Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 12345672853 ... LastLast

Thread: Blue chip picks

that's not much more than my red bear, with shipping. and I dont even like it. and if it doesn't wear out, then I will try one. just dont lose it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by (Steve G @ Mar. 19 2008, 12:57)
    Gas is $4 a gallon and picks are $35 each. Get over it.
    And people will wrinkle their nose and voice opinions over $35 picks. Get over it.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

Meh...I also love my Wegen.

What is the deal with this thing being self-lubricating? I'm not sure I'd like that. I may be playing in a jam when all of a sudden the pick decides to lubricate itself, thus flying out of my hand and perhaps causing serious harm to anyone nearby. Sounds dangerous to me. Sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen. Myabe this is why they cost so much. Perhaps it's the retainer fees for the bevy of lawyers necessary to keep these super-picks on the market.

(sorry...cuoldn't help it. This thread has had it's share of funny posts and I just had to get mine in )

Quote Originally Posted by (The_Big_Crunch @ Mar. 19 2008, 18:21)
    ...This thread has had it's share of funny posts...
    LOL

And some touchy and defensive ones.

It's been entertaining so far.

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (pickloser @ Mar. 18 2008, 10:45)
    Turtles are safe from me. #So is this pick. #See user name.
    Dude...I love that name "pickloser" I'm gonna start calling my wife that. She's by far the worst I've ever seen. Take the other night...Were on stage, just finished a song, we didnt break or anything, the keyboard playing was tellin a short (and I mean short story) and we get ready to play the next song and she looks over at me and sez "I cant find my pick!" She dint drop it..she dint set it down, she was just standing there listening to the story and lost a pick. I looked around on the floor and later I checked Inside her geetar and she really did just lose it. Its a good thin I keep around 10 of her picks in my pocket whenever we play.

A loving husband knows how to care for his wife.
    Bet she loves you for it.
    Eric Hanson
    Click #016/ Born on 2/29/08 - Sold to the next Conservator of this great mandolin!
    The search has ceased! (At least for now)
    Collings A-Style
    White #29R : Oh my!! This one is so AWESOME!!

Blog Entries

I think there is a picklosing gene. #I hate to further stereotypes, but maybe it's a woman thing, as I am one. #The good news is that, at least at home, if you lose enough picks in enough places, you can almost always find one somewhere. #I call this the "saturation method" of pick storage. #
    Laura

Quote Originally Posted by (pickloser @ Mar. 20 2008, 08:26)
    I think there is a picklosing gene...
    And I think I have it.

Actually I am losing fewer now as I always leave my current pick wedged in my mando strings now instead of putting it in my pocket. Also, I keep all the others in my mando case and only ever have one out at a time - or maybe 2 at a gig.

But over the years... Oy... I've lost hundreds.

I think someone posted the incorrect thicknesses. They are either 1.0 mm or 1.14 mm thick. Just ordered a 1.14 in the TP shape. I like both Wegen and Red Bear, so I'll let you know how these compare.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by (flattop @ Mar. 20 2008, 06:36)
    Quote Originally Posted by (pickloser @ Mar. 20 2008, 08:26)
    I think there is a picklosing gene...
    And I think I have it...
    Me too: I usually keep the one I favor at any given time tucked in the strings of my mandolin, but the other day I pulled it out and left it on the dining room table, and when I went back to look for it, it was nowhere to be found -- and I was the only one in the house the entire time. #

(Or maybe instead of genetics, lost picks simply end up in that same parallel universe that plucks half-pair of socks from clothes dryers.)

"The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Blog Entries

I wonder if the one one-sock-wearing, plectrum-hoarding being in the parallel universe will like the Blue Chip picks. They love Jazztone 207s.

I just bought one although I have been strung out on the the wegen trimus 250 for some time now. #Will see how it compares. #I own every pick under the sun and I feel that pick choice affects tone more than string choice by far. #Anyway after putting as much dough into instruments as I have I might as well own a $35 pick.

It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

I'm looking forward to the reviews from those who took the plunge. One thing I noticed is that they aren't very thick. I'm used to using 2mm and up. If they're super-stiff, I guess 1.14 could be alright.

<I own every pick under the sun and I feel that pick choice affects tone more than string choice by far.>

Agreed. And I also own every pick under the sun. Hey Goose, what's the worst pick you've ever bought? I have an aluminum one that would be my offering. What was I thinking?

Thumbs up

Im still using my Blue Chip 50 now for over a month everyday playing about an hour or two and ........no wear at all. Extremely happy customer!!!!!

