Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 75 of 75

Thread: Any thrash metal fans on the board?

  1. #51
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Crossville, TN., U.S.A.
    Posts
    333

    Default

    For me Metal speaks to my head, Bluegrass speaks to my heart. I guess as I get older I'm listening to my heart a bit more but I still love metal. Bluegrass just seems to fit my age and "style" now days better. Plus, it's creepy to see a 46 year old guy playing metal, it's "normal" to see one playing Bluegrass though, LOL.

  2. #52
    Registered User minnedolin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    169

    Default

    I never did enough crystal meth. J/K, no I like music that, when played through mega mega distortion and cranked up to 11 on the Marshall Stax and the guy's out there with the cookie monster voice and he's thrashing away and the drummer's totally exploded and smoke's coming outta his head and the bass player well his skull is totally frying and the pyrotechnics team is giving each other high fives and belly bumps and cheap liquor and marlboro reds are all I can smell...man thats living.
    Ooh, he card reads good.

  3. #53
    Registered User minnedolin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Im gonna get grief for that last one! Just kidding folks!
    Ooh, he card reads good.

  4. #54
    Jest passin' thru... TeleMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (minnedolin @ April 22 2008, 22:35)
    Im gonna get grief for that last one! Just kidding folks!
    Too much Metalocalypse on Adult Swim?

    Toki Wartooth rules!
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

    Prescott, AZ

  5. #55

    Default

    Not a big thrash metal fan, but back in the day I was into AC/DC, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Ozzy, Led Zepplin, Aerosmith and then morphed into more punk stuff like The Clash, early Police, U2, Suicidal Tendencies, etc.

    Right now I'd say my three favorite bands in my car CD deck are Allison Krause/Union Station, The Dropkick Murphys and The Foo Fighters.

  6. #56
    once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Murderface!
    Murderface!
    Murderface!

    Can one really get TOO much Metalocalypse?

    Prefer the "Prog" rock & metal to "Thrash" . These days Tool and Korn are the most likely "metal" CDs to join my current rotation of Grisman, Bush, Benson, Monroe.

    We caught Queensryche performing "Operation Mindcrimes" note for note, at the Louisville Palace about 2 years ago. If i ruined anyone's time by singing along with every note, I humbly apologize!

  7. #57
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Chico
    Posts
    256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (drmole @ April 24 2008, 00:39)
    Prefer the "Prog" rock
    I don't listen to Tool, so I can't even compare them, but if you like "Prog" then you should love Porcupine Tree.
    '08 Weber Fern 'Old Wood' Red Spruce

  8. #58
    Jest passin' thru... TeleMark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Prescott, AZ
    Posts
    459

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (ChicoBluegrassFan @ April 23 2008, 22:43)
    Quote Originally Posted by (drmole @ April 24 2008, 00:39)
    Prefer the "Prog" rock
    I don't listen to Tool, so I can't even compare them, but if you like "Prog" then you should love Porcupine Tree.
    How would they compare to Dream Theater? I love the instrumental work of DT, but the vocals can get a little "cheesy" (something that I feel a lot of Prog can suffer from).

    I saw Petrucci on the G3 tour in 2000 or so. I really love his playing.
    __
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity
    -- Hanlon's Razor

    Prescott, AZ

  9. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Crossville, TN., U.S.A.
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Petrucci is a god on guitar. He has some of the smoothest runs that I've ever seen. And what can you say about John Myung, I've NEVER seen any bass player do some of the stuff he does and that includes such legends as Geddy Lee. For me Dream Theater is THE Prog Metal band, period.

  10. #60
    Registered User tkdboyd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Posts
    893

    Default

    Once you start getting into the realms of Satriani, Via, Stu Hamm, Wooten, Lifeson, Pastorius, Patitucci, Meyer, etc., it transcends genres. Unbelievable talent expressing it in ways not normally appreciated by the masses. Sort of like New Grass, Tony Rice, Mike Marshall. I guess it is like the Uncertainty Principle with all these great players, you might be able to get a fix on their current position, but you wont know their momentum!

  11. #61
    The Bloomingtones earthsave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    1,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (drmole @ April 24 2008, 00:39)
    Murderface!
    Murderface!
    Murderface!

    Can one really get TOO much Metalocalypse?

    Prefer the "Prog" rock & metal to "Thrash" . These days Tool and Korn are the most likely "metal" CDs to join my current rotation of Grisman, Bush, Benson, Monroe.

    We caught Queensryche performing "Operation Mindcrimes" note for note, at the Louisville Palace about 2 years ago. If i ruined anyone's time by singing along with every note, I humbly apologize!
    I listened the heck out of Mindcrime back in the day and some of the earlier Queensryche. I'll have to revisit that and see how I hear it today.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

  12. #62
    The Bloomingtones earthsave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    1,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (TeleMark @ April 24 2008, 09:40)
    Quote Originally Posted by (ChicoBluegrassFan @ April 23 2008, 22:43)
    Quote Originally Posted by (drmole @ April 24 2008, 00:39)
    Prefer the "Prog" rock
    I don't listen to Tool, so I can't even compare them, but if you like "Prog" then you should love Porcupine Tree.
    How would they compare to Dream Theater? #I love the instrumental work of DT, but the vocals can get a little "cheesy" (something that I feel a lot of Prog can suffer from).

