Page 4 of 71 FirstFirst 123456782954 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue chip picks

thats like spending 65g on my new porsche and putting regular gas in it.

Quote Originally Posted by (dmamlep @ Mar. 22 2008, 10:44)
    thats like spending 65g on my new porsche and putting regular gas in it.
    That only holds true if you take it as read that the expensive picks are going to be hugely better than less expensive ones.

Is a Wegen "regular" gas? I love them, as do many Cafe users, but I don't think they are "better" than the Dunlop Ultex, just different. Ultex triangles give accuracy and definition while the thick, more rounded Wegens give chunky warmth.

<So I got my Blue "brown" Chip pick(s) tonight.>

I thought it was odd that they're brown and not blue, but I can sure see why they didn't call them "Brown Chip" picks.

<I don't get it. Many on this site won't bat an eye at dropping three or four grand at buying a mandolin, but draw the line at $35.00 picks. Mama-mia. I just don't get it.>

I don't think it's the money, per se. At least it isn't with me. I'd spend $35 on one if it were really "all that". Trouble is buying one on spec. It could turn out to be, as a lot of picks I've ordered sight unseen, completely worthless to me.

Quote Originally Posted by
    I don't get it. Many on this site won't bat an eye at dropping three or four grand at buying a mandolin, but draw the line at $35.00 picks. Mama-mia. I just don't get it.
    Let me see if I can clear it up for you. Three or four grand (or even more) is worth it for a great mandolin, especially since it represents many, many hours of a skilled luthier's time and great mandolins sound a whole lot better than cheap ones. IMHO, a square inch of plastic is not worth $35, since it represents a nano-second of effort stamping it out of a sheet of plastic and in my experience has a marginal impact on tone or playability over a 35 cent pick. The "All Picks Are CNC machined, laser etched and held to a very tight tolerance. Each one is beveled and polished by hand." and the "Made from a very high grade self lubricating special formulated composite material. Better tone and response than tortoise shell and Blue Chip Picks require no polishing." sound like marketing hype to me. I believe that if PT Barnum were alive today, he would be selling accessories to musicians, rather than creating circus sideshows!

I love the story Mike Compton tells about Bill Monroe. Bill flew into a town to teach a workshop, but realized he didn't bring a pick with him. The friend who drove him from the airport found an old, cheapo pick buried in the seat cushions of his car. Later, at one point in the workshop, someone asked Monroe what kind of picks he used. With great drama, he held up that pick and said, "I use THESE!" I can only imagine the workshop participants went straight to thier local music store in search of those picks afterwards. I think of that story every time someone starts crowing about $35 picks.

Pricing bears almost no relationship to manufacturing costs for many products these days. #Designer clothing made for 5 dollars per garment in a Far East sweatshop flies off the racks at 99 dollars retail. #Pricing is based on what people are conditioned to pay and people will pay big prices for what is perceived to be a premium product.

So, will I buy one? #Well I 've bought quite a range of picks and the difference that they make in tone and volume is incredible. #It is possible that this pick might be the best for me, given my instrument, setup and style of playing. #However my current favourite by a large margin is a Wegen M140. #I've just paid 20 dollars for the closest Red Bear equivalent and found that to be really disappointing. #I probably will try a Blue Chip at some point, but not right now.
    Kimble F5 #145
    Lebeda A4 Premium

My current favorites are the Wegen TF 140 and the Tortis (mike compton version). I went ahead and ordered a Blue Chip to check it out. I try out most picks that people recommend just to see what I think. I keep coming back to the Wegen and Tortis.

I received the Blue Chip on Sat. First impression, I like it alot. It seems to produce a little louder and richer tone than the tortis. Somewhere between the Wegen and Tortis in terms of brightness of tone. Smooth like the Tortis (less grabby than the Wegen) on the strings. I'm trying to work on a very loose pick grip and have come to like the holes drilled through like on the Wegen and Tortis versions I'm using. Even without holes drilled thorugh it, the Blue Chip seems very secure in a loose grip.

Need more time with it, but it may become my new favorite.

