.
    El Cumbanchero
    Dawg music (if you play better than I do)
    Jazz like Jethro

Pretty much depends on what jamming group you find and like.

You'll always find someone who will like doing what YOU can do. Prepare, but don't sweat it. It will turn out good.
    Phil

Fiddler & Mandolin Player Dave Reiner's Avatar

I posted a list of around 200 jam tunes that I recalled from the 2007 Kamp at http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....t=45021

Hope these help!

Dave
    '04 Gibson F3, '04 Gibson A4, '06 Gibson F4, '26 Gibson F5, '27 Gibson F4, '87 Givens A6, 2017 Kimble A5

Author, Anthology of Fiddle Styles; Co-author, Oldtime Fiddling Across America
    Genial host, Fiddle Hell Online (coming up on April 11-14, 2024, with 220 concerts, jams, & workshops (incl many for mandolin) and free replays for 4 months)
    Join www.facebook.com/groups/fiddlehellmassachusetts
    Free jams on our YouTube channel YouTube.com/FiddleHell
    More info at fiddlehell.org

The Kamp is teeming with guitarists. Unless you really want to play guitar
    you'll have no trouble finding six string help. More upright basses around than you'd expect. Leave the amp at home

Well folks, I've had to cancel because of work. I'll sure be jealous reading y'alls post-camp reports. Have a great time!

Sorry to hear that, Joe. Doesn't your workplace understand how important mando stuff is?

It IS hard to get away sometimes. Maybe later. We'll play one for you. Maybe "Lonesome Moonlight Waltz"

Phil

I was at the SK Flatpick camp back in the 90's and have not had a chance to get back -so hopefully this year will be the year for mando camp! Can't wait to meet some Cafe folks there!

I might add that it appeared everyone had a great time no matter what their skill level was.

Quote Originally Posted by (Philphool @ May 25 2008, 21:33)
    We'll play one for you. Maybe "Lonesome Midnight Waltz"
    Thanks Phil - I've applied my deposit to 2009, so I'll see you in about 12.5 months!