Page 51 of 71 FirstFirst ... 26474849505152535455 ... LastLast
Results 1,251 to 1,275 of 1757

Thread: Blue chip picks

Default Re: Blue chip picks

Ah, wouldn't you know it. Right after this post, my little plastic pack of picks with the blue chip has decided to hide from me. Maybe I offended the little bugger. Anyway, when I find it, I'll practice different grips with it. Time to start up the cross picking practice again. I'm thinking of asking for another Blue Chip for Christmas .... either the new Dawg style or the the TAD 50 or 60.

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    I also came from the D'Andrea Pro Plec triangle, and now use the TPR60, Loretta! I've found that I can finagle a number of grips on it while playing. It takes a little practice, but (for instance) I change it for cross-picking, and then back when I'm done.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Quote Originally Posted by Pikalot View Post
    I've visited your Myspace page and seen you play Jill... If a BC helps you play that well, they're worth it. Thumbs up. I'd like to have the tab for a couple of those reels.
    You are too kind! Let me know which reels and I can probably point you in the direction of some sources for tab for them. And on-topic, I do feel that when I switched to a Blue Chip it definitely enhanced my playing as regards speed and tone.

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

Jill,you make those triplets look effortless. I think it's a good idea to have a back-up BC. I've bought three of them,so far. Currently have none with which to pick. My old BC(sent in for polishing) and a new one should be in my hands sometime next week...I hope! I'm not good at polishing picks;and,yes,I'm lazy.

I've been trying to make-do with a DawgII,Dunlop 207,and various Wegens;but,they just seem to fight me compared to the BCs. I can't pick as "purdy"(thanks,Red) with any other picks.

Since I misplaced(lost) my TPR60,I've been using a "Long Hollow",leather pick carrier religiously. No more carrying a BC without a holster!

Quote Originally Posted by Jill McAuley View Post
    You are too kind! Let me know which reels and I can probably point you in the direction of some sources for tab for them. And on-topic, I do feel that when I switched to a Blue Chip it definitely enhanced my playing as regards speed and tone.

Cheers,
    Jill
    The Tarbolten, to start with, along with a tip or 2 on those triplets, and if possible, a history or the story of, the song. That is what I love the most about this music, the rich history and interesting stories they tell.

BTW, my BC arrived yesterday, and it's excellent. Fast, comfortable, durable. Is it worth 35? Considering the current cost of Melrin, I suppose so. I do think a volume discount would be good.... I'd gladly pay $100 for 4.

The Tarbolten, to start with, along with a tip or 2 on those triplets, and if possible, a history or the story of, the song. That is what I love the most about this music, the rich history and interesting stories they tell.
    Sending you a PM so that I don't derail the topic here..

Cheers,
    Jill
    2018 Girouard Concert oval A
    2015 JP "Whitechapel" tenor banjo
    2018 Frank Tate tenor guitar
    1969 Martin 00-18

my Youtube channel

I finally decided to give myself a BC for my birthday a couple days ago. I've only played wth it now for a couple days, but so far I'd agree with Jill's comment. It does seem easier with the BC to play cleanly at faster speeds, and also to hit those triplets. The BC definitely seems to slide through the string with less friction.

Got back my TAD60-3R from BC;and,also, a new TAD70-3R. The 70 is great for everything;excels at tremolo.

BTW, my BC arrived yesterday, and it's excellent. Fast, comfortable, durable. Is it worth 35? Considering the current cost of Melrin, I suppose so. I do think a volume discount would be good.... I'd gladly pay $100 for 4.
    At least a discount for Mandolin Cafe members as he gets a lot of free advertisement here!

Quote Originally Posted by ptritz View Post
    I finally decided to give myself a BC for my birthday a couple days ago. I've only played wth it now for a couple days, but so far I'd agree with Jill's comment. It does seem easier with the BC to play cleanly at faster speeds, and also to hit those triplets. The BC definitely seems to slide through the string with less friction.
    Agreed.

Had mine for about 3 weeks and it's certainly the best pick I've ever played with. I play between 1 and 3 hours a day, sometimes play pretty hard... And I'm amazed at this stuff, it looks as good as the day it came. I suppose a magnifying glass might show some slight wear, but hardly anything to the naked eye.

The speed bevels are a definite plus for me. After getting used to it, I'd say I'm picking about 10% faster. I tested this theory by trying my old delrin non-beveled pick and comparing with a metronome. Certainly a clear difference. Thumbs up. Well made pick, and the best material for picks ever. Would love to get my hands on a 6x6" 3mm thick piece of this stuff.

