Thread: New Tailpieces

Hi guys,
    Yes it is true, I am not writing to put off the date anymore, the new tailpieces are here. Here's what it looks like rough:

Ugly eh?
    Well here it is cleaned up and installed:

That's a mirror finish and the alloy is spot on for gold (though, please note, it is not legally considered gold though containing small quantities of the stuff), and it is solid, not plated. This one is strung up on the latest octave mandolin which has about 30 pounds on each string, more than a mandolin, so you know the tailpiece is quite sturdy.
    Also available will be solid Sterling silver, though I don't have one to show as of yet.
    They've come out beyond my expectations and will be standard on my instruments from now on... Some of you had an interest in some as well, I will be glad to provide them to anyone who may need something original for their mando. You'll know you're getting something 100% made in America (by a Virginia boy!).

I mentioned that the price would be around US$40 and I've tried to stick as close to that as possible. Because I have employed the skills of a professional metal caster/jewelery maker for the rough castings, I've had to factor in his price as well, at least partially, as well as the price of the more expensive raw materials than initially intended. So I hope US$55 is reasonable for a jewelry-quality tailpiece. This is the same price for either solid Sterling or the "gold." In addition they are undrilled, leaving open all opportunites for customizing. If you would like a standard Gibson hole pattern I'm not going to charge extra. We can discuss the possibility of any custom hole patterns as well. Standard ground shipping at no charge if you're in North America. Sound ok?
    So, US$55 each, shipped. If you're a real eager character and you want more than just a few, perhaps we can work out a deal, send me an email why don't ye. You may reach me at brian@bfolk.com

Thanks for all of your (every one of ye's) interest and suggestions throughout the design process.

-Brian

That is an elegant looking tailpiece. Nice work.

That's my octave sporting the new tailpiece. As soon as I get a chance to test drive it I will post a report.
    It's an easier road to vengence than to mercy, but an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Bach gave us God's Word. Beethoven gave us God's fire. Mozart gave us God's laughter. God gave us music so that we might pray without words.

Another picture for you all:

Hmm, Static Gravity cast or Spun on a casting machine?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Received my octave #with the new tailpiece monday and have played about 8 hours in the last two days. #First impression is very positive. It looks great and the mandolin sounds great so the tailpiece does the job.
    It's an easier road to vengence than to mercy, but an eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind.

Bach gave us God's Word. Beethoven gave us God's fire. Mozart gave us God's laughter. God gave us music so that we might pray without words.