    I saw Petrucci on the G3 tour in 2000 or so. #I really love his playing.
    I tried Dream Theatre and did not understand the attraction.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

  13. #63
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Crossville, TN., U.S.A.
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Dream Theater is a musicians band. Most non-players just won't get it. Way too much "music" for most. That's why Green Day is so popular, most people can't deal with more then about 3 chords and a small, simple guitar solo. LOL.

  14. #64
    Dan Stewart stewartd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    17

    Default

    I listen to a lot of hardcore punk and, to me, there is a lot of similarity between hardcore and bluegrass/old-time music. The chords and beat tend to be simple (often 3-chord tunes in a 2/4 rhythm), the tempos are relatively fast, the vocals are often raw, and the lyrics are sometimes silly. Plus (a big one for me) intensity is usually valued more than technical proficiency.

    I guess if I liked a more sophisticated and polished sound, I'd listen to pop and country.

  15. #65
    The Bloomingtones earthsave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    1,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (TNFrank @ April 24 2008, 19:14)
    Dream Theater is a musicians band. Most non-players just won't get it. Way too much "music" for most. That's why Green Day is so popular, most people can't deal with more then about 3 chords and a small, simple guitar solo. LOL.
    Doh, you got me. A musician I am not.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

  16. #66
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Crossville, TN., U.S.A.
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (earthsave @ April 25 2008, 06:37)
    Doh, you got me. A musician I am not.
    LOL, dude, I just KNEW you were going to take what I said wrong and come back with something like that.
    I think you REALLY know what I'm trying to say. Most people that are into groups like Dream Theater are into playing as well, they understand what it takes to play that way. People that don't play just don't understand how hard it is to do a run like Petrucci does or play the bass like Myung does.
    I never said you weren't a musician, LOL. Don't take what I say the wrong way, just trying to point out that there's a big difference in generally who likes "technical" groups and who likes simple groups.




  17. #67
    Registered User minnedolin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    169

    Default

    the Clash was good... his voice was almost reminiscent of Bob circa Blood on the Tracks days.
    Ooh, he card reads good.

  18. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    105

    Default

    two word, doods.
    black sabbath.
    may we all release discs as solid as their first four lp's.

  19. #69
    The Bloomingtones earthsave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    Posts
    1,514

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by (TNFrank @ April 25 2008, 17:08)
    Quote Originally Posted by (earthsave @ April 25 2008, 06:37)
    Doh, you got me. #A musician I am not.
    LOL, dude, I just KNEW you were going to take what I said wrong and come back with something like that.
    I think you REALLY know what I'm trying to say. Most people that are into groups like Dream Theater are into playing as well, they understand what it takes to play that way. People that don't play just don't understand how hard it is to do a run like Petrucci does or play the bass like Myung does.
    I never said you weren't a musician, LOL. Don't take what I say the wrong way, just trying to point out that there's a big difference in generally who likes "technical" groups and who likes simple groups. #
    Seriously tho, you got me... I aint a musician.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

  20. #70
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    pittsburgh pa
    Posts
    105

    Default

    i worship ideas, not technique.

  21. #71
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    victoria, canada
    Posts
    3,514

    Default

    <i worship ideas, not technique.>

    It's a sad when a person lacks the technique to realize their idea

  22. #72
    once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Quote: It's a sad when a person lacks the technique to realize their idea



    Would it not be far more sad to have good technique - but a dirth of musical ideas? ANYONE (physical limitations withstanding) can develop technique with practice and persistence. Creativity with the music does not necessarily follow. #

    I become frustrated when my technique does not keep up with my ideas. Can play most of them on a keyboard - but transfer said idea to a fretboard of any kind and my technique will "encourage" me to simplify. #BUT - happiness can be found. Practice allows technique to improve daily. I don't know if the same can be said for creativity - it can be nurtured, expanded and changed but good musical ideas are far more elusive than good technique ( also far more subjective #)

    I hope my ideas continue to outpace my technique - if one can imagine a line or phrase that is difficult to play - practice takes care of the problem. What happens when one can't imagine anything they can't already play?

  23. #73
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Crossville, TN., U.S.A.
    Posts
    333

    Default

    I think music starts in the heart, goes to the head and comes out in the fingers.

  24. #74
    Registered User bjc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    SoNo Chesapeake, Va
    Posts
    1,252

    Default

    Oh Yeah man...I (barely) remember seeing Pantera, Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth back in the day!

    Now adays I have two indentities...the people who know me for playing country/folk/rock mandolin...and the people who know me as the crazy who plays electric guitar with his teeth....tee hee
    PeacE
    Brian

  25. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bluegrass Anonymous
    Posts
    186

    Default

    Hey Brian,
    I feel the same way. People have found the old bands I played with back in my rebellious life!!! and man oh man it was fun!

Similar Threads

  1. Metal fatigue
    By Bobbie Dier in forum Builders and Repair
    Replies: 39
    Last: Jul-23-2008, 9:36am
  2. We want a new national metal mando!
    By neangler in forum Equipment
    Replies: 15
    Last: Dec-03-2007, 11:47am
  3. Just got my Tyler Mt. metal OM
    By weymann1 in forum CBOM
    Replies: 3
    Last: Aug-25-2006, 2:37am
  4. When Metal Heads Get Old
    By bjc in forum General Mandolin Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last: Oct-27-2005, 3:37pm
  5. Metal plating
    By kvk in forum Builders and Repair
    Replies: 5
    Last: Oct-16-2004, 12:15am

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •