Thread: Discovering America

Dear friends (especially ye on this side of the pond),

2004 marks my 25th year amongst you. What more fitting commemoration, then, than acquiring a nice —if also modest— American bowlback? (None, I think.)

So: The newborn creatures of the Larson shop being, ehm... out of my price-range, I must first forego my bias for new instruments; case closed. Vintage being consequently the only path to discovery, I welcome any and all your suggestions: no hurry (no mando-funds at hand as of this writing), no prior hands-on experience at all, no preconceived notions (well... almost none)

Land, ho!
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

which america?... i bought an absolutely beautiful, concert quality charango from off the "bolivia mall" site for $220. i admit i'm not overly fond of the sound of metal strings but high quality nylon strings reverberating around a finely crafted wooden bowl is a real treat for any ear. you also have the added bonus of commissioning an instrument to be made especially for you by a good craftsman (ernesto soto, i believe his name is) for less than an arm and a leg. the first charango i asked him to make has wooden pegs instead of gears. if you're interested, talk to percy prieto (percy "priest", i kid you not) at boliviamall.com.
    in any case, i hope you find what you like.
    sincerely - bill

Well, Bill, being married to a Latin American, I would be the last person to chauvinistically suggest that the ONLY America is the U.S.

Still, I am speaking of a bowlback mandolin, which, to my narrow, Mediterranean mind, means strictly a Neapolitan-type instrument.

Having said all that, I don't see why I shouldn't ALSO get a charango some day.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Congratulations Victor and - you have the spirit of the exercise already. Why limit yourself to one? Early Larsons (the real thing) higher line Washburns, Vega's Martin's, Ditson's (redundant I know)etc. can all be simply marvelous instruments. And, If you keep quiet about this move to colonial instruments, relatively inexpensive ... The more you talk, the more pressure you put on the marketplace.

Charango's by the way ... are charming. I've been thinking about trying some of the parts of Missa Creole on either a Charango or a Tres ...
    Mandola fever is permanent.

hi,
    what about dino?
    your both americans, both greek. I think he has an italian style he made with a butterfly inlay. lower right corner in his mandolino pics

Jeff, Dino (Bersis) is a swell guy and a friend of mine. Still, the mandolins he builds (as you know firsthand, my friend *he, he*) are of the "Greek type", i.e. flat-top bowlbacks; those I've got plenty of.

actually , after posting that, I felt kinda silly,
    its just TOO obvious I would mention dino after just getting mine:laugh:

There are many good mandos out there, so I guess the question is how you want America represented in your collection. I guess the most typical American bowlback would be something by Lyon & Healy, since they're the most common. A Vega would be a good choice if you want something that sounds very different from the typical Mediterranean sound (at least judging by the one I had). An f-hole Waldo or an aluminum Merrill would be nothing like any Mediterranean luthier ever built.

My real-life advice is that healthy condition is the most important thing. Just start looking and see what good deals on healthy pieces come up.
    Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

Thanks, Peter. And your judgment is right on: Yes, I want something in playable condition. Knowing me, you probably also know that I don't care for "the Maharaja's Elephant" kind of instrument; 2-3 lbs. of abalone don't go far with me. So: solid, modest, plain...

Can you, however, please elaborate on [QUOTE]"something that sounds very different from the typical Mediterranean sound"? In and of itself, that is a good thing: I certainly am NOT looking for an American instrument that replicates (or tries to) the sound of a product of Naples proper. In short: different = good

Frankly, if you pursue L&H, I would stick with their Washburn brand. I like Vega and Martin, of course. Ditson commissioned mandolins mandolins from all of the aforementioned firms for their house brand, and most healthy Ditsons seem pretty nice. Something I'd really like to own and don't is a Regal from the days when that name was a brand of the Wulschner family in Indiana. Siegel played Regal. I would be tickled to live vicariously through you, Victor.

My Vega was the least twangy bowlback I've ever heard and had a very smooth tremolo. On the downside, it was somewhat subdued. I know you love the twang, Victor, but if something different is what you're looking for...

On the other hand, I've heard the Larsons' instruments described as splitting the difference between Italian and American tones; my limited experience doesn't allow me to make a judgement on that, but if true it's probably not what you want.
    Peter Klima (not the hockey player)

Ah, the joys of window-shopping...

Since the beginning of this quest —well, at least the candid admission that I am on one— I have come across so many and such lovely instruments!

Being mando-penniless at present in no way detracts from the pleasure. Why, (I tell myself) if I were all loaded and trigger-happy, I would probably make some rash decision! (lame, pseudomoralistic rationale...)

So, apart from the usual, non-descript dreck one finds in abundance (be it made in the U.S., or Italy, or Germany, or wherever), some "themes" are beginning to emerge: the slender, somewhat elongated bowls (or is it just my impression?), the general, American "look", the coexistence of totally, stark naked simplicity of design with the gawd-to-the-max ornamentation...

I must say, if so in platitude, that the journey is half (or more?) of the joy of eventual arrival. I'm in no hurry.