Thread: Next step up from km-675

Greetings All!

I know this will bring many different opinions, I am ask in all seriousness. I own a Kentucky KM-675 as a beginner Mandolin.

In the future I plan on moving up to the next level in Mandolin, what Mandolin (F-style, bluegrass) would be the next level up and what can I expect in approximate price range.

This forum is great, I have been lurking for some time and I enjoy the whole atmosphere.

Thanks

I learned to play on a KM-675 (actually it was a step up from my Fender), and it kept me going for quite a while. #My step up was the best mandolin I could afford - or really the best I could hope for, my Phoenix Europa. #I would say the difference between a KM675 and another mid-price mandolin may not make much of a difference to you- if you like the Kentucky. #I'd play a bunch of instruments, find one that is your heart's desire within your budget, and THAT is your upgrade- there's no definitive price point, or model that is the "standard" upgrade (you want some names in F styles? Weber, Collings, Gibson F9, #used Flatiron - #or go for a custom build: Mowry, Pomeroy, BRW, Muth, Poe, Vessel, Kelley, Newell, etc.)

Wouldn't the next step be the KM-700? That's the way the line is laid out.
    Stephen Perry

Depends on what you call a step and what you are wanting to do with it.

I'd save up $3-5K and in the meantime shop around, play around, and find what you want. You should be able to get a decent A or F style in that price range new and/or used. Tons of excellent mandolins out there to buy and trade.
    Scot
    Bloomington, IN
    http://www.thebloomingtones.com/ (The Bloomingtones Website)
    The Bloomingtones MySpace Site (The Bloomingtones Website)

I would say you are looking at $1200-$1800 for something significantly better than the KM-675. Import-wise, look into the Eastman's or a KM-1000 which has nothing but the name in common with your KM-675.

Aside from that, you are mostly looking at Domestic brands which have their advantages, but cost a whole lot more.

Try to get something you will be satisfied with as your last, or at least, many years mandolin (this never works in practice). The KM-675 is plenty of mandolin to keep you busy until you get that ONE special instrument that you plan to keep.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Blog Entries

The KM1000 would certainly be on my list as a step (actually it may be on my list as an acquisition, I have a bead on a nice one!.) The Gibson F9, would be one that I would definately look at if I was looking for a LEAP! In fact, that could be the last stop for many folks. Those are MY first choices but there are so many great options from Weber, Collings, Eastman, Breedlove, and a mountain of smaller builders. The hardest part is getting your hands on these instruments to try a wide selection. Have fun...life is short!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/tenorbanjoguy

"Gettin' by" with the imports!