Thread: Howdy folks!

First off I would like to say what a really cool fourm! #I found the board this morning and have been here all day, reading, and learning. #Not only is the information awesome, but this just seems like a really friendly place, so I registered!

A little about me. #My name is Todd, and I am 46 years old. #I live in the "Redneck Riveria" *ahem*, that would be South Texas, in a little town North of Corpus Chirsti. #Yes, Texas does extend South of I10!
    #
    #I have played guitar off and on since I was a kid, acoustic as well as electric. #I have a very basic understanding of Theory, but I am learning more as I go.
    #The funny thing is, I am actually a drummer! # Yep, go figure, they let a drummer in...then again they didn't ask! #The drums are the only instrument, I have "gigged" with, meaning getting paid to play. #However I have jammed with many over the years on guitar as well.
    #As far as my "other" interests in music/production, I have built and run a small demo recording studio back in the early 90's in Houston. #I also built a PA system during this time, that I ran sound with on the Bar Scene in Houston. #At one point I was picked up to run FOH for a band on the Dancehall Circuit. (Large PA, as Dancehalls are big rooms)

The reason I am here...hmmm, well that's a funny story.

#My girlfriend has had possession of her Ex-husband's mando for over 2 years. #He never learned to play it, and never did anything with it. #Before anybody get's excited it's a "POS" he probably paid all of $70 for it. #I had been eyeballing it thinking I could at least learn a bit about the mando if it would stay in tune. #3 months ago I ask her to ask him if he still wanted it, he said "yeah". #Well this past weekend I helped move her to another house, and the mando was still there. #I told her, I am going to clean this up and put new strings on it. #If he wanted it back I would give it to him.
    #I went to the local shop in Georgetown and picked up some strings, and a book to get me going. #The book in question would be "Fretboard Road Maps Mandolin" By Fred Sokolow and Bob Applebaum. #I looked through the "recommended reading/study list", and did not see this book mentioned, so I am a little concerned. #It's all good though, I will get the books recommened in the threads for beginners.
    #
    #I am here to learn and make new friends. #I promise not to ask a question that has been done a million times, as I do know what a search button is for. (GRIN!) #It's just nice to find a cool place to talk about the mandolin...and it's many cousins...

Peace All!
    Todd

I have that Fretboard Roadmaps book. IMO, it's ok (it has a really cool version of Wayfaring Stranger), but there may be better stuff out there if you're just getting started.

I got alot out of Butch Baldassari's instruction when I first picked up the mando. Really gets you up and running quickly, without blowing your doors off.

And be warned. There is one MAJOR PROBLEM with this sight.

If you are an undisciplined joker like me, you may find yourself staring at the computer reading posts ABOUT mandolins instead of actually PLAYING your REAL mandolin.
    No...YOU stand back.

Hey chiledog! Welcome to the cafe. It is a really great place. Next time I head to Corpus (which won't be long with summer fast approaching), I'll give you a shout.
    Brian T. Walker
    Down beside the Alamo
    In the Lone Star State

"Ignorance is when you don't know something and somebody finds it out."
    -- Kenneth "Jethro" Burns

Blog Entries

Good to meet you, Chiledog. Enjoy the Cafe!
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Blog Entries

Welcome, Man. Have fun with that mando!

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Welcome Chiledog....
    I've got one daughter that played basketball for Texas A&M Kingsville and another that played for Rice University in Houston...So I'm real familliar with Joe Cotton"s in Robstown, and Goode Company in Houston...
    Love South Texas! BBQ
    Sounds like you may have already been bitten..the Cafe can be just as addictive as the mandolin. #Enjoy

Blog Entries

Welcome aboard. You will become addicted. Resistance is futile.

I have that Fretboard Roadmaps Mandolin book. It plugs in some gaps in my mandolin knowledge.

To tell you the truth, you already play guitar - once you know the open strings just spend time exploring. That would probably be better than any book. Being tuned in fifths the mandolin makes soooo much more sense than the guitar, (IMHO), and you will be delighted at every little discovery.

Any of several books will be good, once you have kind of scoped out the landscape on your own.

There is a lot of good stuff on the site here that will help you too.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Thanks for the warm welcome folks! #A pickin' buddy of mine showed up last night, and I actually jammed with him a bit with the mando! #I am really loving this instrument. #I am basically playing 2 finger chords in the first position to start with, just to get a feel for it. #

Thanks to the cafe I found out about the picking festival in Fayetteville, Texas on the 18, 19, and 20th of this month. #I am making plans to be there, as it just sounds like a lot of fun. #I will probably be in way over my head, but hey, that's the way you learn! #Hopefully I can meet some of you there.

Birdman, I hear ya, this site is just too cool!

Bryan, (Altair) #That would be cool, I would love to do some pickin' with ya! #Give me a shout when you head this way. Are you going to Pickin' in the Park?

Peace!
    Todd