As for price, the $35 didn't really factor into my decision much. Will this make me a better player or make me sound like Mr Monroe? Doubtful. Nevertheless, I don't tend to hesitate to drop small $ on accessories to play with.
    Don

If they never wear out, you almost have to charge that much. The only reason to buy another one is if you're like me and constantly lose one.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Wow....lotta controversy here...and right when I was about to debut my new line called "Picklooter's" at $150.00 a pop. Guarantee'd to make ya sound way better, able to emulate all other pick's tone, feel and shape! With the new built-in GPS system ya can never loose one either. For a extra 50 bucks you lazy folks can have a homing device installed that returns it to your right front pocket, even in a crowded jam or bar! A left handed model is in the works but unavailable at this time due to software problems. Other details and ordering info to be posted soon, start saving now folks...your plectrum problems and worries are over!!!!!!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

Out of curiosity I went searching for woodwind reeds and found that you can easily pay up to $70.00 for one top of the line alto saxophone reed.

I'll be ordering one of the Blue Chip picks to check out, but I hope I don't like them. I say that because I need to have 3 to 5 of the same pick handy or I get anxious.

PAS (pick acquisition syndrome) soon we'll be say thing like, "I hate to part with these, but I've got to sell a few Wegens and Red Bears in order to buy the latest 'such and such' pick". this part is just a joke, please.

BTW all my picks are man made materials, except for a few turtle picks I have found in old guitar cases over the years.

Peace,
    Jim
    Richmond, VA
    Jim Jenigen
    Baggin Maggies
    Richmond, VA

"Trying to get to heaven before they close the door". Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by (mandolooter @ Mar. 23 2008, 10:34)
    Wow....lotta controversy here...and right when I was about to debut my new line called "Picklooter's" at $150.00 a pop. Guarantee'd to make ya sound way better, able to emulate all other pick's tone, feel and shape! With the new built-in GPS system ya can never loose one either. For a extra 50 bucks you lazy folks can have a homing device installed that returns it to your right front pocket, even in a crowded jam or bar! #A left handed model is in the works but unavailable at this time due to software problems. Other details and ordering info to be posted soon, start saving now folks...your plectrum problems and worries are over!!!!!!
    I'll take three with the GPS option.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"

Quote Originally Posted by (jflynnstl @ Mar. 22 2008, 17:53)
    Quote Originally Posted by
    I don't get it. Many on this site won't bat an eye at dropping three or four grand at buying a mandolin, but draw the line at $35.00 picks. Mama-mia. I just don't get it.
    Let me see if I can clear it up for you. Three or four grand (or even more) is worth it for a great mandolin, especially since it represents many, many hours of a skilled luthier's time and great mandolins sound a whole lot better than cheap ones. IMHO, a square inch of plastic is not worth $35, since it represents a nano-second of effort stamping it out of a sheet of plastic and in my experience has a marginal impact on tone or playability over a 35 cent pick. The "All Picks Are CNC machined, laser etched and held to a very tight tolerance. Each one is beveled and polished by hand." and the "Made from a very high grade self lubricating special formulated composite material. Better tone and response than tortoise shell and Blue Chip Picks require no polishing." sound like marketing hype to me. I believe that if PT Barnum were alive today, he would be selling accessories to musicians, rather than creating circus sideshows!

I love the story Mike Compton tells about Bill Monroe. Bill flew into a town to teach a workshop, but realized he didn't bring a pick with him. The friend who drove him from the airport found an old, cheapo pick buried in the seat cushions of his car. Later, at one point in the workshop, someone asked Monroe what kind of picks he used. With great drama, he held up that pick and said, "I use THESE!" I can only imagine the workshop participants went straight to thier local music store in search of those picks afterwards. I think of that story every time someone starts crowing about $35 picks.
    If you can't tell the difference, don't bother. Some people can't tell the difference between a junk mandolin and a great one. Some great players prefer crusty old strings and won't replace them until they break.

As for me, I can tell a big difference between different kinds of picks.
    Passernig #42

So for those of you with the Blue Chip pic. Does it play faster than the Wegen? The Wegen seems to bight down or pull on the string a little and can not be as smooth as I would like. But I do like the bright sound of the Wegen.???

