Thread: Need cheap 8-string acoustic/electric

hi y'all-- A friend in Brazil asked me to bring him down a beach mando-- an acoustic/electric 8-string. He sent me some links that I have checked out & read customer reviews. There's a Johnson Savannah for just over $100, a Rogue FM-80E for ~$130, and a Fender FM-52E for around $240. Anyone have any experience w/ any of these? or have anything else to suggest in the lowlow price range? I did look to see if I could find info in previous posts and didn't. So I apologize if i am asking a question y'all are so tired of answering but I have no experience w/ new cheap electrics and would hate to buy & schlep an unplayable. Miraculous not expected, just looking for playable w/ a decent sound.
    thnx
    mm

FM 52s are apparently real cheap on ebay, lots of 2nd hand turnover,
    which should tell you something..
    many starters that are changing hands , your conversation with the seller will be educational.

I would, as many others have said before, buy , if new , from a retailer with a policy of doing in house adjustments before delivery to make the thing playable.

Internet warehouse music guys have YOU do the arrival inspection,
    the last time someone saw it, was boxing the product up in the [usually] Asian factory.

for a schlep around, I have been pretty happy with my Martin Backpacker. about $270

Manufacturing execution well thought and carried out.

important stuff : durable, playable, the neck shape on it is very nice,
    and its easy to sling over your shoulder and carry it along in it's Gig Bag.
    [and stow in the overhead compartment in the plane]

as the need arises, you can always put on a stick on soundboard piezo pickup.

writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

thnx for the tips on procedure-- still don't know what to do, but I'm off to the scary Ebay. & then I'll call some nearby stores.
    mm

Borrowed a Rogue once and it wasn't too bad for the price, seemed pretty durable too. Not much volume unplugged but easy to play & sounded OK plugged straight in.
    mandollusional Mike

In that price range you might want to include a Crafter. They are about as durable as they will come, sound pretty decent plugged in with built in electronics, but not the kind of mandolin you would bring to a bluegrass festival.

There are some previous threads about this mandolin, and I've got one and will bring it with me camping or to the beach with no worries at all.