Default Re: Blue chip picks

Quote Originally Posted by ash89 View Post
    cool, no worries..

sorry, i'm a newbie re blog etiquette!!

cheers
    It's all good Bro!

I started your thread for ya!...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

If I hold a "polished" pick for more than 30 seconds, the slime from my thumb makes it very challenging to keep it where I want it to be. I always end up modifying an old heavy pick by heating a thumb tack with a lighter, and just barely poking it through to the other side (on both sides) so as to raise five or six sharp little bumps on the portion that I grip. Yes...slime...

Quote Originally Posted by lupus fennicus View Post
    If I hold a "polished" pick for more than 30 seconds, the slime from my thumb makes it very challenging to keep it where I want it to be. I always end up modifying an old heavy pick by heating a thumb tack with a lighter, and just barely poking it through to the other side (on both sides) so as to raise five or six sharp little bumps on the portion that I grip. Yes...slime...
    No, not slime...

Well, strictly speaking, in biology, "slime" generally refers to mucus (that's Latin for "slimy!") , which is a slippery natural lubricant full of glycoproteins (that is, proteins with carbohydrates attached). This mucus is produced by the mucous membranes, found in the linings of the respiratory system (which make phlegm and 'snot'), the gastrointestinal system, the genitalia (ahem!), and so on -- where it provides lubrication, as well as bestowing useful antibiotic properties. HOWEVER, human fingers don't have any mucous membranes -- only sweat glands. So they don't, and can't, exude slime. But the sweat they do produce can combine with any oils, dirt, and dead skin cells on your fingertips to form a lubricant, and thereby make a pick harder to hold. With most smooth-surfaced ("glassy") picks, though, many folks find that introducing a little moisture actually ADDS to the tacky feel and improves the grip. Some folks will even wet their fingertips lightly (or even lick them) to improve pick grip. But the trick here is NOT to have lots of oil, dirt/grease, or dead cells around beforehand on the fingertips, which can mix with the moisture to make something "slimy." And not to use too much liquid -- only the thinnest possible film. So my advice would be to wash your hands before ever picking up the pick, so that any subsequent moisture (due to sweating) will likely improve the grip, and not loosen it.

BlueChip picks are made from a special space-age plastic (Meldin, a polyimide) that was developed for such things as aerospace applications (e.g., thrust bearings in jet engines!). It can routinely be used up to 600 degrees F (!) and it won't melt until closer to 900 degrees F. Pretty impressive, for plastic! So there is little chance that your trick of heating up a thumb tack to push holes into the flat side of the pick will ever work to raise bumps in a BlueChip pick. You'd need to get a thumbtack red-hot for that! You'd be better off drilling small holes clear through it, if necessary (some folks have already done this, but take great care not to weaken or break the pick; the BlueChip website talks about this).

If simply washing your hands doesn't work, or is impractical, then there are commercial substances one can buy to improve pick grip, like Gorilla Snot (try searching on this; there are threads about it). Or just try peeling an orange or tangerine using your bare fingers before grabbing the pick: you'd be amazed how grippy the natural substances that come off onto your fingers are!
    Last edited by sblock; Dec-30-2013 at 8:34pm.

4. The following members say thank you to sblock for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cadger View Post
    Who is laughing at driving turtles to extinction? I never said that, and only a jerk would misrepresent what I wrote to imply that. Read the ACTUAL WORDS in the d*mned post. I never owned a shell pick in my life - how about you?

I am not criticising or denigrating the product. I know nothing about it except what is on the website, and will not be paying $35 to learn more.

I laugh because the concept of paying $35 for a pick strikes me as hilarious. That is my opinion. You are welcome to yours. You are welcome to buy what you like and I will not criticise you for it.

Wegen and Dunlop keep me picking just fine.
    -----like Gorilla Snot---I just discovered this stuff and I love it and use it every time I pick...I just have to be careful and not use too much...It sure makes it easier to use a relaxed grip without losing the pick...

I have already bought more than 35 dollars worth of dunlop picks and found them lacking when compared to the Blue Chip...I am waiting on my Wegen order to arrive, so that I can compare them...I hope they are the Blue Chips equal, just for the sake of competition...
    Last edited by ronwalker49; Dec-30-2013 at 8:16pm. Reason: To add something

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Cadger View Post
    I know nothing about it except what is on the website, and will not be paying $35 to learn more.

I laugh because the concept of paying $35 for a pick strikes me as hilarious..
    I find it kind of funny to consider spending many hundreds of dollars on a mandolin, sometimes a lot more, and then balk at a one time purchase of $35.oo

As you say, opinions. They're everywhere.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

7. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I would love to try one of these some day for speed, when they reach Israel.
    Durability doesn't really matter to me much - I usually end up losing picks, not breaking or polishing them to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Sevelos View Post
    .. I usually end up losing picks, not breaking or polishing them to death.
    J hope you get to try one soon, although we tend to polish them back to life, Sevelos!