Worst pick? I bought some horn material picks that kinda crumbled when I played it. Its kinda funny that picks I thought were terrible 10 years ago I can now make sound pretty descent. In fact, I would like to modify my above post by saying that a developed right hand is more important as far as tone goes than picks or strings by far. But the right pick sure can help your right hand pull the tone.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Skittle @ Mar. 20 2008, 21:40)
    Im still using my Blue Chip 50 now for over a month everyday playing about an hour or two and ........no wear at all.
    ================================================
    Do most of you wear out picks a lot? I play for several hours every day and have for years, both mando & guitar.
    I can't remember EVER discarding a pick because it was too worn. I don't think I've even been tempted to polish a pick with sandpager "because of wear" more than once or twice.

Am I just a super light picker???

Phil
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

It all depends on how you play....soft, hard,...etc. Every single player is different. I was making a statement that these Blue Chip picks are fantasic and I am very happy with mine, whither someone buys one and likes it or doesn't like it is not my concern.....Im just happy with mine and will continue to use it.

Someone write me up for BUI--Browsing Under the Influence. I came home from a show last night, read this thread, and ordered a triangle-shaped Blue Chip from that site.

$41 for a pick, shipped. This 'un better be good!!
    Passernig #42

Quote Originally Posted by (pickloser @ Mar. 20 2008, 13:01)
    I wonder if the one one-sock-wearing, plectrum-hoarding beings in the parallel universe will like the Blue Chip picks. #They love Jazztone 207s.
    Apparently they're contented; they keep sending us wire coat hangers in exchange.

But, seriously, folks (tell your friends, I'll be here all weekend) -- I've been using <$1 Dunlop Tortex orange picks forever. #I just have this instinctive skepticism that there's enough mojo in a $35 pick to propel me to the next level of semi-competence. #Not a criticism of those who feel differently, but somehow my thoughts keep turning to the "magic feather" in Disney's Dumbo cartoon. #Maybe it makes that much difference, or even more. #I don't know, and, as the kangaroo said to the bartender, "At that price, you won't be getting many more..."
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Good points Allen. Still, I have found that picks make a huge difference in every mandolin I've owned. As a converted guitar player I had used Tortex blues and purples for years and years, and my first six months of playing mandolin I used the same. I bought something else one day just because I wanted to try the triangular ones, and it was like night and day. One of these days I might try a thick triangular Tortex and see if I like it as well.

I know one thing....if I like the Blue Chip I'm going to list it in my signature. It will be my fourth most expensive instrument!
    Passernig #42

Go ahead and add it to your list. I got mine yesterday and I like what I hear. Was asked tonight what I did to my mandolin, that it sounded better than it ever has before. They couldn't believe that is was a different pick.
    "Can I have a little more talent in the monitors please?"

So I got my Blue "brown" Chip pick(s) tonight. Looks like they may have been in the POB for a couple days. Anyway, when I opened the package I was surprised to find two picks, I only ordered one. I checked the receipt and Matthew had written me a note thanking me for being the first website customer and included another pick as thanks. Pretty cool. I ordered a TP50 and he added a TRP50. When I got home I took one of the Bluechips (didn't know I had different types at the time) out and a Wegen TF140, Tortis C med, TS triangle, and a Jazz Mando D'Andrea 1.5mm. Recently I've been using the Jazz mando pick on the MM and the Wegen on the Ellis as each mandolin has different needs. I took out both mandos and went through all the picks on both for a while. I knew what to expect with the stuff I already had but wanted to just get a good baseline. I was very impressed with the bluechip as it has good strong cut but isn't harsh. That seems to be the trade off, you either get strong definition or warmth never both. The bluechip gets both. I thought maybe it was because the bluechip (BC) had more rounded tips then I realized that Matthew sent two different shapes so I broke out the TP50 and rotated that in. I got the same sound from the TP and TFP which was really interesting in that I find more point gives me a more pointy sound usually. So I'm pretty pleased overall and think I found a that sounds great and works on both my mandos. The material appears to be very durable and it doesn't slip around in your hand. I'd say if you're feeling like checking out a new pick these are quite nice go for it.
    PJ
    Stanley V5

24. The following members say thank you to pjlama for this post:

I think I'll give one a try...but...I think I'd rather sell 1000 picks at $25 each than 300 at $35 each...do the math.

I don't get it. Many on this site won't bat an eye at dropping three or four grand at buying a mandolin, but draw the line at $35.00 picks. Mama-mia. I just don't get it.
    A couple of mandolins
    A couple guitars
    An Upright Bass
    Some banjos
    Wax Paper over a comb
    A Loar era Didjeridoo

"I Never Wanted To Be A Barber. I Always Wanted To Be A Lumberjack !"