Quote Originally Posted by (mandoboy07 @ Mar. 23 2008, 12:43)
    So for those of you with the Blue Chip pic. Does it play faster than the Wegen? The Wegen seems to bight down or pull on the string a little and can not be as smooth as I would like. But I do like the bright sound of the Wegen.???
    As I mentioned in my review above, it does not grab at the strings like the Wegen - much smoother on the strings like the tortis. I also mentioned the tone. I little brighter than the tortis, but probably not quite as bright as the wegen.

As I mentioned in my review above, it does not grab at the strings like the Wegen - much smoother on the strings like the tortis. I also mentioned the tone. I little brighter than the tortis, but probably not quite as bright as the wegen.[QUOTE]

Well might just have to give it a try. Thanks.

Well ... I've been stuck on the Wegen M150. Love that dawg/rounded shape... been pretty happy with that pick but decided to try the Red Bear "E" style after a thread with alot of hype about them. Just got it a couple of days ago. I do like it ...did the tone comparison thing . Found that the Tortis is a little warmer sounding... not quit as bright as the Wegen. I still like the Wegen but I'm not sorry I got Red Bear. Now we got the Blue Chip pick. Deep down one of these days I know I've got to try one. Guess I got a bad case of "PAS"
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Don's got it right, it's in between a Wegen and Red Bear. I think it's a bit smoother sounding than the red bear and I like the durability opposed to the red bear.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

Got mine today. I like it. It has a natural tackiness that I appreciate. After having a Red Bear ruined going through the laundry, I appreciate it's durability. I don't like the price, but considering that two or three of them might last several years is nice.

FWIW mine is the thicker triangle. It does all the tonal things right. It's a little better on the low end than the high, but I've got brand new strings so time will tell.
    Passernig #42

ill take a homing pick if i can get it to appear in my left pocket. thats my pick pocket and would want to have to change my ways. hope this can be worked out.
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

so don't leave us all hanging. lay one of those suckers down and take a picture with it, on the table next to a few now inferior, previously satisfactory, ones..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

So far...

PROS: No fear of breakage (unlike Red Bears), feels good, speedy. Very loud--imparts a ton of energy to the string.

CONS: Tone isn't up to Red Bear/Tortis standard. I'd prefer it a bit thicker and heavier.
    Passernig #42

Tip, take one tip of the pick and add a speed bevel to both sides and polish up nicely, you'll be amazed at the sound, or .... I was.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

Quote Originally Posted by (Kevin K @ Mar. 25 2008, 08:42)
    Tip, take one tip of the pick and add a speed bevel to both sides and polish up nicely, you'll be amazed at the sound, or .... I was.
    Interesting. Will sandpaper work?

I find two things about my Blue Chip to be kind of fascinating:

1. Of all the picks I have, it is the most tonally sensitive to the angle of attack on the string. I suspect that is due to the thinness of the material. Maybe that speed bevel will work. As is, the thinness is what I'm struggling to adjust to.

2. I mentioned earlier that the pick seems to impart more energy to the strings than any I've tried. This is really remarkable to me. The strings just really seem to bark and sing LOUD. It's to the point where I may have to raise my action or use J75's instead of 74's due to string rattle on the wound pairs. I've never gotten more volume from less effort. That's a big advantage if it allows me to relax my right hand even more....but the thinness of the pick has me pinching it a little. Always a balance.
    Passernig #42

I'm with you on the thickness, I'm used to a Wegen which is a little thicker and find myself pinching more with the bluechip. Guess practice makes perfect and before long, hopefully it'll feel natural.
    Again I too find this pick to pull more energy - volume and tone more than anything else I've tried. If you drop the pick on a hard flat surface there's a familiar sound (like tortoise).
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

I'm excited at the possibilities for the new Blue Chip Pick. I have used most every type & brand of pick over the past 35 years and this is the best I've found. Being comfortably priced between the best synthetic and the average tortoise I find it to be an excellent value. I've found the Blue Chip Pick to have excellent playing characteristics and exceptional resistance to wear. I highly recommend this product for any serious player, especially professionals. Just try it and you'll see!