Thought I would do my part extending this long thread. I ordered a CT55 this morning. I have used a JD Crowe BC pick for my banjo for several years. I had two of them, but lost one of them recently (arghhh). Can't imagine not liking a BC for my mandolin, as I don't want to use anything else for banjo picking!

Yea, I take my pick into the WC occasionally and wash it and my hands at the same time.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

it is amazing what a little soap and water can do for a pick. especially my ct55.

Incredible! My worship leader found a pick last Sunday and told friend of mine in the worship band. I texted a description and it was the CT55 I lost six months ago. I knew I lost it somewhere between the choir room and stage. I looked several times and never could find it. Now if she could find my rattlesnake rattle and I could find the one lost at home. It's the same color as my floors, just hasn't turned up yet. A scorpion must of got it!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Edwards View Post
    .. Now if she could find my rattlesnake rattle and I could find the one lost at home. It's the same color as my floors, just hasn't turned up yet. A scorpion must of got it!
    ..yeah, must of..

Quote Originally Posted by Skittle View Post
    I have used all kinds of picks, original shells, Tortis, and other composites of materials...........but these new Blue Chips are extrodinary and outstanding in tone, playability and speed. Call Matthew Goins at 865-803-9442 or check out his website at www.bluechippick.net. Danny Roberts that plays with the Grascals, absolutely loves them and Paul Williams is using them. These things show hardly no wear after a long period of use.
    If this new pick will enable me to sound like Danny Roberts I have to have one !!!!

A friend and I have a running joke whenever discussing pricey gear. After touting attributes,new say, oh,and it will make you a better player.....
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1

Quote Originally Posted by yankees1 View Post
    If this new pick will enable me to sound like Danny Roberts I have to have one !!!!
    Just play one note. shouldn't be too hard
    Not all the clams are at the beach

Arrow Manouche
    Arrow Jazzbo
    Arrow G
    Clark 2 point
    Gibson F5L
    Gibson A-4
    Ratliff CountryBoy A

Hi guys, for those using the Blue Chip CT 55 pick for quite some time, did you go for the 'Speed bevel' or the 'rounded bevel'?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mechanicallazarus View Post
    Hi guys, for those using the Blue Chip CT 55 pick for quite some time, did you go for the 'Speed bevel' or the 'rounded bevel'?

Thanks!
    I have a CT55 speed bevel but I prefer the TAD45.
    Last edited by yankees1; Sep-01-2019 at 11:08am.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Thanks!
    I've always found the speed bevel to work better for me.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Exclamation Re: Blue chip picks

Buying 2nd hand, resolved that question . But, as i have often used the tailpiece cover as an arm rest ,

the bevel is not aligned as needed, but its there.. rounded edge is neutral

Forearm well around the top portion of the rim, where your arm rests get fitted, then the bevel comes into play..

. '/,
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Thank you for taking the time to respond guys. I'm going for a CT55 Speed bevel and a Tad50-3R. Whichever I don't enjoy the most I'll give to my gf.

Unfortunately there aren't any to test drive here in Australia! (which with the $15 shipping, made sense to order two). Thanks again.

Mechanicallazarus:

I have found the TAD50-1R to be quite good, myself. It allows me to have both a rounded and a pointed tip. Mr. Goins would likely set one up with a speed bevel for you.

FWIW. I also have a CT55. I keep it in my wallet as a go to when trying out an instrument away from home.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Thanks!
    If you go to festival/jam/workshop, there should be enough BC's you can try for yourself, and I think one of the traveling pick samplers has at least 1 (that thread is getting loooong https://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/t...erested/page36

I tried both, felt no difference. That's when i realized i hold the pick so it's tilted w/side towards fretboard higher. I do this playing guitar and mandolin w/different grips. (I guess the extreme form of this is what you could call George Benson picking)
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Br1ck View Post
    A friend and I have a running joke whenever discussing pricey gear. After touting attributes,new say, oh,and it will make you a better player.....

Yea it is easier to get good gear than to get good at playing it.

That, however, is no reason to avoid getting good gear. None at all. Get what you want, just don't fool your self that the purchase serves some higher purpose.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

26. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Couldn't resist bumping this thread, the granddaddy of the BC threads. I've got a TAD 40 on the way, adding to my TAD 60 and CT55. Used to have a TAD 80, and a TAD 100. That thing was a monster, definitely not for every mandolin or every player.

Still love BCs, and love reading threads about 'em almost as much.

28. The following members say thank you to Franc Homier Lieu for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Homier Lieu View Post
    Couldn't resist bumping this thread, the granddaddy of the BC threads. I've got a TAD 40 on the way, adding to my TAD 60 and CT55. Used to have a TAD 80, and a TAD 100. That thing was a monster, definitely not for every mandolin or every player.

Still love BCs, and love reading threads about 'em almost as much.
    I love my TAD 40 and 45, I’m seeking a TAD 35, i think it might be my holy grail!
    2007 Weber Custom Elite "old wood"
    2017 Ratliff R5 Custom #1148
    Several nice old Fiddles
    2007 Martin 000-15S 12 fret Auditorium-slot head
    Deering Classic Open Back
    Too many microphones

BridgerCreekBoys.com