Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern flavor

Default Re: Southern flavor

Quote Originally Posted by mando-tech View Post
    Hey folks,...as I have said so many times...-it's all MAJOR, remember nothing MINOR about Southern Flavor,...if you think it is...then its just an 'audio illusion' !
    This is just not correct. Many many versions of this song (including Monroe's) are in E minor. If you want to play major chords over it, that's fine and will create a different sound, but most of the versions of this song that people are familiar with use an E minor for the A section.

Southern flavor is a great tune whether it's played slow or at brake neck speed. The tune,as I printed out the sheet music,is in the key of E..that would make the first part Emaj. Going to B7,Emaj. Then Gm,F#m,Emaj. Or 1,1,5,1,3,2,1...the second part would be Dm,Emaj. Dm,B7,,or 7,1,7,5..resolves to 1.. now I never play it that way myself,I play all minor's except the B7,,the second part I play,Dm,Em,Dm,B7,,I like the intensity of the Dm,Em Dm sound,,this tune like so many others is open to interpretation .

Blog Entries

Hey folks,...as I have said so many times...-it's all MAJOR, remember nothing MINOR about Southern Flavor,...if you think it is...then its just an 'audio illusion' !
    You do realize that you are commenting on a thread started 11 years ago and last commented on in February, 2010?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

4. The following members say thank you to Bernie Daniel for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Well, on the studio version, with fiddles, there's a descending bass run leading back from the bridge, and that line clearly is b-a-g-f#, emphasizing the minor character. That line is missing from the live version at Mountain Stage.

And, actually, the final very deliberate E major chord only accentuates the minor character of what comes before it. I believe there's confusion here because people are referring to different versions of the tune.

In the end its a matter of personal choice. I want Southern Flavor (except the bridge) in e minor, just as I want Northern White Clouds (with a similar bridge) in major with e minor or e minor penta superimposed over the major chords.

6. The following members say thank you to ralph johansson for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by ralph johansson View Post
    Well, on the studio version, with fiddles, there's a descending bass run leading back from the bridge, and that line clearly is b-a-g-f#, emphasizing the minor character. That line is missing from the live version at Mountain Stage.

And, actually, the final very deliberate E major chord .
    That is because the bass is descending down to G ,which the chord is Gm,then F# , which the chord would be F#m and resolves to E maj..look at the chords I posted above.

Playing this yesterday I realize I'm all over the place with this tune,,I play the first round pretty straight forward and after that anything goes,,I play it entirely in minors,,when I hit the B7 or whatever ,I usually solo with a B m7 pentatonic ,which sounds real killer to me,,so the rules to this tune is whatever sounds good to you,,,

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.Nydn View Post
    That is because the bass is descending down to G ,which the chord is Gm,then F# , which the chord would be F#m and resolves to E maj..look at the chords I posted above.
    That's not what I hear. To my ears the bridge ends with two bars of B7, the fiddles holding their notes. The four note bass line I'm referring to, leading back to the beginning, occurs in the second of these two bars. I don't hear any gm or f#m chord there.

Also, three different chords within one single bar is not what I expect to hear in a Monroe recording.

This is the way we play it, I don't think TD meant 3 chords in 1 bar...I'll have to try it with the Gm and F#m next time we play it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Southern Flavor.pdf 
Views:	78 
Size:	32.8 KB 
ID:	178313
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

12. The following members say thank you to bigskygirl for this post: