Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Favorite mandolin

Many folks on this list have at least a few instruments. I was just wondering what mandolin is the one you reach for first. I realize that there are times when one may be more suitable than another, depending on the music, the mood of the player, the weather conditions, etc. I know that some mandolins are intended for orchestra playing and some for solos. I know that some folks may just have one nearby within reach for that moment of inspiration, but that when it comes to playing in public may use another, more suitable mandolin.

In any case, the one I keep by my side for most occasions is my Pandini. It is needing some adjustments but still sings sweetly and plays very nicely. I also have my Lyon & Healy A, which I have taken on gigs where I need to play a greater variety of music, venturing into the American old time country and Irish repertoire as well as the classical and Italian pieces.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Gibson F-5 Master Model #73675

Jim, you DO tempt me to quote Mae West...
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

I use the reach method. Whichever mando is within reach I play.

Joy to all,
    Ken
    Less talk, more pick.

My favorite is my 1908 Martin...and I wish it wasn't. It is one-of-a-kind (one of Longworth's "unidentified specials"), and keeping it as my main player gives me some concern. I suppose I need to get something else in as good playing order and learn to like it.

My favorite is my Collins A. It is a perfect instrument. I play the others (a 1907 Martin bowlback and a 1980s East German bowlback) quite frequently, however.
    Robert A. Margo

Quote Originally Posted by (vkioulaphides @ June 09 2004, 08:31)
    Jim, you DO tempt me to quote Mae West... #
    Victor... you tempt us... please do quote MW.

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by (margora @ June 09 2004, 10:10)
    My favorite is my Collins A. #It is a perfect instrument. #I play the others (a 1907 Martin bowlback and a 1980s East German bowlback) quite frequently, however.
    Robert:
    Is this a Collings or a Collins?

Jim
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Well, to paraphrase the latter-day, bawdy actress / determinist philosopher: "If I'm not with the mando I love, I love the mando I'm with."

As you know, I have (just) one in every port and therefore it's always the local mando that's the favorite one.

Only in my New York home do I have two: the baby Calace and the Ceccherini; and among those two, I try to distribute my affections equally.
    It is not man that lives but his work. (Ioannis Kapodistrias)

Collings, sorry. Slip of the keyboard.
    Robert A. Margo

I'm surprised to report that I'm still reaching for my Troubadour Josquin. This thing sounds incredible! It's even better now that I've thrown on some Boston strings (first time using them, and VERY happy). It's also very comfortable to hold and play. The fact that it was only $200 just makes it that much better.
    "...almost the whole world is asleep. Everybody you know. Everybody you see. Everybody you talk to. ...only a few people are awake and they live in a state of constant total amazement."

At this time, my bowlback time is mainly divided between the newest example, the Monzino, (about half the time), and the Stahl and Kevorkian. The F4 also gets some attention.

It's sort of surprising to me that, no matter what I'm playing, I seem to sound better on the Gibson. I suspect it has a lot to do with a 30-year association. Still, I love the bowlback sound, which no Gibson will ever produce.

Phoenix Neoclassical. It gives me the flexibility that I need to play the various styles that I am called on to play and it always sounds great.

Jim

mine is the Pomeroy that Don started building yesterday. it probably is only a couple of scraps at the present time but i can still dream.
    Everybody has to believe in something, and I believe I'll have another beer.

See comment below!
    I will give up my Collings "A" when they pry it from my cold dead hands!

I use my Weber Bridger (A model, oval hole) when I am playing anything Italian or classical sounding. A student of mine also recently bought one that sounds fantastic.........I love these things!
    Is anyone else using one?

Cheers,
    Mark
    Mark Levesque and Judy Handler
    International and Classical Music
    http://www.judyandmark.com
    http://www.youtube.com/user/acousticblend
    The New American Mandolin Ensemble on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4L...uROoOXFj6GVSg/

custom Red Diamond F5. She sounds like a dream. I had the neck angle pitched forward are bit so now when I am playing classical or jazz I just lower the action down. It is practially on the fingerboard and not a single buzz to be found. I love it!

Sorry to be predictable but......mines my Baby - 1933 Luigi Embergher. We're seldom apart........
    ALI

I just flip a coin and let it decide for me which of my two A.Lawrence Smart mandolins I'll play. It's a beutiful thing ... heads or tails, I still win!!!

I have a John Garrity mandolin coming soon. Does anyone know where I might be able to find a three sided coin???
    Bluegrass ... "It's Folk Music With An Overbite" (Robert Shelton)
    www.waynefugate.com

did snow white have a favorite dwarf?, even grumpy got a condecending pat on the head.
    [i wanted to put in 7 emoticons, but it wasn't allowed]
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

My Lyon & Healy B

George

My Givens A is my couch mandolin. Too ugly to take to the dance, but she can sure sing pretty.
    Clyde Clevenger
    Salem, Oregon
    www.myspace.com/oldcircle
    Just my opinion, but it's right.

I was trying to get a census of the players who play classical here who plays what as their main instrument (or the one they reach for first at home and first to play a concert).

Any more takers? Alex? Richard? Plami? Others?

Jim

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I play classical music on my Hohner 2 point. This Mandolin sounds good no matter what type music it plays or rather i play on it.

Rigel G-110-- great playability and killer tone. Makes even me sound decent.

Matt Mc