Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tenor Guitar

Thanks Dolamon - just ordered John McGann's book; that and some more serious study at Jazzmando.com is probably what I need..

Lucho, can you tell us more about Brazilian tenors? What kind of music is played on them? How are they played? The picture you posted shows a nylon-strung instrument. Is it played fingerstyle? Strummed? Flamenco-style? Are there any well-known players we should seek out? Recordings? Thanks.

Blog Entries

delsbrother: These brazilian axes are real tenor guitars and not cuatro. They use steel strings and are traditionally tuned CGDA as you could see at the links ( http://www.guitarrasweb.com/guitarr....nte.jpg and http://www.guitarrasweb.com/guitarr....za.jpg ) they have a mix of hispanic influences in its design. Now, with regard to the music.... They are used mostly in the so called "regional" folk styles... too many to be precise, but more on the NE of Brazil, also it was popularized by Garoto (Aníbal Augusto Sardinha) in the 1930s for almost any music he played at that time... If you see any old Carmen Miranda movie you will see it in her band. #
    More TGs at:
    http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/manoel.../FrameSet3.htm
    http://geocities.yahoo.com.br/manoel...olaoTenor1.htm

old brazilian method:

http://www.vitale.com.br/sistema/pro...p?codigo=10983

the one I showed before in my earlier post is an argentinean Breyer TG. Now check the back....mix of classical and banjo....?
    http://www.guitarrasweb.com/guitarr....ras.jpg

If you read some portuguese:
    É o seguinte: o violão-tenor é um instrumento que foi praticamente descoberto pelo Del Vecchio1 e o Garoto, né?2 O Garoto com a musicalidade que Deus deu e o Del Vecchio com a inteligência. Então nada mais é do que um banjo-tenor, que a afinação é de banjo-tenor, dó-sol-ré-lá, e a invenção de passar pro instrumento dinâmico. Ficou com esse som maravilhoso, que na realidade o violão-tenor tem um som diferente, é um tom sóbrio, é um tom muito bonito. Tanto que eu, quando estava no Ceará, ouvia o Garoto fazer o programa na Mayrink Veiga, com a [pianista] Carolina Cardoso de Menezes, e eu já admirava o som do instrumento. Por isso encomendei ao Del Vecchio que fizesse um instrumento pra mim também, mais ou menos parecido com o do Garoto. Isso foi em 1932. Ele mandou esse violão-tenor, que eu fiz questão de conservar assim, porque eu tenho medo até que o próprio fabricante mexa nele, até envernizar, que eu tenho medo que perca o som, porque é realmente um som maravilhoso. O Garoto preparou a valsa Desvairada, pra tocar... ela foi feita pra violão-tenor. Mas como ele tinha uma facilidade grande de instrumento, que a gente até trocava de instrumento e coisa e tal, então ele chegou na gravadora e disseram: "Garoto, hoje tu vai gravar aquela valsa, aquela Desvairada". Porque naquele tempo todos os bandolinistas tinham sua valsa-concerto. Eu até fiz uma valsa-concerto também de bandolim. Mas a do Garoto era uma coisa medonha... Mas ele não podia, ele deixou o instrumento em casa, o violão-tenor, que era a paixão dele. "Mas tem que ser hoje". Naquele tempo, às vezes, a gravação tinha duas cera, três cera, o cara tinha que chegar e tocar mesmo, porque, se não tocasse... Errou, danou-se porque não tinha mais cera. Errou duas vezes, três vezes, acabou a cera, a gravação tinha que adiar. E aí o Garoto disse: "Não, então faz o seguinte..." Aí tomaram um bandolim emprestado do Bandolim de Ouro (sem propaganda) e o Garoto na realidade chegou lá, mandou Desvairada e gravou de bandolim. É por isso que nos meus shows eu apresento sempre Desvairada em bandolim, porque foi gravada originalmente no bandolim pelo Garoto. De repente, eu estava com o violão-tenor na mão e passei pro bandolim também. Vamo ver o que é que sai.

[Música instrumental: Desvairada]
    Desvairada, Garoto. Copyright by BANDEIRANTE EDITORA MUSICAL LTDA. (ADDAF).

lucho...thanks for all that great info and links. I have a cd by pedro amorim called "violao tenor" that is superb. The man can tear it up on the 4 strings! The pictures in the CD show a classical styled tenor very similar to the one you linked to but with a slotted peghead with 3 leaf clover tuning knobs. The bridge is right out of the classical style also. I'll scan it after work and post em but nows the time to head off. Workin on Sunday so I can get to Strawberry music festival and meet up with Duuude, Benignus and a bunch of other friends. Tall pines, tall stories, great music!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

A simple question from a tenor newbie:

I have mine tuned CGDA.
    I read that you can tune them DADA to play slide. I tried that this weekend but got VERY nervous trying to tune the G-string up to A - seemed like the tuner was really straining. Does anyone else tune that way?
    Kirk

It'll go no problem. have ya beeen to tenor guitar.com or Ry Cooders sites yet? #Lots of great info there on a bunch of tunings too. Your only going #up a bit on a wound string. #NOTE: #If your tener is a old Gibson TG model those are very lightly built guitars and NOT designed for anything but light guage strings...hence there great response. My regal is built like a tank and handles medium guage with no problems. Wha'da'ya got over there anyhows? Im off to Strawberry so I won't be back here till monday night!!!
    Pine trees, music, and lots of friends!!!
    Look up (to see whats comin down)

My Martin T-18 sounds better CGDA. I could be pursuaded to try GDAE, but either way tenors are better tuned in 5ths. DGBE just sounds like a wimpy guitar - they sing in 5ths!
    Johneeaaddgg