Thread: Buzzing "geez"

Hi,

I've searched the forum and even found someone with this exact problem - except the cause was different (his/hers was a crack in the bridge). I just want to know if I'm forgetting anything before I go to a repair shop--

I just bought a new Collings MT from Mando Bros 3 weeks ago. Love it. However, about a week ago I started to get a buzz when I strike my G's with more than medium force. Just the G's. It's present all up the neck. I haven't touched the bridge since getting it.

It sounds like it's coming from the bridge side. I've tried to do the diagnostic sequence, but haven't come up with anything.

Checked all the hardware. Nothing loose. Tried damping the strings between the tailpiece and bridge. The G's are not buzzing against each other because they buzz when struck individually (with me muting the other). They both buzz independently.

Thoughts? I feel like it might be neck relief since my apartment gets hot as hell (forced heat). String gauge maybe? They're stock strings, haven't changed em yet.

Thanks,
    linguist
    Collings MT
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Check the pickguard if you have one. My mando had a loose one and buzzed until I tightened it up.
    Steve Davis

I should really be practicing instead of sitting in front of the computer.

No pickguard
    Collings MT

Language is the armory of the human mind, and at once contains the trophies of its past and the weapons of its future conquests. -Samuel Taylor Coleridge

Tailpiece?

If your place is hot and dry (low relative humidity), it could be that the action is too low. As a carved top dries out the arch lowers, and since the bridge is sitting in the middle of the arch, the bridge lowers, and the strings lower, thus the action lowers. Buzzes usually show up on the G-strings first when the action gets to be too low.
    If that is the case, humidifying your place is the best answer. Humidifying the instrument in the case is the next best answer.

If the instrument is kept in proper relative humidity for a few days and things don't improve, and if it is in fact string buzz, it's probably in need of neck and/or bridge adjustments.

That's odd, I have the same problem only on the D strings not the G. I just paid for an expensive setup too. Mine seems to be coming from inside the body if that's possible. It drives me nuts because the repair guy is a looong way away. Keep us posted if you solve the buzzy 'cause I am real close to having to destring and clean everything and reassemble just to check for cracks and such. I'm in dry old Colorado so I wager my instrument is changing after coming here from Texas.
    "The trouble with you is the trouble with me, got two good eyes, but still don't see."--J.G.

I'm not an expert here, but I agree with John. It seems that every time there is a seasonal change, my instruments react accordingly.

Humidify, humidify, humidify. The G course being the thickest would PROBABLY show the effects of low humidity first. Either way, I'd humidify for a few days - let the instrument adjust - then check it again.

Keep us posted.

I'll be back soon. I'm getting myself a humidifier!

Thanks guys for the replies.
    Collings MT

Just thinking out loud here, but if you have a radiused fretboard, couldn't the D strings buzz first from reduced action? They would be slightly closer to the frets than the G's. In that case, the "fix" might be the same: humidify.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by (JoeK421 @ Feb. 10 2008, 12:14)
    ...if you have a radiused fretboard, couldn't the D strings buzz first from reduced action?
    If the mandolin is set up correctly, all the strings will be their own proper distance form the frets, regardless of whether the fingerboard is flat or radiused. The larger G-strings will vibrate in a bigger "arc" than the other strings, so they may be more likely to be the first to buzz as the action lowers, especially if the height is about the same on all the strings. Normally, the action height will be slightly higher as you go from E to G because of the bigger vibrational "arcs" of the heavier strings, but the G-strings are often set just shy of buzzing so that the mandolin is more comfortable to play, so they are often, but not always, the first to buzz when the action gets lower, and sometimes it doesn't take much of a change in height to start a buzz.

Thanks for the information John. I had not thought about the "arcs" of string vibration, but it makes sense to me. You gave a very clear explanation.

Joe

So I'm not the only one then!!!

Got a Weber for about a month now and the D string just started buzzing this morning

It's driving me nuts!!

The action is pretty high all round and everything is as I got it from the shop so I imagine it's set up as it should be.

Same as steadypluckinaway with the sound coming from inside the body...

I have central heating so maybe that's it... but why all of sudden today?
    Mando: Weber Bitteroot

F-style Apostate

Don't forget to check the truss rod and make sure it isn't loose- there have been more than a few buzzing instruments cured by snugging up the trussrod.

Obligatory are the dire warnings from those who'll tell you that one more white shirt'll be all you need if you fool with the truss rod, but I'm not suggesting *adjusting* it, rather just check it to make sure it has enough tension in it that it isn't loose enough to buzz. Put the wrench on it and turn gently. If it's loose, you'll know right away.

Rick

I just changed my string 5min. ago and now I am having the same problem on my bottom G string only!
    Before the sting change it played like butter with no buzz.
    It will buzz without fretting and with fretting above and below the bridge.
    Only the one string??
    HELP!!!!! Anyone Know Why???
    "Just pick it son"

Check out this Buzz Diagnosis page on Frank Ford's frets.com. It will walk you through discovering where the buzz is.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Ok Mike heres a good one for ya!
    I just put the old string back on to elimiate all poss. and Now I have not buzzing. I looked for a answer on Franks page but could not find anything. Any Clue?
    "Just pick it son"

So the buzzing has stopped?
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Yea the buzz has stopped. And now I just swapped the old string with a new J74 out of the pack and still no buzz.
    The strings I originaly put on were J75's. Go figure?
    I don't know if I have gotten a bad string or not, has anyone ever heard of such a thing?
    "Just pick it son"

Could be a bad string, if the winding is loose on the string it'll buzz. Try another new string and see what happens.

Sometimes new strings buzz when old strings didn't if the action was right on the edge of buzzing before the string change. It's possible that one G is just slightly lower than the other in the bridge.

Yep! Bad G string, I dont know why but I picked it up and for some reason streched it out and it's like a slinky.
    Thanks! for all the quick responses and hope I did not hijack the thread.
    "Just pick it son"

Blog Entries

A few posts discuss buzzes that have begun recently. You knwo what else began recently... Spring. It's warmer in most places, and more humid. Adjust bridge height accordingly.
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

This happened to me about a month ago. I had a new nut cut for my Ratcliff and when I got it back the open D course buzzed and the A course buzzed at the first fret, and the open G buzzed. I trusted the nut because the luthier's pretty good (Chris Warner at Campbell's in York, PA) so I tried raising the action to no avail.

Finally I took a look at the truss rod thinking that I would try small adjustments and see what happens--just about a half-turn made counter-clockwise (I think) made everything right again. You might consider giving it a shot--I think if you work in small increments you should be safe.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)

Blog Entries

Chris Warner is a stud setup guy. He did a setup on one of my mandolins once and it was the best steup I ever had.

Cool to hear someone else uses him too.

Where do you live?
    Hamlett Two-Point
    Eastman MD805
    Schertler DYN-M + Yellow
    http://www.youtube.com/ktbriggs
    https://www.facebook.com/kevin.briggs.1213

Kevin,
    I'm in Wrightsville. I agree that you can't go wrong with Chris. He's a good guy. In fact, all of the people at Campbell's are great.
    It's not that life is short, but that we waste so much of it.

--Seneca (paraphrased)