Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Any thrash metal fans on the board?

For me Metal speaks to my head, Bluegrass speaks to my heart. I guess as I get older I'm listening to my heart a bit more but I still love metal. Bluegrass just seems to fit my age and "style" now days better. Plus, it's creepy to see a 46 year old guy playing metal, it's "normal" to see one playing Bluegrass though, LOL.

I never did enough crystal meth. J/K, no I like music that, when played through mega mega distortion and cranked up to 11 on the Marshall Stax and the guy's out there with the cookie monster voice and he's thrashing away and the drummer's totally exploded and smoke's coming outta his head and the bass player well his skull is totally frying and the pyrotechnics team is giving each other high fives and belly bumps and cheap liquor and marlboro reds are all I can smell...man thats living.
    Ooh, he card reads good.

Im gonna get grief for that last one! Just kidding folks!
    Ooh, he card reads good.

Quote Originally Posted by (minnedolin @ April 22 2008, 22:35)
    Im gonna get grief for that last one! Just kidding folks!
    Too much Metalocalypse on Adult Swim?

Toki Wartooth rules!
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Not a big thrash metal fan, but back in the day I was into AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith and then morphed into more punk stuff like The Clash, early Police, U2, Suicidal Tendencies, etc.

Right now I'd say my three favorite bands in my car CD deck are Allison Krause/Union Station, The Dropkick Murphys and The Foo Fighters.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Murderface!
    Murderface!
    Murderface!

Can one really get TOO much Metalocalypse?

Prefer the "Prog" rock & metal to "Thrash" . These days Tool and Korn are the most likely "metal" CDs to join my current rotation of Grisman, Bush, Benson, Monroe.

We caught Queensryche performing "Operation Mindcrimes" note for note, at the Louisville Palace about 2 years ago. If i ruined anyone's time by singing along with every note, I humbly apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by (drmole @ April 24 2008, 00:39)
    Prefer the "Prog" rock
    I don't listen to Tool, so I can't even compare them, but if you like "Prog" then you should love Porcupine Tree.
    '08 Weber Fern 'Old Wood' Red Spruce

Quote Originally Posted by (ChicoBluegrassFan @ April 23 2008, 22:43)
    Prefer the "Prog" rock
    I don't listen to Tool, so I can't even compare them, but if you like "Prog" then you should love Porcupine Tree.
    How would they compare to Dream Theater? I love the instrumental work of DT, but the vocals can get a little "cheesy" (something that I feel a lot of Prog can suffer from).

I saw Petrucci on the G3 tour in 2000 or so. I really love his playing.
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

Prescott, AZ

Petrucci is a god on guitar. He has some of the smoothest runs that I've ever seen. And what can you say about John Myung, I've NEVER seen any bass player do some of the stuff he does and that includes such legends as Geddy Lee. For me Dream Theater is THE Prog Metal band, period.

Once you start getting into the realms of Satriani, Via, Stu Hamm, Wooten, Lifeson, Pastorius, Patitucci, Meyer, etc., it transcends genres. Unbelievable talent expressing it in ways not normally appreciated by the masses. Sort of like New Grass, Tony Rice, Mike Marshall. I guess it is like the Uncertainty Principle with all these great players, you might be able to get a fix on their current position, but you wont know their momentum!

Murderface!
    Murderface!
    Murderface!

Can one really get TOO much Metalocalypse?

Prefer the "Prog" rock & metal to "Thrash" . These days Tool and Korn are the most likely "metal" CDs to join my current rotation of Grisman, Bush, Benson, Monroe.

We caught Queensryche performing "Operation Mindcrimes" note for note, at the Louisville Palace about 2 years ago. If i ruined anyone's time by singing along with every note, I humbly apologize!
    I listened the heck out of Mindcrime back in the day and some of the earlier Queensryche. I'll have to revisit that and see how I hear it today.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

Quote Originally Posted by (TeleMark @ April 24 2008, 09:40)
    Quote Originally Posted by (ChicoBluegrassFan @ April 23 2008, 22:43)
    Prefer the "Prog" rock
    How would they compare to Dream Theater? #I love the instrumental work of DT, but the vocals can get a little "cheesy" (something that I feel a lot of Prog can suffer from).

