Page 5 of 71 FirstFirst 1234567893055 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue chip picks

Two quick notes:

I added a small circle of self-stick sandpaper to each side of my Blue Chip, which adds thickness and grip. I have long added one such pad to my other picks, so the need for it is probably more particular to my needs than to the design of the pick.

Second, I spoke with the manufacturer this week and encouraged him to try a 60/1000's thick triangle aimed especially at mandolin pickers. We'll see if that comes through. He said that guitarists are favoring the thinner picks...
    Passernig #42

I do wonder what a thicker pick would sound like of that same material.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Thumbs up

I have the TP-50 "tri-tip" Bluechip which is a 1.14mm pick. I'm sold on it. It produces the best tone of any pick I have ever used, including real TS. A friend of mine who has played my bluechip agrees. He put a speed bevel on one corner and (according to my friend who has the pick currently) the speed improved 2-3 times as fast and the note separation and clarity was fantastic. I haven't played it with the improved bevel yet. He used 400 grit Wet/Dry paper, followed by 600 grit and 1000 grit for polishing.

Like many here, I had my doubts about the pick replacing real TS when I first played it, but after a week I figured out that you have to relax your grip on the pick and let it do some of the work. My friend was fighting it somewhat as well. I got him to relax and things started to improve. Now, the more we play it, the more we like it. It just keeps growing on you. #The Bluechip does take a bit of acclimatization before you really start understanding what it's all about.

IMHO the Blue Chip Pick produces a more even response tonally across the strings. With a speed bevel, my friend says it it faster than any pick he has ever played. It was pretty darn quick before putting the bevel on to beging with! It produces a lot of volume and a warm, rich tone with good balance from low to high. I am truly impressed with this pick! I've talked by phone with the maker and I'm impressed with him as well. He told me how the pick came about. It was basically an accident. The materiel is EXTREMELY expensive and the problem was how to make enough picks out of the block materiel and control the waste involved to get the price down to where the picks would sell and still make a reasonable profit. He has several years and many thousands of dollars involved in developing the process to produce these picks. (it is patented by the way). Yeah, you could buy the materiel (which only comes in one color and one size) and carve your own picks out of it, but you are going to loose your posterior in the process. The end result would be a REAlLY, REALLY, REALLY expensive pick.

Tone is something very subjective to discuss. What floats my boat may not be what you are looking for. If you are happy with your current picks, more power to you------but if you are one that thinks that the plectrae have a great bearing on tone production (or the lack of it) you owe it to youreself to try the Blue Chip.

I don't believe in gimmiks and miracle dealies as a rule. Yes, there are people out there who will make grandiose claims about their product to entice you to purchase it. Matthew Goins is NOT of that ilk. I've tried his pick. I've listened to another play with his pick. We A-B'd the Bluechip with TS, Wegen, Red Bear and several others using several good guitars, several BlueRidge's and my '42 D-28 Bone. #They are all good picks but--------The Blue Chip was WITHOUT A DOUBT the best in our opinion. It floats my boat--and I give it my highest recommendation. I have no financial or other interest in Blue Chip Picks except than I love the tone, balance and volume it pulls from my guitar.

Yes, Martha, there is a Santy Claus, and Blue Chip Picks are better than Real TS. Again, IMHO. # AND----THEY ARE LEGAL!!!!! #

Blog Entries

Well I've used the real turtle for years. I ordered one of these tonight. Hope it lives up to the hype. At my age and stiffness of the fingers, hands, arms, etc. I need all the help I can get with speed.

It isn’t hype. I’m stunned by this pick.

There are some excellent comments here about the Blue Chip. Here’s my story –

I play an Ellis F5. I have used different picks over time. An old TS, Wegens, etc. Very old Fender guitar picks, using the rounded edge, have given me the best results for my playing style. We’re talking 20 year old picks, strangely enough. Still, there has been something missing with all of the picks in one aspect or another.

Four things I look for from a pick are –
    Power – A satisfactory transfer of energy from your arm and wrist that is not lost through the pick.
    Articulation – The pick has to be fast and stout enough to bring out the definition of the notes.
    Tone – No surprise here. We’re all looking for a pick that will draw the best tones out of the wood, as possible.
    Quiet – Keep the clicky-clack to a minimum. Good technique is the key to this of course, but poor pick material can make a mando sound like your playing with metal finger picks.

I’m using the TD40 and TPR40. These picks meet all of the criteria that I’ve been looking for and more. I find the pick to be easily held in place and can vary my grip as needed for soft to loud playing. The TD40, turned on it’s rounded edge, delivers a crisp note. The TPR40 is seriously smooth and delivers a thick note. (An outstanding pick for comping and chops.) This composite material feels like liquid across the strings. The drag or friction that you’ve come to expect from a pick is gone. Unreal.

I don’t want to over talk this. I feel everyone should get a hold of Matthew and buy one of the picks from his catalog. Matthew is really great to talk with and good person.
    I’ve got to tell you, it’s an unusual feeling to know that my pick search is over. After all the picks I’ve gone through, I’m quite astonished.

I hope you find this info useful and that you will be as pleased as I am. Cheers!

Jaimo, sorry to stray from the blue chips but what number Ellis do you have?
    PJ
    Stanley V5

The rate picks are going, they'll soon be numbered....

I'm still holding out for the pick that plays ONLY the right notes. And I'd pay dearly for it.

Michael McPeek

Quote Originally Posted by (pjlama @ Mar. 30 2008, 02:08)
    Jaimo, sorry to stray from the blue chips but what number Ellis do you have?
    #85. I see that you own #100. I remember that mando. Beautiful!

