Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goichberg mandocello studies

Default Re: Goichberg mandocello studies

I have to get on this. Apologies to all. It will take a while since there are a bunch of pages.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

2. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Beanzy 

No need for any apology. It's a very generous thing you are doing. If you get it done and want to send it, just a PDF will do. I don't know what the copyright allows, but it would definitely make it easier on you. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I have to get on this. Apologies to all. It will take a while since there are a bunch of pages.
    Hi Jim,

I just wanted to resurrect this thread. We mandocellists are a plucky few, and I reckon the interest that has been expressed in comments past persists to this day.

I will also echo the offer to pay for the service of scanning these pages, or else offer to do the dirty work myself :-) Will travel for etudes.

Please let us know, and thanks for offering a window of opportunity.
    Last edited by thecelloronin; Aug-09-2018 at 3:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    if you feel so inclined I would appreciate a copy.. Please let me know how I can compensate you!

Thanks

Kerry

Although I am neither an advanced player or a mandocello scholar, I will be presenting some solo mandocello literature at the CMSA Santa Rosa Convention in November. These will include some original compositions by contemporaries as well as examples from the Goichberg and Bickford books. As this will be a reading session (rather than a lecture or demonstration) I am focusing on the easier and more accessible selections, but there will also be some quite advanced music available. I want to thank several of the people in this thread for their help and contributions, and I will post more details (and names) as the convention approaches, probably in a new thread. I am hoping this CMSA session will lead to a wider awareness and enthusiasm for solo mandocello music.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    Although I am neither an advanced player or a mandocello scholar, I will be presenting some solo mandocello literature at the CMSA Santa Rosa Convention in November. These will include some original compositions by contemporaries as well as examples from the Goichberg and Bickford books. As this will be a reading session (rather than a lecture or demonstration) I am focusing on the easier and more accessible selections, but there will also be some quite advanced music available. I want to thank several of the people in this thread for their help and contributions, and I will post more details (and names) as the convention approaches, probably in a new thread. I am hoping this CMSA session will lead to a wider awareness and enthusiasm for solo mandocello music.
    That is a noble pursuit. I look forward to November!

8. The following members say thank you to thecelloronin for this post:

Any chance that those of us cannot attend can eventually access this material? I am no longer a member and no longer play in an ensemble, but would love to work more on my mandocello skills here at home. And no, I cannot afford to attend.....I've had to give up all my workshops. Thank you.
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life--music and cats" Albert Schweitzer

Quote Originally Posted by violmando View Post
    Any chance that those of us cannot attend can eventually access this material? Thank you.
    Yes, of course--after the convention I will post the material, possibly in the Cafe if that's OK with the composers and the webmasters, or simply through my email contact. These will bejust a few short samples of course, with the idea that people will contact and support the composers for more material, and possibly get a big mandocello ball rolling. And if you don't have an ensemble, keep in mind there are some nice bass/treble duets including Bach's 2 pt Inventions and some Mozart cello/violin. Just one more player and you got a whole new level of fun.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Doc James View Post
    Yes, of course--after the convention I will post the material, possibly in the Cafe if that's OK with the composers and the webmasters, or simply through my email contact. These will bejust a few short samples of course, with the idea that people will contact and support the composers for more material, and possibly get a big mandocello ball rolling. And if you don't have an ensemble, keep in mind there are some nice bass/treble duets including Bach's 2 pt Inventions and some Mozart cello/violin. Just one more player and you got a whole new level of fun.
    That'd be fine. We're all for sharing rare, hard-to-find material.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mandolin Cafe For This Useful Post:

Doc James, any time to devote to follow up on posting ?
    And Jim, any thoughts on scanning Bicjford?
    John D

The CMSA convention is just a few weeks away, and I am putting together the packet of MC solo music in its final stages. I have to check with all the composers and editors one last time to make sure I don't violate anyone's copyright (or just general intentions). Also, some of the music is hand-written, and I have to decide whether I have time (or the rights) to put it in Finale.The convention is mid-November so I will post the material on Cafe shortly after that.
    I want to make sure the right people get credit: I am merely collecting short selections and compositions from people who are doing the real work. Not being coy or difficult, but I have been burned other places by either posting something prematurely, or having someone else post something I did not approve.
    The composer and editor names will be connected with each selection, and I will encourage players to both acknowledge and support their work. AND I think Mandolin Cafe is a great resource--I could never have even begun this project without it. I just got my new Mandolin Cafe cap and I will wear it proudly, even as people ask me "Is that a ukelele?"

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Imhoff For This Useful Post:

Are there any recordings of these? I would love to check them out.

I think this is the first time that question has come up; I will wait to see if some of the more experienced players respond. I just stumbled onto all this as I was trying to find mandocello music that was not "just" part of an ensemble work. Some of the people I have met and chatted with are far more knowledgeable and skilled--maybe your question will get some recording going!

I'm one of the few people that actually own the Goichberg Mandocello studies (and made digital copy for making sure it doesn't get lost to history). I don't believe that the studies were ever recorded. They're very advanced, and almost like excerpts versus actual composed studies. I'd guess a lot of them were adapted from Cello Music due to the extreme ranges some get into.
    (I was) my own teacher and pupil, and thanks to the efforts
    of both, they were not discontented with each other. -- Segovia

Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandolin
    Lawrence Smart Stern 2-point Mandola
    Weber Gallatin Mandocello
    Weber Gallatin Soprano (Piccolo) Mandolin
    Breedlove Prototype Mandolin

Do you own the Plucked String edition or the original?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Obviously not the same thing but wondering if this has any kind of importance?

