Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Central texas mandolins

Hello everyone. I just discovered this website. What a great resource! I've learned a lot here already. My main instrument is the violin but lately I've been branching out on the mando. I've got a Kentucky 250S that I purchased about ten years ago and now have a wild hair to get an instrument that's a little easier on the ears and hands. #Can anyone recommend where to look in Central Texas for nice mandolins? I'd like to spend no #more than about $2000. I'm not really much of a bluegrass player although I love the style; I'm more classically trained and enjoy accompanying acoustic singer/songwriters. I don't know if that makes much or any difference in choosing a mandolin, but just in case it does, there you have it. Any recommendations?
    Thanks - Sid

The Collings shop is in Austin, Texas here. I am also thinning my herd a little, if you would like to PM me. I am in College Station, Texas.
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

According to the website Strait Music in Austin carries Weber mandolins.
    Bill Snyder

Pat Skrovan owns Quincy's Guitars at the intersection of S. Congress and Riverside (in Austin). #Incredible shop and a great guy, who happens to have an exceptional custom blacktop MT that'll knock your socks off (it certainly has for everyone who's played it). #The Collings is going for just about what you're looking to spend and is a very versatile mando. #pskrovan@quincysguitars.com. NFI.

Bruce

Thanks for the information. I'll check out your recommendations.

Sid - where are you? I'm north of Ft Worth. There's not a lot of mandolins in the shops around here - but there are some Webers out in Weatherford. And you might find something at the Dallas Guitar Show April 18, 19th and 20th.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.

I'm in Austin near where all these fabulous mandolins are being built that, no doubt, if I got my hands on them I'd be in debt for the next ten years. I'm only a decent player #but I'm cursed with a very good ear for expensive musical instruments.

Houston isn't far...Fuller's

Sid, since you are in Austin you might check Ray Hennig's Heart of Texas Music. I do not know what kind of mandolins they stock but before all of the re-allignment of dealers his store in Temple used to carry Gibson F-9's and A-9's. Now this store never has any mandolins of note, but it is a smaller store than the one in Austin.
    Bill Snyder

Sid,
    If your serious, I may have something very interesting for you.
    #I can be reached at lonestarwaco@yahoo.com
    # # # # # # # # # # # # #
    # # # # # # # # # # # # Pat

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by (Curious @ Jan. 31 2008, 11:57)
    Sid, since you are in Austin you might check Ray Hennig's Heart of Texas Music. I do not know what kind of mandolins they stock but before all of the re-allignment of dealers his store in Temple used to carry Gibson F-9's and A-9's. Now this store never has any mandolins of note, but it is a smaller store than the one in Austin.
    Ray only has a couple of Fenders and a Washburn. I was in the Temple shop a couple of weeks ago.

Waco Vintage in Mansfield and Charlies Guitar shop in Dallas are the best bet in North Central Texas. Craigs in Weatherford may have a Weber or two.

Ray had a Flatiron pancake--the first I've ever played--that would be well worth your while to check out. #What a great sounding, beautifully playable, aesthetically pleasing and under $1K instrument.

Bruce

Ed Dye in Abilene, which is not exactly Central Texas, had a couple of Jade mandolins for sale. He is going to order a few more when the ones I have being finished now are ready to ship to the USA. PM me if you need his contact information.

I will be coming home to Austin in late March or early April and will have some Jade mandolins and some nice violins in hand. My plans are to have some to show at the Old Settler's Festival in mid April.
    Bob McRee
    Jade Mandolins
    Hand Made for Hand Pickin'

If you would like to hear and possibly play some nice mandolins in Central Texas, there is a small community called Pearl, TX where they have a big jam once a month on the first Saturday (which happens to be tomorrow) FEB 1st. You will see Webers, Collings, Gibsons, Gilchrists, Ellis, a Martin or two, occaisionally a Nugget, among others. Many of the people there, if asked politely will let you play their mandolin, some will not. The town is between Gatesville and Lampasas. If you see a really tall guy with a Collings MT or Gibson A-3 Whiteface, that would be me. Say hello and I'll you play mine briefly.

Collings, Passernig and Ellis are all made in Austin, Tx.

as of weds. HOT still had that flatiron, I made an offer but was turned down. austin vintage guitars has a neat looking L&H oval hole, and a gibby oval hole. south austin music has a nice j bovier and 2 eastmans. strait music has a weber aspen 2, man that thing is killer. kenz guitars in georgetown had 3 quartz breedlove's a couple of weeks ago.
    good luck

kirk

I am thrilled to announce that Fiddler's Green Music Shop is about to open in central Austin. It's an all acoustic shop that I have moved from Memphis and I'm looking forward to jumping into the Austin scene. I carry Altman, Rigel, Breedlove, Weber, Eastman, and Kentucky mandolins, and I'm looking to expand even further. I hope to find some more independent builders to offer. I should be open sometime in March. In the meantime, feel free to check out my website and/or email me at Fiddlersgreen@Mac.com

Clay Levit
    Fiddler's Green Music Shop
    Ben Hodges
    Fiddler's Green Music Shop
    108 N. Main Street
    Lockhart, TX 78644
    (512) 452-3900

http://www.fiddlersgreenmusicshop.com

I went to Straight Music and Ray Hennings in Austin this week to #find and try out some nice mandolins. As usual, I was totally ignored at both places. I can safely say I'll never shop at either one of those stores again, although I've probably spent at least ten grand over the years at both places. At least that narrows down my search. You'd think with all the competition they'd at least make a token effort. Oh well.

Sid, I highly recommend you check out Fiddlers Green when Clay gets the store open in Austin. It was a big loss for Memphis when he decided to move. You will not be ignored as Clay gives personal service to all his customers. By all means play an Altman mandolin which I think are among the best of the best. I have no personal interest just a very happy customer when Clay was in Memphis. John A..
    John A,
    Altman F5

Dude your in Austin. There's no shortage of good makers in there as has already been mentioned

when will the shop be open for us to stop by? also where will it be?
    Sid, I had a awful experience at Ray's shop in temple about a year ago. never been back.

kirk

I fully intend to stop by Fiddler's Green Music Store when it opens and I look forward to meeting Clay. Hopefully the competition will force some of these complacent music stores in Austin to improve their customer service. To tell the truth, I HAVE looked into some of the mandolin makers listed above that are built around here and I'm a little intimidated by the prices. But I'm just getting started on this quest and I intend to be patient until I find the right instrument. I'll know it when I find it. The feedback here has been mostly very helpful. Thanks for all your help.

As of this week, Fiddler's Green is now open for business in Austin....and I get to work there!!!! Anytime you want to talk mandos, come on in. I can go all day!
    -Ben
    -Ben

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by (Sid @ Feb. 06 2008, 10:47)
    I went to Straight Music and Ray Hennings in Austin this week to #find and try out some nice mandolins. As usual, I was totally ignored at both places. I can safely say I'll never shop at either one of those stores again....
    I used to spend many a lunch hour hanging in Straight's when they were up on 5th St. #Always nice folks. # Sad to hear things are changing, but so much has in Austin for worse and for better I suppose. #Since I've been up north the last few years, I always wind up paying my Travis co. property taxes right around the time I'm missing SXSW. #Again. #Kind of a double whammy. #

But like my brother says, it was more fun being from Texas when President Bill was in charge. #Everything comes around and I'll be back before long. #The barbecue fires will be burning, won't they?

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

"The barbecue fires will be burning, won't they?"

Yes - and the cheese will still be melting on the Tex-Mex.
    You can't see your future in a rear view mirror.