Thread: Sources for wood

This is just a question I have wondered about. About the wood you builder use. I know some of you are tonewood sellers and others get there own wood. Does not all wood have to be aged? If so and if somone wanted to get in the business of tonewoods or building where do you get your wood.Do you not have to stockpile wood years in advance? How would you start? If you found the perfect log and it is green do you just store it for years or am I way off here. You tonewood dealers is the wood you sell today something you bought or cut years ago? I am noy trying to be nosy but this building and tonewoods stuff just fasicinates me.

Sorry maybe my post was way to general-

For your top woods say spruce- how old do you like it or how green can you use it?

Side and back -same question.

"....and if somone wanted to get in the business of tonewoods...."

I'd go back to college or something...

Hey Spruce - I am disabled so my working days and college days are sadly over. In my dreams I would like to be a luthier but I cannot build a rabbit gum. I live in a 100 year old house that my greatgrandparents lived in.I just like looking at good wood and learning about it. I defintely am not going into a tonewood business I just find it interesting. At least in your line of work you have a reason to admire wood and mandolin and instruments. I envy you that. I remember a builder talking about his uncle who worked with wood. He said "He sure knows a piece of wood". I always liked that- I was a electrician and "He sure knows a piece of wire" just don't sound as noble.

"I am noy trying to be nosy but this building and tonewoods stuff just fasicinates me."

TEE:

If you have a passion for something - do it! Latch on to someone who doesn't mind showing you and teaching you! If you have a knack for it, you will learn, if you don't then you will eventually know you are not cut out for it. When I wanted to go back to college for a master's degree (in Landscape Architecture), my boss told me not to waste my time, that I would learn more staying and working for him. He was correct!
    Linksmaker

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Tee,
    Most tonewood dealers mill their own wood. Where they get it is often their trade secret, but you have to search for wood that is appropriate for building instruments.
    Once you have a log, you have to cut it into lengths and then into wedges or flats. This has to be seasoned. If done right, this means it has to be stacked and stickered carefully so it will dry evenly. Normally, wood dried a year for every inch in thickness, but more is better.
    Luthiers tend to accumulate wood they allow to dry until they get to it.
    Tonewood has to be dry because movement after an instrument is built can be devastating.
    To mill wood, a good bandsaw is all that is really needed, but some have full portable sawmills and the like.
    The art of tonewood is, IMHO, finding the right trees and milling them correctly. Not an easy task.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Thanks Billhay4 thats what I was wondering. There is no instant gratification in the wood business I see. I guess there would be fun in the hunt though.

Thanks Links good advice.

Bill's advice and characterization of what is involved is excellent. Maybe the "biggest secret" is living in the right place and having contacts - and downright luck (being in the right place at the right time).

I am certainly no tonewood expert, but I got an "introduction" to wood from the many acres of clearing done in my line of work, mostly in the southeast (including some of the higher mountain elevations in North Carolina). I just learned to love wood and how cull some of the better trees that had potential - not particularly for instruments, but as nice wood for all types of projects. Most was Walnut, Maple, and Cherry and some Fir, Spruce, etc. Unlike what Bill suggested (which I think is best), I had to depend on others to get a log to a mill and most of the time just hope that they cut it correctly. Good luck!
    Linksmaker