Just re-read my post above. I don't normally gush about equipment, but I was really surprised and pleased by the blue chip. I know opinions vary, like playing techniques, and some will stick with their tried and true picks. That's cool.
    But I think it's worth it to give it a try. This really works for me, no joke.

I know it's obvious but I'll state it anyway. I'm not associated with blue chip in any way outside of being a customer.

I think I'll wait for awhile before considering one of these picks. Right now I have a Red Bear Tri-Tip, RB Mando, Wegen M150, Wegen TF-140 and a real tortis pick (sea turtle made from an antique hair brush).

They all have #different tones and I change from time to time, liking one than changing because I like the sound of another. I like the Wegen TF-140 for bluegrass on a f-hole mando, yet I like the RB Tri-Tip for #OT on an oval-hole. #For several years I just used the Wegan M150 but as I started to get into Bluegrass, I like the large wedge shape and holes drilled in the Wegen TF-140 because I get a better grip on it in a jam situation when we sometimes play at the speed of light.

The reason I think I'll wait for the Bluechip is that I foresee more shapes, sizes, guages, speed-bevels, drilled with holes, etc. come out. If I'm spending $35 for a pick, I would prefer it be like the Wegen TF-140 and I don't want to try to customize it myself at such a price

Glenn Nelson
    Las Vegas, NV

"Every day brings a chance for you to draw in a breath, kick off your shoes and play your mandolin."

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

I got an email from Matthew this morning confirming that there would be 1.5 mm picks produced in the future.

Phil
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Quote Originally Posted by (Philphool @ Mar. 30 2008, 15:07)
    I got an email from Matthew this morning confirming that there would be 1.5 mm picks produced in the future.

Phil
    THATS when I'd buy one.

once upon a time, drmole Joel Spaulding's Avatar
    not too far from Rosine; formerly and always a Yankee Highlander from Vermont

ditto

Me three.
    Jason

"Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn’t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn’t know that so it goes on flying anyway."

Newell A5 #37, Glenn F5 #66, Eastman 615 #537,

Blog Entries

To those of you who have ordered one, how long did it take to get it?

It was pretty quick when shipped. He was finishing up a batch and shipped a few out about 2 days after I talked to him. I guess it depends on if he has some stocked built up. As good as they are, your wait time may increase.
    1.5mm hmm, sounds toneful to me, add a speed bevel and about 5 holes around the center, just about the standard TP size and that should make for one powerful pick.

"Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

I guess I had better get in on this being that I have been using this pick ever since the first day I got it in my hands.
    I got mine when I met Matthew at the fall homecomming in Norris TN. the second week of October and I will say I love it!!!
    I would say that over the years I have tried about every pick that has come down the pike and usually just toss them aside and go back to my dunlop or shell picks but when I tried the Blue Chip I haven't wanted to play anything else, they have a super quick release, they are easy to hold on to, the tone is second to none and the one I am using has not worn at all, I usually wear out the Dunlop picks I had been using about every three or four shows.
    I highly recommend these picks, I will be suprised if anybody gets one don't love it.

Dannt
    Gibson Original Acoustic Instruments
    http://www.gibson.com/products/oai/mandolins/

Thumbs up

I've been using the same exact TS pick for 2 yrs(old faithful) until a few weeks ago when I got 2 Blue Chip picks in the mail. shortly after a chat with Matthew Goins I had the TP50 and the TPR50 in front of me, I noticed right away that the picks had a "non slip surface" to the touch but was super fast on the strings. It's warm and smooth but is also clear punchy,when needed. And did I say smooth! It has absolutly no pick noise! It enhances your tone on stage and will improve your chop.
    I took it in the studio to finish up some overdubbs on the new Lost and Found record and It did Great. I know I'll be using it ont the new Marty Raybon record as well. Lets just put it this way I have a new (old Faithful)
    # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #Scott Napier.
    [QUOTE]"chop chop"

*Sigh*

Okay, okay... When the 1.5 mm version comes out I'll try one.

so can you get a tri-pick, and that thickness does everyone like.

Expensive picks are like expensive sunglasses. You can get by with the ones in the Supermarket but those Maui Jim's are just incredible. Either can be lost just as easily.

I am a sucker for both (expensive sunglasses and expensive picks). Just ordered my first Blue Chip pick (TPR50). We'll see if it out does the Wegen's.

Patrick
    "The majority of people are not so afraid of holding a wrong opinion as they are of holding an opinion alone."
    - Soren Kierkegaard

I would try a TP65, 1.5mm when if they had one. I've been sold on Wegens for the last year or so.

Bud
    Bud Martin
    http://www.mrbbluegrass.com
    Kimble A5
    Kimble F5
    Gibson F4
    Old Wave F5

well I just ordered the tp40 and tp50, thats a lot, but if they work they are cheap. I will add my 2cents when they arrive. I hope they are better than the wheel

Anyone from UK ordered yet? How much is P&P/shipping?

Blog Entries

Ok I just got my Blue Chip 50 today.First of all let me say that I've always used tortise that I've had for many years. But after trying this BC 50 I venture to say that I'll never use tortise again. This pick is outstanding in everyway, grips easy, outstanding tone as good as my beloved tortise, plays easy and fast, and all of this without any pick click whatsoever. This pick is not as thick as the ones I've always used, but it is STIFF just like a like them to be. I highly recommend the Blue-Chip pick. To me it is worth the $35, and I'll be ordering a couple more in case I do lose one. But I ain't lost a pick in a very long time, so maybe my luck will hold out.

Wow, I wonder how many sales the blue chip folks will get from this thread?