Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Flatbacks of note

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Very interesting mandolin, Martin. #(I love the name Porfirio Martins.) #The headstock, tuners and fretboard recall Sicilian work, but the neck heel is more guitar-like. #The choice of woods seems New World. #Part of the evolutionary chain, I suppose. #I've got some pretty old Jacob recordings, though none as old as this piece for sure. # #I've often thought that the bandolim was reminiscent of the German style 'bulgeback' mandolins as you call them. # The Paracho mandolin I have seems to have characteristics of all three-but I have no idea where that tradition arrived from. Lots of double strung instruments across the spectrum of Mexican music.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Yet another interesting German mandolinetto here. Fascinating detailling: I've never seen wavy binding like this and the headstock and neck shapes are fairly curious, with little or no taper. Lovely wooden case, too.

Martin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	18c3_1.jpg 
Views:	205 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	29718  

Who said the Vietnamese had no mandolin tradition? #Here is an old flatback made by the great-great-grandfather of Antonio Tsai's plucky inlay artists in Hanoi back in 1922! #Looking at the headstock, their tastes in decoration were just as flaky then as now.

Martin

Name:	70d4_12.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	29719  

... more "batty" (diner-dinner-dinner-dinner) than flaky - wonderful all the same.

Now there's a version of the bis 'bottle opener' headstock I sink my fangs into....This was no doubt the Max Schreck signature model.

Martin, where do you find these things? The mandolinetto is very charming.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Quote Originally Posted by (brunello97 @ Feb. 11 2008, 13:38)
    This was no doubt the Max Schreck signature model.
    It looks more like the Adam West signature model. Holy headstock, Batman!

Better be carefull when you tuning the inner courses, you may end up playing your mandolin only at night.... gee, can we see what's below?

just saw it on german ebay ... of note, to be sure. you'd want to be careful tuning it.

incidentally ... just in case my arrested sense of humor went way under your head(s) - down around the ankles somewhere:

question: how does alfred call batman to the dinner table?

answer: he opens the door to the bat cave and yells "dinner-dinner-dinner-dinner ..."

i've got more of these if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by (martinjonas @ Feb. 11 2008, 09:33)
    Yet another interesting German mandolinetto here. Fascinating detailling: I've never seen wavy binding like this and the headstock and neck shapes are fairly curious, with little or no taper. Lovely wooden case, too.

Martin
    Martin:
    Do you have larger pics of this? From the small ones on eBay it looks like std checker binding.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

No, I don't, but I don't think it's normal checker binding either. The soundhole rosette, at least, looks like there are black triangular spikes sticking out from the soundhole, with the space in between being the spruce of the soundboard, rather than MOP or other binding material. The binding around the edge of the soundhole looks to me like triangular black and white pieces, but that may be an optical illusion. Close-ups would clarify this, but at least on the Ebay photos it looks very unusual to me.

Martin

Blog Entries

I really like the look of that headstock. It's almost worth the price as a wall hanger at the moment. Is the celluloid thing shaped like a L&H style A tailpiece supposed to be decorative, a string dampener, a broken tailpiece?

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Quote Originally Posted by (JEStanek @ Feb. 12 2008, 20:52)
    Is the celluloid thing shaped like a L&H style A tailpiece supposed to be decorative, a string dampener, a broken tailpiece?
    That is a standard accessory for these bowlbacks that didn;t come equipped with attached armrests. I guess it prevented your sleeve (or cufflinks) from getting caught in the strings or from rubbing your right forearm raw.

Oh man that Fledermaus mandolin will give me strange dreams. For some odd reason I can figure it out. Since Vietnam was a colony of France it looks like it has some french influences and maybe even was made in France and imported to Hanoi back then. Or the maker emigrated over there. I wish that the label were more intact. Other than the bat-stock it looks somewhat like some of the JTL flatbacks I have seen. Perhaps the vietnamese luthier copied one?

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I guess there are variants of the two-point design still to be explored. Here is one to check off the list.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MANDOLIN-UNUSUAL-Shape-Needs-HELP_W0QQitemZ300200654106QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10179 QQs
    sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage....iewItem</a>

Mick

Name:	Odd_Two_Point.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	58.6 KB 
ID:	30086  

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road

Lowell Levinger has one.

Name:	oddbalful.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	30088  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

seems to be a design/function breakdown here ... they remind me of those brooms in "fantasia:"
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Or someone who is experimenting with Photoshop!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

This one is perfect for whatever you guys are doing here. What is it your doing?

Name:	spruce_front.JPG 
Views:	203 
Size:	95.7 KB 
ID:	30167  

Quote Originally Posted by (brunello97 @ Feb. 24 2008, 19:03)
    I guess there are variants of the two-point design still to be explored. Here is one to check off the list.

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-MANDOLIN-UNUSUAL-Shape-Needs-HELP_W0QQitemZ300200654106QQihZ020QQcategoryZ10179 QQs

sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage....iewItem</a>
    I actually had a weak moment and bid at last minute for this one. Luckily (!) someone else was crazier than me.

Maybe I should have Dave Newton make me a high quality one. Sure is ugly and odd tho. Right up my alley...
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

For some reason that mandolin (not Dave's the one above that) makes me think of the penguins in Mary Poppins.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by (jgarber @ Feb. 27 2008, 14:28)
    I actually had a weak moment and bid at last minute for this one. Luckily (!) someone else was crazier than me.
    ... wish i could say "i don't know what you're on about ..."

- been there!

Hi there everyone...

Was told I might like to post this mandolin here.

J. Gindlesperger of Kansas City built this for my Great Uncle around the turn of the century (we believe late 1890s).

This was my first instrument, believe it or not, and remains my favorite mandolin I've ever played -- I get others and find myself selling them because I don't play them! Just recently I reset the neck and cleaned up all the hardware and this is the result. Plays like butter and sounds like diamonds!

But all that aside -- anyone know anything more about Grindlesperger? Seen any others? I know he also made guitars.

Jake

the flatback below is made by ozark in romania (i think) and is sometimes called a "portugese" mandolin. they're usually made from solid wood; very well priced and pop up often enough on european ebay sites.

why is it such a turkey?

ozark make other models as well and i'm sure for what they are, they're all very good instruments ... but this model, for me, has all the allure of a soviet-style tenement in cold-war, east berlin.

Name:	2001.jpg 
Views:	178 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	30335  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by (brunello97 @ Jan. 20 2008, 11:06)
    Pau ferro (from my limited research) is not from the proper rosewood (Dalbergia) family and hence not directly related to the cocobolo(s). #I've seen a few references to its species name, Machaerium #schleroxylum, appearing the most often. # The name Caesalpinia echinata shows up for pau ferro often,
    I just had this conversation (or one just like it) with a fly fishing buddy. The guy knows the latin name for all the 17,000 bugs I call mayflies.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

It isn't German, but I don't think Chris Baird built a large number of them, and my Arches flat-top has a flat-back as well so I think it adds value to this thread. #

This is by far my favorite mandolin I have ever owned to date. It is a wonderful player, has great tone, is exceptionally well made, and is beautiful to look at as well IMHO...

Name:	Arches__front__25_.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	58.1 KB 
ID:	30337  
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

Cocobolo back...

Name:	Arches__back__25_.jpg 
Views:	181 
Size:	77.1 KB 
ID:	30338  
    "The problem with quotes on the internet, is everybody has one, and most of them are wrong."
    ~ Mark Twain

Mandolin shirts, hats, case stickers, & more at my Zazzle storefront

26. The following members say thank you to Jim MacDaniel for this post: