Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed neck

Well, after reading all the pro's and con's from everyone's past posts...I decided to take the plunge. No Regrets. I finished it with pure tung oil.
    Don't get me wrong...I'm not exactly someone who needed to do this to achieve a new level, (let's just say speed is a very strong word) but I really do like the feel of it. Heck, I maybe even like the look of it. Cheers.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0147.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	29389  
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

-CS Lewis

www.bikepikespeak.com

Can't figure out this attachment thing....

Name:	IMG_0154.JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	94.8 KB 
ID:	29390  
    "I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else."

-CS Lewis

www.bikepikespeak.com

nicely done. at first i thought the first picture was the finished prduct and i was a bit concerned, but it looks great.

b
    MandoLessons: Free Online Mandolin Lessons
    Velocipede: My Fiddle Tune Duo
    Old Time Mandolin: Solo Old Time Mandolin Album

whew .... ditto on the 1st photo
    looks good

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

So how exactly did you remove the finish?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Yeah, I guess it is kinda scarey looking at just the first picture. That's funny.
    I took the finish off with 200 grit sand paper. I Taped off the binding of the fretboard and part of the neck and went to town. I finished it with 1000 grit, then used OOOO steel wool to rub in the tung oil. Three coats.

-CS Lewis

www.bikepikespeak.com

I too was worried after seeing the first shot but the finished product looks great!! It gives your mandolin that old vintage, played in look. What kind of mandolin is that?

It's an Eastman 815. I like it. The only thing I don't like is the thick glossy finish.
    Thanks for the comments.

-CS Lewis

www.bikepikespeak.com

One of my friends has had this done to his, when I've played it i really like the feel, but I'm afraid to pull the trigger on mine....For those of you whose had it done, is it worth it?
    Andy Gladden

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

I'd suggest it's purely personal preference. #My fiddle had the finish removed and that doesn't bother me at all; my mandolin has its finish on the neck and that doesn't bother me either. #

I know a few people who've removed theirs and liked it, and others who didn't. #The mandolin player in our band prefers that her custom-made mandolin 'keep' the finish, but if it gets a bit 'sticky' in humid weather, she wears a silk billiards glove (with no fingers) to 'slide' around the neck more easily.

It's really all in what works for you! #

PS - Looks like you did a fine job removing your finish - once you get past the first photo of it!

"The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

Blog Entries

I like that "after" picture. That Eastman has some nice wood in it. Good job.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Closetmandolinplayer,
    I'd be curious to know what your friends who didn't like it thought. Was it because they didn't like the look of it, or feel? To me it seems hard to believe that someone wouldn't like the feel of it. It's fantastic.
    I also believe that it's purely personal preference. If you hate the look of it or are worried that someone won't want to buy one like it...then don't do it. If you don't care about those things...then I'd highly recommend it. Plus it's even kind of fun to have a Mando that you did some "custom" work to.

-CS Lewis

www.bikepikespeak.com

Closet Mandolin Player Mark Walker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (bobbyD @ Feb. 02 2008, 12:52)
    Closetmandolinplayer,
    I'd be curious to know what your friends who didn't like it thought. #Was it because they didn't like the look of it, or feel? #To me it seems hard to believe that someone wouldn't like the feel of it. #It's fantastic. #
    I also believe that it's purely personal preference. #If you hate the look of it or are worried that someone won't want to buy one like it...then don't do it. #If you don't care about those things...then I'd highly recommend it. #Plus it's even kind of fun to have a Mando that you did some "custom" work to.
    bobbyD - I really couldn't speculate or say for sure. #I know one individual whose - for lack of a better term - 'body chemistry' is such that whatever they play, they get 'stickiness' up and down the neck - with or without a finish. #Some - as you alluded to - don't like the 'lack of a finish', and one even removed the finish and wanted it refinished. #

And also - like we agree on - it's personal preference. #I don't 'scream' up and down the neck when and however I play, and don't 'stick' to it either, so don't really notice any difference whatsoever. #However, others - as you've observed - like the 'slick' feel of a 'speed' neck and thus prefer it.

I will say that the number of mandolins I've observed with 'speed' necks or the finish removed (unlike fiddles) is probably only one instrument in 75. #That may vary from region to region or jam to jam, but they're not overly numerous in my (limited) experience.

It's all just different strokes for different folks! # #

"The more I learn, the more I realize how ignorant I truly am..."

This is the speed neck of my old Gibson L7 archtop ... stripped and w/tung oil finish. Smooth feeling.

Name:	MVC_016F.JPG 
Views:	194 
Size:	64.8 KB 
ID:	29458  
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Awesome! thanks everyone who put in their input....now its time to get to the grindin' stone!!!
    Andy Gladden

Woodwizard-that looks real nice. Is it really that dark, or is it just the picture angle? Is there a stain on it?

-CS Lewis

www.bikepikespeak.com

bobbyD,
    That is the original stain from Gibson that was left on it after I stripped the finish off. It may have gotten a little lighter actually. I think the pic does it pretty good justice of how it actually looks. Thanks

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

Here's a shot of the whole back. Shows all the stained areas better.

Name:	L7back.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	29522  

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

bobbyD,

Nice outcome and good, simple description of the how-to-do-it. I have been tempted, but once done, it's DONE!

Though I am a very slow player, I specified a "speed" neck on the mandola Andy Poe is making for me. I bought his #2 mandolin used and it came with a "speed" neck, which just feels great, almost sensual, some better than varnish and a lot better than lacquer.

I'm seriously considering such a neck finish (or lack thereof) on a new mandolin Austin Clark is building for me. #I usually have trouble with sticky necks in warm weather, although for some reason the heavy gloss finish on my old Japanese Kentucky KM-200S has never been a problem.

I thought "speed" neck refered to one that was slightly skinnier in the width where the pairs are closer and thus quicker to go from one string to another.

Hmmm... I've not heard that before. But then again I'm brand new to this world and it very well could mean that. I've only seen it as referring to taking the finish off though.

-CS Lewis

www.bikepikespeak.com

I absolutely prefer little to no finish on my instrument necks. For me, it REALLY makes a difference, especially in the summer when the humidity is up.

I did that to my Anto Schuster upright bass and it turned out great. I was told to use linseed oil on the bass. Linseed oil is nasty stuff. I have some real tung oil left over from oiling all the cedar boards in my house.
    "I love the smell of my mandolin in the morning. The smell, you know ... that varnish smell. Smells like victory."