I saw Petrucci on the G3 tour in 2000 or so. #I really love his playing.
    I tried Dream Theatre and did not understand the attraction.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN

Dream Theater is a musicians band. Most non-players just won't get it. Way too much "music" for most. That's why Green Day is so popular, most people can't deal with more then about 3 chords and a small, simple guitar solo. LOL.

I listen to a lot of hardcore punk and, to me, there is a lot of similarity between hardcore and bluegrass/old-time music. The chords and beat tend to be simple (often 3-chord tunes in a 2/4 rhythm), the tempos are relatively fast, the vocals are often raw, and the lyrics are sometimes silly. Plus (a big one for me) intensity is usually valued more than technical proficiency.

I guess if I liked a more sophisticated and polished sound, I'd listen to pop and country.

Quote Originally Posted by (TNFrank @ April 24 2008, 19:14)
    Dream Theater is a musicians band. Most non-players just won't get it. Way too much "music" for most. That's why Green Day is so popular, most people can't deal with more then about 3 chords and a small, simple guitar solo. LOL.
    Doh, you got me. A musician I am not.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN

Quote Originally Posted by (earthsave @ April 25 2008, 06:37)
    Doh, you got me. A musician I am not.
    LOL, dude, I just KNEW you were going to take what I said wrong and come back with something like that.
    I think you REALLY know what I'm trying to say. Most people that are into groups like Dream Theater are into playing as well, they understand what it takes to play that way. People that don't play just don't understand how hard it is to do a run like Petrucci does or play the bass like Myung does.
    I never said you weren't a musician, LOL. Don't take what I say the wrong way, just trying to point out that there's a big difference in generally who likes "technical" groups and who likes simple groups.

the Clash was good... his voice was almost reminiscent of Bob circa Blood on the Tracks days.
    Ooh, he card reads good.

two word, doods.
    black sabbath.
    may we all release discs as solid as their first four lp's.

Quote Originally Posted by (TNFrank @ April 25 2008, 17:08)
    Quote Originally Posted by (earthsave @ April 25 2008, 06:37)
    Doh, you got me. #A musician I am not.
    LOL, dude, I just KNEW you were going to take what I said wrong and come back with something like that.
    I think you REALLY know what I'm trying to say. Most people that are into groups like Dream Theater are into playing as well, they understand what it takes to play that way. People that don't play just don't understand how hard it is to do a run like Petrucci does or play the bass like Myung does.
    I never said you weren't a musician, LOL. Don't take what I say the wrong way, just trying to point out that there's a big difference in generally who likes "technical" groups and who likes simple groups. #
    Seriously tho, you got me... I aint a musician.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN

i worship ideas, not technique.

<i worship ideas, not technique.>

It's a sad when a person lacks the technique to realize their idea

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

Quote: It's a sad when a person lacks the technique to realize their idea

Would it not be far more sad to have good technique - but a dirth of musical ideas? ANYONE (physical limitations withstanding) can develop technique with practice and persistence. Creativity with the music does not necessarily follow. #

I become frustrated when my technique does not keep up with my ideas. Can play most of them on a keyboard - but transfer said idea to a fretboard of any kind and my technique will "encourage" me to simplify. #BUT - happiness can be found. Practice allows technique to improve daily. I don't know if the same can be said for creativity - it can be nurtured, expanded and changed but good musical ideas are far more elusive than good technique ( also far more subjective #)

I hope my ideas continue to outpace my technique - if one can imagine a line or phrase that is difficult to play - practice takes care of the problem. What happens when one can't imagine anything they can't already play?

I think music starts in the heart, goes to the head and comes out in the fingers.

Oh Yeah man...I (barely) remember seeing Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth back in the day!

Now adays I have two indentities...the people who know me for playing country/folk/rock mandolin...and the people who know me as the crazy who plays electric guitar with his teeth....tee hee
    PeacE
    Brian

Hey Brian,
    I feel the same way. People have found the old bands I played with back in my rebellious life!!! and man oh man it was fun!