Thread: Bach's partita #1, sarabande double

I'm about to start the Sarabande double, in 9/8 time. Do you use a dud dud pick strokes or just dudu? How about in the Dm gigue from partita #2?
    "Yeah, well, you know, that’s just, like, your opinion, man."

It depends. Click here as well as all the links linked there.

Thanks for the links. Although I wish there was a definite answer. I'll just have to experiment.

There probably are several cases of, if not definite, at least most likely to be most efficient. It requires a thoughtful play-through.

Violins and Mandolins Stephanie Reiser's Avatar

It will take experimenting, for sure.
    Marshall and Thile do a tune in 25/16 time on their last
    album that is worth checking out for pickstroke.
    http://www.stephaniereiser.com then click mandolins

Quote Originally Posted by (oflynny @ Mar. 15 2008, 08:08)
    Thanks for the links. Although I wish there was a definite answer. I'll just have to experiment.
    There is a short section in the Marilynn Mair book that she refers to as Bach picking. She also covers jig picking on the same page. There isn't much explanation, but there are a few examples to practice the pattern that she is demonstrating. Although it doesn't appear to work universally in the pieces you are working on, it is a good place to start. When I asked my wife how she would bow it, it was completely different than how I would approach it with a plectrum.

My belief is that there are two forces at work here. The first is how the pick stroke accentuates the music and getting the accents in the correct places, and the second is to develop patterns that are repeatable so that you eventually won't have to think about it. My solution was to shelve any piece that presents these challenges until I can work on them with an instructor. Since practice makes permanent, I basically chickened out.

Anyway, when my wife works on these pieces, she stops and works out the bowing and marks it out on the score she's trying to work out. I imagine she learned this through instruction so maybe the best course of action is to find an instructor to help lay a good foundation.
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

i'm currently working on the double as well and have been using dud dud dud picking. this works for me and my teacher aprooves.

i do believe that down-up down-up is your friend... though i may be mistaken... those are both fantastic pieces good choices
    If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone

Once again, no definite answer. I guess this is one of the challenges of playing violin music on mandolin, to use a pick instead of a bow. After numorous play throughs with both pick strokes, I'm still not sure which one is better.

From p. 64 of the MM book

"These execises, in 9/8 and 6/8, work on triple picking patterns. There are two main triple picking patterns, a straight alternation of down-up strokes, that I call 'Bach picking' (DDU DUD UDU), and the DUD DUD DUD pattern known as 'jig picking'.

A number of other patterns are used to facilitate string crossings, including a pattern that starts with a glide. Each pattern creates a different sound and each has its place in the exercises, so watch and listen for the changes."
    And now for today's weather....sunny, with a chance of legs

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe." - Abraham Lincoln

Also, note the triplet patterns employed by Leone in the method he published in the 1760s. Very nice.