Bickford Method Mandocello that just hit our Classifieds.

Blog Entries

A few people on here have it, but I would be interested to get hold of a copy.
    I’ll contact the seller via the ad.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Importance, yes. Just one caveat but you may or may not care about this:

Music is written in a Universal Clef where the low C is one lever line below the staff ( like middle C) and the high A string is notated one ledger line above.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

"Obviously not the same thing but wondering if this has any kind of importance?

Bickford Method Mandocello that just hit our Classifieds."

For the historian/musicologist of the mandolin, the Bickford mandocello method is very important. It is, AFAIK, the only method for mandocello per se published during the period (I am treating Calace's method for liuto as different, although there is overlap). It is comprehensive, similar to Bickford's mandolin method, and quite lengthy (ca. 80 pages). All of the music is in universal notation (so, treble clef sounding two octaves below as written). There are quite a few duets (this was Bickford's teaching method, to play along with the student) and also excepts of several works for mandolin, mandola (in C), and mandocello that are also historically important (they were written for a professional trio that Bickford played in for a while, in NYC in the 1910s).
    Robert A. Margo

For those interested, I will be sharing some brand new solo mandocello music at the CMSA convention in October, including a forthcoming Mandocello Method book by August Watters. We talked about the Bickford and Goichberg books at last year's session and this will be a very exciting addition to the literature. ... And it is in good old bass clef.

I tried to buy the bickford. I’m still looking for a copy of it if someone has it. I really want it for my studio. A digital copy would be fine.

I have the plucked strings edition of the goichberg and I’m going to be digitizing the complete Pettine edition next week I hope.

Quote Originally Posted by margora View Post
    "Also Jim, since you know the editor, there was supposed to be another edition of these according to the books introduction. Does anyone know where we could find manuscripts for all of the etudes? "

The PS edition of vol. 1 of the Goichberg studies was prepared by Terry Pender, who is the Associate Director of the computer music studio at Columbia University. He clearly worked from the original manuscript because he says so in an article published in the Mandolin Quarterly (September 1999, vol. 4, no. 3). Pender's email can be found at his academic website (google him).

One of Goichberg's daughters (Rena, I don't know if he had another) is on FB (search for her). Perhaps she has access to the manuscripts. It is thought that a large number of Goichberg manuscripts are held by Alan Jacobson, a former member of the Seattle Mandolin Orchestra, who lives in Seattle. Alan is also on FB.
    For anyone persistent enough to follow up on whatever scant leads are available, I want to make it known that I've contacted Mr. Pender and Mr. Jacobson regarding the elusive 2nd volume. I'm waiting to hear back from Mr. Pender, but unfortunately Mr. Jacobson was unable to help.

I may try to reach out to the surviving Goichbergs in time as well. I will keep y'all updated when and if anything comes through.
    Pomeroy #244 Custom Mandocello - "Liuto Americano"
    NS Design CR6 Electric Cello

The never-ending thread! Glad so many people are interested, so I will re-post some information here that I (and others) have posted elsewhere.
    • I have the Plucked Strings Goichberg Mandocello Bk 1--at this point I lost track of who sent it to me (Jim Garber? Bob Margo? anyway THANKS!)
    • I contacted Goichberg's daughter and she was happy to hear about all this and happy to have the book shared
    • I know that does not necessarily mean "copyright free" but I do believe it's public domain
    • I presented some of this at last year's CMSA and will have new material this year at Normal

I can only take credit for contacting and gathering: other people in this thread have done the serious work of collecting, researching, and editing, and I thank them all!
    I don't think it's my place to "publish" Goichberg (or Bickford) but I already got some friendly private requests for copies: my email is jfimhoff@msn.com
    If you are serious about mandocello literature and studies, join CMSA, come to the CMSA Solo Mandocello Workshop at CMSA and enjoy what looks like a wonderful Convention!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Imhoff View Post
    The never-ending thread! Glad so many people are interested, so I will re-post some information here that I (and others) have posted elsewhere.
    • I have the Plucked Strings Goichberg Mandocello Bk 1--at this point I lost track of who sent it to me (Jim Garber? Bob Margo? anyway THANKS!)
    • I contacted Goichberg's daughter and she was happy to hear about all this and happy to have the book shared
    • I know that does not necessarily mean "copyright free" but I do believe it's public domain
    • I presented some of this at last year's CMSA and will have new material this year at Normal

I can only take credit for contacting and gathering: other people in this thread have done the serious work of collecting, researching, and editing, and I thank them all!
    I don't think it's my place to "publish" Goichberg (or Bickford) but I already got some friendly private requests for copies: my email is jfimhoff@msn.com
    If you are serious about mandocello literature and studies, join CMSA, come to the CMSA Solo Mandocello Workshop at CMSA and enjoy what looks like a wonderful Convention!
    Hi Jim,

Thanks for the recap, I've emailed you regarding the Bickford method. I do have a question since you've been in touch with Mr. Goichberg's daughter: does the 2nd volume of his mandocello studies still exist in some accessible form? Do you think Ms. (née?) Goichberg would have this manuscript on hand, or at least know its whereabouts?

As for the CMSA workshop, it's very much on my list of medium term goals. The challenge is a twofold product of distance: time and money. The interest is definitely there, and I don't think I'm alone in saying that!

Hello everyone, I've managed to get my hands on both the Bickford and Goichberg Vol. 1. Here's a Dropbox link for your enjoyment. If this post runs afoul of any copyright restrictions, please feel free to let me know or just delete the post.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ndo57jser...WQdrQOf1a?dl=0

30. The following members say thank you to thecelloronin for this post:

derbex