Might take some higher temps and pressure, but it looks like this stuff could be injection molded.Spitting out 10 raw picks at a time from a little I.M. machine could drive the price way down without sacrificing quality, as long as the molder has the restraint not to start stomping on it with too much regrind and weakening it.

Found my pick bag with the Blue Chip. The pick is definitely helping my speed. I, too, use Jill's playing as inspiration for not only triplets, but for how her playing is spirited, clean and just plain enjoyable.
    Just visiting.

1923 Gibson A jr Paddlehead mandolin
    Newish Muddy M-4 Mandolin
    New Deering Goodtime Special open back 17 Fret Tenor Banjo

Blog Entries

Just got an e-mail from Bluechip. They are offering free shipping for Christmas to their e-mail list. (I assume they will offer it to others but ask them.) The big news is that Jazz and TAD picks are now available in 80 and 100 sizes.
    George Wilson
    Weber Bighorn Mandolin
    ca. 1900 Clifford Mandolinetto
    Martin Guitars

i have been using my blue chip pick for about a year now. i use it on every instrument i play . i have found that it does not spin in my hand like other picks would as well i almost never drop it ,i can go a month never dropping my pick.

Smile Re: Blue chip picks

Quote Originally Posted by rico mando View Post
    i have been using my blue chip pick for about a year now. i use it on every instrument i play . i have found that it does not spin in my hand like other picks would as well i almost never drop it ,i can go a month never dropping my pick.
    Rico: Would you agree that it is probably safe to say that once you've picked, and picked with your BlueChip pick, you seldom need to pick it up off the floor?

Quote Originally Posted by GRW3 View Post
    Just got an e-mail from Bluechip. They are offering free shipping for Christmas to their e-mail list. (I assume they will offer it to others but ask them.) The big news is that Jazz and TAD picks are now available in 80 and 100 sizes.
    a pick this thick will suck all the tone right out of your mandolin... believe it. it will kill your mids, highs... i really can't imagine why any mandolinist would choose a pick thicker than a 60 gauge... just my two and a half centavos... i'm really happy with my CT55 with a normal bevel (custom order).

i lost my td40 at winfield. it may be at the campground in oxford if anyone would care to look for it. i was by the next to the last tree on the southeast corner next to the gravel road. it's probably somewhere in the grass. i actually thought it worked better for guitar. i have now gotten very comfortable using a pickboy 1mm with all the raised grip dots. when i think i've found the greatest pick in the world, something else always seems to come along. i've played fender, golden gate, dunlop, clayton, etc.. this has certainly been one long thread-and i really just wanted to keep it going.

I think Blue Chip should make a model with a built-in microchip (microbluechip?) -- sort of like those they put into cars or dogs -- so if you lose them you can contact your local police station and they can track it down.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Exclamation Re: Blue chip picks

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I think Blue Chip should make a model with a built-in microchip (microbluechip?) -- sort of like those they put into cars or dogs -- so if you lose them you can contact your local police station and they can track it down.
    Maybe an OnStar option?

You mean yours didn't come with a mirco chip???? I knew they had to cut the quality somewhere to keep from raising the price.

Joe

Regarding the thickness of the Bluechip pick and its ensuing "sucking" of the sound from your mandolin,all I can say is REALLY?

The last time I saw my 60 TAD-3R was at the Allman Brothers "Big House" in Macon,Georgia. If you find it,play with it,and like it,just keep it and pick on! I got to play Duane's gold-top Gibson that day. No wonder I sorta "lost it".

The Bluechip is the best In my opinion! I love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Skip Kelley View Post
    The Bluechip is the best In my opinion! I love it!!
    I agree, Skip. To quote that car ad from days gone by, "There is no substitute".

There are great picks no doubt
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cameron View Post
    Regarding the thickness of the Bluechip pick and its ensuing "sucking" of the sound from your mandolin,all I can say is REALLY?
    yeah, really! 80 gauge... 100 gauge? ridiculous! not a single pro player uses anything nearly that heavy. that said Mike, sound is in the ear of the listener so all is cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Glassweb View Post
    yeah, really! 80 gauge... 100 gauge? ridiculous! not a single pro player uses anything nearly that heavy. that said Mike, sound is in the ear of the listener so all is cool!
    I don't know how the BC sizes equate to thickness in mm, but there is a 3mm Big Stubby, some pretty fat Wegen models and then there are those stone picks that are extremely thick. That said, I just went lighter, from a 60 to a 40).